Patrick Bohnet (Quu) Has Passed Away

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Re: Patrick Bohnet (Quu) Has Passed Away

Post by Kusoyaro » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:11 pm

I haven't been here in a very long time, but I figured this would be an appropriate place to pay my respects.

RIP Patrick. You were a wonderful friend and mentor. If you were still here, I'm sure you would scoff at the word "mentor", but it's true. You were always humble and self-deprecating about your role in the AMV community, but it is absolutely staggering the number of lives you touched through your hard work, dedication and passion. I can honestly say that your support and encouragement directly resulted in the life and friends I have today.

So thank you, friend, and farewell...
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

[madaraxD]
L1king Lolis
Org Profile

Post by [madaraxD] » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:50 pm

FarmXD wrote:Man, too many loss in this community this year...such a shame :(
:cry: . Rest in peace Quu

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:15 pm

My condolences to his family and friends.

It's weird how fast things can just flip around as I saw him hop on like what seemed only yesterday. It is very sad to see yet another familiar face go. My thoughts go out to those close to Patrick.

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:50 pm

I didn't know him that well, but it saddens me to see another editor pass away. May he R.I.P
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:00 pm

Now that I've been able to process and sleep, let me tell you how I met Quu, and why without him, I would not be an editor, and all that followed after. Meeting Quu was literally life-altering, for without that one decision to pursue editing and involvement in the Org... The last 14 or so years of my life would be very different.

Spring break of 1998, my parents bought my first computer. It was a VAIO, 32MB of ram (I paid for an upgrade to 64MB later), the very first DVD player in my household, 300mhz processor, and 6GB of harddrive space. None of that mattered at the moment, for my first interest was finding people who liked anime. It was simply not common yet. It was pretty much right before the floodgates opened. People who liked anime were still a very unknown subgroup, and one that was present mostly at anime clubs on college campuses. I hadn't even started high school yet. As far as I knew, I was one of very few people scattered around the country which gave a damn about this foreign art form. With my own computer and the internet at my disposal, this changed.

As my vacation continued I found usenet, and most specifically alt.fan.sailor-moon, this lead to the irc channel #sailormoon (which still exists... on efnet, iirc). I had always enjoyed writing, so I was encouraged to start writing Sailor Moon fanfiction, which I did. Eventually, there was a move to form a fanfiction only channel. That fanfiction channel is called #fanfics on irc.sorcery.net and is still active. The group became very tight with the general anime fanfiction community, specifically the fanfiction mailing list, or FFML. The officially IRC for the FFML was the FFIRC, #fanfic, on what would become later irc.nabiki.net. Now, you'll have to forgive me, it's been so long my memories are fuzzy. I don't remember exact dates or conversations. I don't remember exactly who was in the channel versus who was on the AMV mailing list, and maybe Phade can correct any deficiencies in my telling. Conversations were going on about the same topics in both. As early as the summer of 1998, I had been playing around with putting together some videos. I had no idea anyone else was doing the same. I gave up.

Quu was a regular, and that was how I met him. I imagine this was... 1999? Likely not too long after I became a regular of the channel myself. It was in this way that I was introduced to anime music videos as a hobby, as a community, and as a group which, unbeknownst to me, I was part of. I was not alone in my digital editing putterings. Why we would we be discussing anime music videos in an anime fanfiction IRC channel? Well, that's the thing, for Quu (and for me, and you know it if you know anything about kiovids, as godix used to call them) anime music videos were like the next iteration of fanfiction. You could use scenes from the anime to tell stories about the characters just like you would if you wrote it down. I mean, people used songfics (that is, using lyrics from songs to tell stories about anime characters), well why not use an actual song to video of the actual characters? And we forsaw in that idea the explosion that would happen not just in character profiles like we could do first with deck to deck editing, but also all of the complex rotoscoping and reanimation which has marked some of our most amazing creations as a community. This was the vision, a vision he had in the early days, and a vision I loved exploring with him, even though it was theoretical. Now, of course, we take those ideas of amv craftsmanship for granted, but they were just ideas at the time. We were imagining things that could only be done in the mind or by big studios. I went back to editing, and Quu, and Phade, and Waldo were very encouraging.

