Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

WRITE OR DIE

Post by ZephyrStar » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi keeeds.

|:> |:> |:>

It's almost November. November is also known as National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo for short. Last year, I made a thread and tried to provoke some of you into writing your novel, and updating your progress in the thread. I'm gonna do that again this year! I'm personally already starting to worldbuild for an eventual novella series I want to self publish, and will start trying to crank out the first volume of that any day now.

That's the beauty, while November may be NaNoWriMo, we can write whatever and whenever we want, year round!

Some pointers:

-Just write. Doesn't matter how good or bad or whatever it is, if you have an idea that you like, just get it down on paper.
-Try and write a little bit every day, set aside an hour or two and just sit and write.
-Write whatever the hell you feel like. Last year I wrote a rough draft of a screenplay and updated a bunch of other random stuff instead of a novel.
-You could even do your school work! Write a report, work on your thesis.
-There is a NaNoWriMo website thing you can sign up for, you don't have to sign up for that if you don't want to, I didn't.
-Feel free to share what you're writing in the thread, or don't. Up to you and perfectly fine. I actually don't because I don't want people to steal my good ideas :ying:
-But, I will give progress reports and updates! And I'll encourage all who try. If you would like me to read your stuff and give you my opinions, I'll be glad to do that as well.
-Don't wait for November, let's get started today!

So, what are you writing?

FarmXD
Farmer Farm wants to battle!
Org Profile

Re: WRITE OR DIE

Post by FarmXD » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:21 pm

Oh this is interesting, I write a lot, but never tried in english.
I think I can try this month :)

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:22 pm

ZephyrStar wrote: I don't want people to steal my good ideas
Is the idea the only thing valuable, or is it your execution and point of view, which can only be yours?
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:50 pm

I need to get in gear for this :up:

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:17 pm

Brad wrote:
ZephyrStar wrote: I don't want people to steal my good ideas
Is the idea the only thing valuable, or is it your execution and point of view, which can only be yours?
Super valid point. 1% idea, 99% execution and your point of view.

So, I'm writing a "fantasy pirate adventure novel series." Each person who used that idea would come up with something totally different. That brings up another excellent point as well. When you read that quoted line, what was the first thing in your head? One Piece? Treasure Planet? Pirates of the Caribbean? Pixar has this list of do's and don'ts for story writing, and one of my favorites of theirs is "never use the first thing that comes to mind, or the second, or the third, because those things are usually your mind relating to the latest thing you saw or read."

I find that to be very true for me, so I take the idea that I like, and I spend a long time making it my own.

Kristyrat
Time-traveling penguin
Org Profile

Post by Kristyrat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:37 pm

I'm actually excited about this. I don't have a novel in mind, but I do have some comics that I've been meaning to actually flesh out. I likely won't shoot for 50k words, but four of five issues of a couple different ideas? Definitely.

Count me in :up:

Mr. Fuzzyflippers
Lets Positive Thinking
Org Profile

Post by Mr. Fuzzyflippers » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:27 pm

I may finally start my visual novel that I've wanted to work on. It's an alternate-history drama with a not-so-subtle critique of Voluntaryism.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:03 am

I most probably won't actually be writing this November, but I'll be happy to offer people feedback :)

It's just that I've reached a point in my current work on a novel where I need to wrap up a few edits and tweaks to my preliminary materials, then sit on them for a few weeks before continuing. My gut instinct tells me that I need the break to come back to the thing with a fresh mind before continuing. Those few weeks definitely won't be up by November, and I don't want to commit to any other projects right now. Will be interesting what people come up with though :O
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

FarmXD
Farmer Farm wants to battle!
Org Profile

Post by FarmXD » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:12 am

What about...a graphic novel?

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:13 am

FarmXD wrote:What about...a graphic novel?
That works! :up:

Technically, the thing I was working on was also a visual novel. It just got... really complicated after a certain point, and I'd decided to novelize the idea for now >__>
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Return to “General Discussion”