Politics

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
inthesto
Beef Basket
Org Profile

Re: Politics

Post by inthesto » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:13 am

lloyd9988 wrote:I think I just watched a video that instantly turned me into a republican. . . Maybe its too soon to say but its quite eye opening for me and fits strongly with my moral beliefs :shock:
I'm genuinely curious what this video is.
Sukunai, Real Canadian Hero wrote:Note to any Muslims present. Abuse a female in my presence, and you are being sent to a hospital emergency ward with life threatening injuries. And no human law will make me change my mind.

inthesto
Beef Basket
Org Profile

Post by inthesto » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:19 am

Tangentially related: This lecture proposes a fundamental difference between how liberals and conservatives frame moral decisions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f9R9MtkpqM

Gotta get past the shitty intro, though.
Sukunai, Real Canadian Hero wrote:Note to any Muslims present. Abuse a female in my presence, and you are being sent to a hospital emergency ward with life threatening injuries. And no human law will make me change my mind.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:21 am

inthesto wrote:
lloyd9988 wrote:I think I just watched a video that instantly turned me into a republican. . . Maybe its too soon to say but its quite eye opening for me and fits strongly with my moral beliefs :shock:
This possibly? Just my guess based upon the context between that and this this one.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:23 am

inthesto wrote:Tangentially related: This lecture proposes a fundamental difference between how liberals and conservatives frame moral decisions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f9R9MtkpqM

Gotta get past the shitty intro, though.
This is a really cool video.
I like the thoughts and ideas behind this.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:07 am

CodeZTM wrote:
inthesto wrote:
This possibly? Just my guess based upon the context between that and this this one.
I dunno, i just watched the trailer for that documentary. It looks like a good documentary, but it also appears to be about a failing education system. however AFAIK the republicans are the ones that typically cut education funding, and generally harm the education system.

Emong
A Damaged Lemon
Org Profile

Post by Emong » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:06 pm

Richard Wolff (a very good speaker btw, check out his lectures on YouTube) has a nice article on Truthout: Capitalism's Ideological Crutches

He makes a nice point about the common opposition against the government amongst the public. One should be aware that there's nothing subversive/critical about opposing politicians and public authorities. Quite the opposite: such criticism is perfectly incorporated to the normal functioning of the system. Who is against governmental intervention today? Not the keynesian left who favor economic interventions by the government but the neoliberal right who oppose them (with the exception of bailouts of course).
The mainstream ideology that works best as capitalism's crutch is blame the government. This interpretation of modern society insists that the ultimate root and cause of economic problems is the government, not capitalism nor capitalists. If you are unemployed, foreclosed, or underpaid, the problem is not the capitalist who refuses to employ you, evicts you, or pays you poorly. It is instead partly your own fault, but mostly that of the government: the politicians and the bureaucrats.

Blame-the-government ideology serves capitalists and the rich executives, managers, professionals and advisers who depend on them. They can boost their profits and wealth by cutting wages, jobs and benefits, using toxic technologies, relocating businesses overseas, jacking up prices, foreclosing, evicting, and so on. They can provoke global crises and take massive bailouts with public money. To cover all that, business and political leaders, media spokespersons and academics compose a chorus that endlessly repeats, "blame the government." They seek to transform that idea into "common sense" so victims of capitalists' actions will automatically not blame them, but instead get angry at politicians.

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:12 pm

CodeZTM wrote:
inthesto wrote:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/answer ... point.html

Don't watch it... Its not worth it v.v

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:12 pm

CodeZTM wrote:
inthesto wrote:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/answer ... point.html

Don't watch it... Its not worth it v.v

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:26 pm

So did anyone see the DNC last night? I've yet to watch it in full, but I hear that Bill Clinton gave a good speech. I'll probably listen to it this weekend, just wondering what the org thought of it.

8bit_samurai
Hmm...
Org Profile

Post by 8bit_samurai » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:33 pm

Under Construction

Return to “General Discussion”