At some point in this process there was a call for an organised website for cataloging all of these disparate, difficult to find videos. At this time, everything if it was hosted at all, as opposed to passed out on some sort of disc format (and not everyone had burners, even, at this time, they were still expensive), things were shared privately. Most people ran private servers if they could, and they'd continue to do so well into the Org era. I remember discussion with Quu and Phade about what this catalog would look like. And Phade put in the effort, put in the work, and Quu was right there along the way. I tried to be involved as much as I could, but I was still a high school student, I did not have resources of my own, and I didn't have the time to do much more than have the conversations on IRC.

After most of the test accounts were created on the Org, I joined. I would have joined a bit sooner, closer to December, but I had come to realise that I would be graduating early, quite unplanned, and so I was not as active in the immediate formal launch of the org as I probably would have liked to have been. However, I have been active, in some capacity in this community, for over eleven years, and a member of the AMV community for almost half of my entire life. And this is, in large part, because of the conversations I had with Quu about the potential of AMVs to express stories about the characters in the shows we loved.

I had continued to talk to Quu regularly. I went to AWA to hang out with certain people. Quu was one of those people. Along with Jingoro, he was one of the major American Kimagure Orange Road fans, and produced one of the best character profiles of Ayukawa Madoka, his Life in Madoka. In addition, like me, he was also a major Utena fan, and his Particle Dance and pioneering of the method of cracking open the Sega Saturn game was instrumental to my own early Utena videos. We never lost touch. As I became the Asst Dir of Media for AWA, I looked to him for guidance, and most recently I had enjoyed working with him on Mac related issues. I always enjoyed lobbying for the inclusion of a Mac support in his amazing attempts to create a system which would work for AMV conventions (or any such organising and playing needs), and he was very gracious to agree I had a point. He had been very active on IRC so recently, that it reminded me of how we first met, and I was so happy, with us being as far apart as we were, especially the times when I was in Japan, that we could continue the relationship in the same manner as that relationship started.

I am entirely convinced that all I have done in this hobby, and all that has come from being in this hobby, was predicated on Quu's decision to say, "Hey, Kio, do you know what anime music videos are? You should make some!" in that fanfiction IRC channel so many years ago.

I am taking this loss hard, and I am going to be calling Debra to reiterate this, and some of our good times to her over the phone. I'm also trying to find pictures I have of Patrick, and I will by trying to post them when I do.

This hurts.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

WalterScott
Org Profile

Post by WalterScott » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:04 pm

I haven't posted here in a long time, since I started a PhD program five years ago and had to put AMV making on hold. What a terrible loss. My heart goes out to Patrick's family and the friends who knew him best. Even though I only knew him a little it was a privilege. Patrick was one of the most passionate and dedicated people I've ever known. One of the main reasons I stayed in the hobby was due in part to his support and encouragement.

When I submitted one of my first AMVs to the AWA Pro contest back in, God when was that, 2002? I was just starting out, didn't know anyone, had no confidence, etc. etc. My submission that year (the future boy conan video) caused him all kinds of grief I remember, there was some problem and I think I had to rush him a backup copy right before the screening, and then it had interlace issues. He was pretty damn gracious about it under the circumstances. I think it was basically thanks to him, and to Bill Milberry, that I didn't just give up entirely and kept trying, and got to be part of this wonderful community of creators for a few years.

I always loved spending time with him when I was down in Atlanta, especially after the con was over and he could relax a bit. I remember all the exhilarating tech conversations we would have, especially in the beginning as we started out in the VHS era and he could see what was going to be possible in the digital era and kept moving things forward.

I still can't believe he's gone.

