Patrick Bohnet (Quu) Has Passed Away

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
xnamkcor
Org Profile

Re: Patrick Bohnet (Quu) Has Passed Away

Post by xnamkcor » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:17 pm

I have no idea who Quu is, but he will be missed. Best of luck for his Wife and Daughter.
WE DRAMATIZE IT COMPLETELY!

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:24 pm

Although I haven't gone to AWA in some time due to school and finances, Patrick was always a familiar face there and I did once get the chance to chat with him and his wife in the hotel lobby one year... His impact on this community can't be understated. Wishing the best for his family.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:32 pm

Quu was always a lot of fun to talk with in IRC :( He was one of the only people at AWA fighting to make Pro way more awesome than it is. It makes me really, really sad I didn't get to meet him in person....

I will pray for his family.

RIP Buddy :beer:

Centurione
Org Profile

Post by Centurione » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:54 pm

Rest in peace, Quu :(

Seijin_Dinger
Moron #69
Org Profile

Post by Seijin_Dinger » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:33 pm

Im gonna miss hearing about what amazing food dish he is making or currently has made in the chat room
RIP Patrick
Sakura-Con AMV Contest 2005-2012, Vice Chairman 2013-2014

Tsukin
Org Profile

Post by Tsukin » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:38 pm

I haven't talked to him much, but I know how long he's been with the org and I remember catching a couple of his vids back in the day, especially his Escaflowne part in the DDR 3rd mix project, which was one of my favorite segments, he was a great editor and he will be missed :( Rest In Peace Quu

madmallard
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:51 pm

xnamkcor wrote:I have no idea who Quu is, but he will be missed. Best of luck for his Wife and Daughter.
Here's some information, so you have a bit more of an idea just on the AMV front how his life affected us.

Quu was a person whom fell in love with AMVs since before the turn of the century as a fandom he saw with even greater potential. He was an experienced programmer and systems tester, as well as a happy hacker who crossed paths with us at AWA.

Together with Jingoro, we oversaw the Video Art Track or VAT at AWA-6. The idea was to have one room thats entire programming was AMVs and original video parodies (such as Corn Pone Flick) for the entire duration of the con.

Quu was also a person who saw on the horizon the chance for digital video editing to become attainable to those who before had only 2 VCRs to make videos with. He helped spread the word of the possibilities of real-time editing with the Pinnacle DV500 and streamlined playback solution of the Hollywood/Netstream. In 2001, these things cost less than $1000 and allowed people with even a Pentium Pro 200mhz machine to play back nearly flawless mpeg2 videos, at a time when the fastest processor was the first gen Athlon 700mhz. He spread the word religiously about these technologies to anyone who would listen and freely offered his help in using them.

He stressed the idea of AMV screening should be a completely transparent viewing experience, never to show a 'windows' logo during playback, no evidence a computer was at work.

And for a time, he pretty much single-handedly drove up and down the east coast and into Canada offering his equipment and his insight into AMV digital mastering, playback, and contest organisation.

He used his talents as a system tester to parse and iron out everything that didn't work, and never kept a secret from anyone who asked what DID work. He essentially gave us the standards for capturing/mastering MPEG2 that can STILL be used today to run a very effective AMV contest.

The VAT was the source of alot of firsts in the AMV world because of Quu's influence. The first AMV dance that he and Jingoro asked me to run. Brad Demoss was in attendance and was so excited, he went on to help collect AMV editors for the next AWA in essentially the very first MEP, the Dance Dance Revolution 3 megamix project.

VAT was the start of Iron-Chef style editing, where we assembled 2 identical machines with real-time editing cards and a time limit to make an amv.

Quu had in recent years pulled out of convention life to focus on developing his marriage, and recently his role as a father. Quu returned to us at AWA a couple years ago, and along with Kholaras who had been filling his technical role at AWA, began to lay the foundations for us to move to the next generation of High Definition video mastering and screening.

This is a staggering turn in our community.
Main Events Director Anime Weekend Atlanta, Kawaii-kon

madmallard
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:57 pm

one of my earlier AMV memories with Quu involved me, MCWagner who was a volunteer staff at the time, and would later go on to be VAT Director, in Patrick's house helping to copy the judging video screeners for Pro contest. ^_^

We used to distribute the screeners on VHS because the fastest internet DSL connections were still only 1.5 mps. SO we had 3 tapes of screeners per judge. And 30~40 contestants O_o.

We would basically set up VCRs in sequence connected to the playback computers, and assembler mailer packages. It was the first thing of such a scale I had done in my life honestly.

madmallard
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:00 pm

prayers for this beautiful child.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYc1hcjqWck

FarmXD
Farmer Farm wants to battle!
Org Profile