Losing Weight So far so good (any tips)

This forum is for members to discuss topics that do not relate to anime music videos.

Re: Losing Weight So far so good (any tips)

Postby Gene Starwind 21122 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:46 am

Wow that's really great ngsilver. Only if I could convience one of my friends it's not impossible to drop weight like that. He complains about it and doesn't do anything. He says he tries for a month and does not get anywhere. I told him he has to stick with it.
No matter what, stay calm, stay cool and live life to the fullest.
Plus as Gene would say always go big in life.
Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator 2007-2011
Katsucon AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2011
T-Mode Contest Coordinator 2013
Nekocon AMV Contest Coordinator 2014
Gene Starwind 21122

Postby hasteroth » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:49 pm

ngsilver wrote:You seem to be doing quite well with what you're doing.

For me the big thing is diet. Not exactly dieting, but messing with my diet. Eating regular meals (I eat 2 moderately sized meals a day and rarely snack in-between), portion control, and cutting down on grain while increasing protein/fat (I LOVE pasta and Pizza, so I add more meat to each of these to offset the carbs.) Also part of my deal was cutting out stress and eating out less and making my own meals, even for lunch, more regularly. All in all, since I started thing last year I've dropped from 320 to 275 on diet alone. I had set a goal at the beginning of the year to be down to my college weight of 225~250 (I started college at 250 and dropped to 225 my freshman year due to biking 12 miles a day going to and from campus) by starting exercise but an injury bowling and surgery on my leg had put a stop to that. However, I got a Y membership that begins in August and plan to start swimming again due to being low impact and something I love doing (I used to be on a swim team for our local Y back in the day) so maybe I'll hit that magic number by the time I head to Florida for my xmas vacation. Either way, the upside of everything so far for me is I've dropped down a few sizes and need to make new holes in my belts.

I've dropped from 206lbs to 172lbs in a few months, I may as well buy a new belt as I've already put 6 new holes in this one...
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.
hasteroth
lost the bet

Postby ngsilver » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:06 pm

Gene Starwind 21122 wrote:Wow that's really great ngsilver. Only if I could convience one of my friends it's not impossible to drop weight like that. He complains about it and doesn't do anything. He says he tries for a month and does not get anywhere. I told him he has to stick with it.

The big thing is to stick with it. It took me a while to really begin loosing weight as I put on lbs at first. Honestly, I'm sure most doctors would be surprised with the weight loss I've had considering my diet consists of little to no fruits or veggies (fries are about the only form of veggies I eat, and what comes in my pasta and pizza sauce and salsa is the rest) but it works for me. I think a lot of it is the lack of Red Meat in my diet, but I've never really eaten red meat even as a kid.

hasteroth wrote:I've dropped from 206lbs to 172lbs in a few months, I may as well buy a new belt as I've already put 6 new holes in this one...

I may need to do that eventually. But even when I was in high school I wore a size 36~40 (depending on the brand), so dropping from a 44 down to 38 isn't that big of a deal. I can't say I'm big boned, but I've always been built like a line backer. I don't ever expect to drop below 200 lbs and I'm pretty sure I'd look anemic if I did.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy

Postby Gene Starwind 21122 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:34 am

So far I've stuck with it. I haven't been able to run the past couple of days. I've been moving furniture and getting the house ready. So I'll be running again tonight. For the first time in 6 years I'm below 170. I'm down to 169 now. It amazing what happens when you cut out all the fast food and soda how much weight you can lose.

Gene
Gene Starwind 21122

Postby Amaterasu » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:15 am

Sounds like you're doing good. I started at 255 in January and am currently 200lbs. My biggest tip would be to eat whole foods, rather than foods with a lot of "fake" ingredients; it's also fine to have a "cheat day" once-per-week where you can eat anything you want in order to keep you from losing control of your diet. Also, like it was mentioned before, drink a LOT of water. Coffee is an appetite suppressant that you can drink as well, but avoid cream because it's loaded with fat
Amaterasu
Lets Positive Thinking

Postby Gene Starwind 21122 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:44 am

It's been a while since I've updated this. I've stayed on my diet and exercise, and since the beginning of it I have lost 19 lbs. I am now down to 162. So I'm not too far from 155. Which would be a very good weight for me. At least close to what a lot of the sites say that a person of my height should be weighing.
Gene Starwind 21122

Postby animefreak00007 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:11 am

Keep going at it you're doing great. I need to start trying to drop weight again. I had done kind of a similar thing back in college, I went from 272lbs down to 180lbs. I kept that for about a year, and then unfortunately I started having more work to do in school, was working 2 jobs (three if you count the web series class I took and they basically had us work like it was our job for free... they fed us food though, but it was mostly pizza which isn't very healthy for you), and developed tendonitis in both knees most likely from my workout (which was P90X and INSANITY at the same time both have a lot of jumping and one of the things that causes tendonitis is high impact moves and jumping moves) and as a result I'm back up to 230lbs, but I'm maintaining there and have been for about a year now. Every time I seem to start losing weight though my tendonitis flares up and it hurts to do anything physical... and I think I've kind of plateaued at 230 with just diet alone.
I'm rooting for you though, and you've kind of inspired me to try some new things out and see if I can't at least get back under 200lbs again. I probably should really be closer to 160lbs or 170lbs but really if I could get back into the 100lb range again even if it's the high 100lb range and maintain that I'd be pretty happy.
animefreak00007

Postby Fire_Starter » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:54 pm

I used to be able to run 5 miles in the woods and actually feel pretty good afterwards. But those were my college days. Now...well, that's why I'm doing the following:

MyFitnessPal is pretty great for tracking calories. Give it some basic starting info, set a goal, and it will tell you what to stay under each day. Plus the database is rather sizeable, and also lets you scan barcodes. For your own stuff, you can input receipes as well.

To that, I linked my RunKeeper account, so it automatically accounts for my workouts and adjusts the daily totals accordingly. And if I update my weight in one, it's reflected in the other. Whenever I run, my phone comes with me. Currently I'm at week 3 on the Couch to 5K bit.

Also linked to RunKeeper is a Fitocracy account, which is basically levelling up by working out. Always log your workouts for that sweet XP, lol.

On the non-technology side of things, some decent vitamins will help make up for what you might not get from eating.

I've only been really sticking to MFP for the past week, but I've dropped 3lbs in that time. A bit faster than is recommended, but that's also due to the initial rapid drop people get anyway, plus switching to drinking nothing but water. It'll even out here in a couple weeks, so I'm not too worried. 3lbs down, 47 to go, and a planned half-marathon at the end of April.

Hey mods, hatabout an AMV Fitness forum?
Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010
Fire_Starter

Postby Gene Starwind 21122 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:17 pm

I could see it now. It would consist of DDR AMV's.

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into them.

Gene
Gene Starwind 21122

Previous

Return to General Discussion