Obama Wins!

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
meleechampion
Org Profile

Re: Obama Wins!

Post by meleechampion » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:01 pm

Qyot27 wrote:But how many do you wanna bet will stand up to defend the Electoral College because it got them Bush, but now talk out the other side of their mouth and started to decry it just because they lost before the popular vote further secured that fact?
Oh come on, even the repubs can agree Bush was a pretty bad president. :D

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:00 pm

"If you think this countries bad off now, just wait 'till I get through with it!"
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:37 pm

Romney never had a chance anyhow; best campaign wins. But there's no new loss to the people, both candidates were more of the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uduJu7QRd40

This man could have been in office too. Fuck you America. Ordering my fucking RP sweater today and I'm never taking that shit off.
Image Image

trythil
is
Org Profile

OK, serious mode

Post by trythil » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:40 pm

Amaterasu wrote:It's not that I like to see Democrats win, but I LOVE to see Republicans lose.
CodeZTM wrote:Ok, so I haven't been able to properly celebrate anywhere else (my family is CRYING and my facebook people probably wouldn't approve), and I've had to be rather calm about it, so please pardon me for a second.
Taite wrote:Romney never had a chance anyhow; best campaign wins. But there's no new loss to the people, both candidates were more of the same.

This man could have been in office too. Fuck you America. Ordering my fucking RP sweater today and I'm never taking that shit off.
STOP THAT SHIT.

This is the same problem that many members of the US Senate and House of Representatives have, which I think can summarize as "too much man". There is too much insistence on winning and almost no discussion of the veracity or implications of statements like these:
The issues facing society at all levels are complex interdisciplinary problems that rarely, if ever, come down to a single optimal solution. Societal well-being (health), energy, immigration, foreign policy can all be described in terms of many tradeoffs. (For example: healthy human beings are generally more effective than sick ones; it stands to reason that we could make many aspects of US society better by enforcing good health. But that presents problems in implementation as well as design.) Different people are going to see different tradeoffs as optimal.

You're going to need cooperation and iteration, not antagonism, to figure this one out. You're going to need to be able to monitor the effectiveness of policy changes and be ready to react, working only with small changes and clearly presenting rationale for those changes. The people whose lives are affected by this policy must be willing to engage in the same (or greater) degree of cooperation as those who represent them; policy is nothing if it is ignored.
Poor sportsmanship, while humorous (I've done it a lot), doesn't get us any closer to a government that actually works. It will ensure deadlock, which can be useful in some situations, but I don't think it's the best way forward.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:58 pm

Actually, I was celebrating progress, not so much who won the damn election. I could give two flying dinos who's president or which side wins, all I care about is them forward marching us towards social equality for all. And until Republicans put up someone who's socially/morally/ethically bankrupt, then I'm putting on my damn party hat when Democrats win some seats or the Presidency.
Last edited by CodeZTM on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:11 pm

CodeZTM wrote:Actually, I was celebrating progress, not so much who won the damn election. I could give two flying dinos who's president or which side wins, all I care about is them forward marching us towards social equality for all. And until Republicans put up someone who's socially/morally/ethically bankrupt, then I'm putting on my damn party hat when Democrats win some seats or the Presidency. |:>
First off, you edited "socially/morally/ethically bankrupt" to "socially/morally/ethically moderate". In repeated previews, I noticed that you truncated even more of your original post.

I will respond to your original post.

Second: This is an instance of the problem I'm talking about. I think there's a big jump from "disagreeing with Romney's morals" to "morally bankrupt" and I don't know how you're making that jump. Nor do I think it's productive.

I do not agree with some of Romney's policies; I made some arguments against his energy policy in a previous thread, for example. I don't think, however, that attacks on his character really get us anywhere.

If you're referring to comments made by i.e. Todd Akin on "legitimate rape", then yes, those were some bizarre comments, and probably don't speak well of him. I don't think, however, that they are relevant to politics.

If or when he attempts to introduce policy that reflects a "legitimate rape" philosophy, that policy can be challenged (and likely shot down). Repeated attempts to introduce such policy can be taken as evidence that Akin (or whoever) is serving as a poor representative, as he is introducing policy that is not in the best interest of the nation. (That's actually a tricky thing to define; sometimes "best interest" hurts. In this particular case, though, the answer is less fuzzy.)

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:16 pm

Well, I went ahead and re-edited it back. Originally, I felt like I over-killed on the terminology, but it's fairly accurate to how I fel, so back it is.

But yeah, you hit the nail on the head with my intent.

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:30 pm

trythil wrote: There is too much insistence on winning and almost no discussion of the veracity or implications of statements like these:
The topic is called "Obama Wins!" ?? The majority of this thread is mainly just reactions to that simple fact.

And I have no problem with discussions over those kinds of statements, or about the electoral college and whatever else was brought up, but personally I'm going to leave my two cents on this matter. Me talking in an online forum over such statements isn't going to make anyone in the government reach across the aisle anyhow. I can discuss whatever, sure. But I'd rather talk about it face to face with people anyhow, not over a screen. So anyone making a simple comment online isn't all of a sudden a hindrance to the progress of our nation. And just because they choose not to comment on certain statements doesn't mean that the only opinion they have about the matter is "I'm glad Obama won." I'm sure everyone has a lengthy opinion about any topic/policy/politician/whatever you want to talk about, but an online forum isn't the best format for those discussions anyhow, and I've gradually been getting more tired of having to sit in front of a screen and type things for long periods of time just to have a discussion with people. Seems kind of ridiculous to me.

But really, go discuss/debate, it's healthy. But for me, yeah, I am disappointed in the election, would have been disappointed either way I think. I would have liked Ron Paul, for numerous reasons. Sorry for that? I'd appreciate it if people could be left to state such simple opinions without being attacked for causing the progress of our nation to falter.
Image Image

inthesto
Beef Basket
Org Profile

Post by inthesto » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Taite wrote:Romney never had a chance anyhow; best campaign wins. But there's no new loss to the people, both candidates were more of the same.

Cool, hope you realize you're endorsing a man who believes there should be a constitutional ban on gay marriage, wants to fight wars with mercenaries, and thinks the Civil Rights Act should be repealed.
Sukunai, Real Canadian Hero wrote:Note to any Muslims present. Abuse a female in my presence, and you are being sent to a hospital emergency ward with life threatening injuries. And no human law will make me change my mind.

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:46 pm

That's fine, I realize there are iffy things surrounding a person I endorse, rumor or not, (which I don't think you or anyone would know the truth of anyhow), as well as Obama and Romney and every other politician. But I don't feel it necessary to defend my views against yours. I could bash who you endorse, which I'm guessing is Obama, and say something like enjoy 20 trillion dollars of debt or whatever, but I realize I'll be forced to endure the same things so it's kind of pointless.
Image Image

Return to “General Discussion”