"Who lived here
He must have been a gardener that cared a lot
Who weeded out the tears and grew a good crop
And we are so amazed we're crippled and we're dazed
A gardener like that one no one can replace"

walter scott / graven image
- = ( ( g r a v e n i m a g e ) ) = -

macchinainterna
Org Profile

Post by macchinainterna » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:14 pm

Damn...

My condolences to his family. :(

madmallard
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:28 pm

WalterScott wrote:When I submitted one of my first AMVs to the AWA Pro contest back in, God when was that, 2002? I was just starting out, didn't know anyone, had no confidence, etc. etc. My submission that year (the future boy conan video) caused him all kinds of grief I remember, there was some problem and I think I had to rush him a backup copy right before the screening, and then it had interlace issues. He was pretty damn gracious about it under the circumstances. I think it was basically thanks to him, and to Bill Milberry, that I didn't just give up entirely and kept trying, and got to be part of this wonderful community of creators for a few years.
As an aside, ALL of us were profoundly affected by your AMV work when we saw it the first time. We hadn't seen an AMV up until that time attempt the tone you set with it and that pairing became a benchmark in our minds at the time for dramatic, and minimalism for reaching into the viewers feelings. we sincerely thank you for submitting.

And while I KNOW he worked so hard to get a good rendition of it to screen because he really loved your video, I also know he worked equally hard on any video wether he was personally enamored with it or not.
"Who lived here
He must have been a gardener that cared a lot
Who weeded out the tears and grew a good crop
And we are so amazed we're crippled and we're dazed
A gardener like that one no one can replace"
and he loved EJ too. I think this is a highly appropriate lyric, except that instead of there being no gardener left, he has left many gardeners & we are all in part crops he has sown.
Main Events Director Anime Weekend Atlanta, Kawaii-kon

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:56 pm

xnamkcor wrote:I have no idea who Quu is, but he will be missed. Best of luck for his Wife and Daughter.
In this thread you're going to see a lot of different posters pop up that you probably haven't seen or heard of before and who have not been active here for years. That alone speaks volumes of how Patrick brought a lot of us together whether at cons or through a helping hand over the years.
madmallard wrote: Here's some information, so you have a bit more of an idea just on the AMV front how his life affected us.
Eloquent post that gives perspective on the important influence Patrick had on the AMV community and especially AMVs at cons. I'm going to write something from my own experiences.

My involvement with the AMV online scene and cons began in 1999. I think I first met Patrick in person at ACen 2002. I say think because a lot of the ACens blur together in my memory. Patrick was a mainstay online for tech help so I had written or IMd him several times over the years. When I met him in person my first impression was of how charismatic and comfortable he was with us strangers. He really put me at ease and I had several very memorable discussions with him. I learned a hell of a lot from talking shop with him. In 2003 he tapped me to become ACen's defending champ for the first Iron Chef event at the con. I was very proud of that he asked me. Patrick tapped Dwchang for my competition who was at this time becoming recognized as an excellent editor. Patrick had a great eye for spotting talent like DWchang's and I think he first picked up on this during the screening of videos in ACen 2002. So 2003 was at a time when a lot of editors began doing a lot more to distribute their works online and there were quite a few editors who hit multiple cons. I didn't usually post the database entry on my own vids on this site until years after they premiered and I never bothered to engage in much distribution of my own stuff so I viewed myself as somewhat of a black sheep. At any rate Patrick knew I had won several times and even though the wins were only at ACen he was confident that I would show up and get the job done. When the fateful competition came around I did lose but I think I covered my end. What struck me as amusing was how all my friends thought I was pretty calm even though several people noticed I barely had anything on the timeline with like 30 minutes to go because I set everything up in storyboard first and then put it into the timeline. Later Patrick posted some notes on LJ I think and he mentioned how calm I was. That is right up until we got near the end and then he commented something like "OK good now he finally looks nervous!" That brought a smile to my face when I read his comments on the event. He saw right through me there.

What people consider the standards to try and offer in an AMV contest and programming have a lot of stuff that Patrick helped pioneer for the community. Online entry form submission, upload submission, Iron Chef the precursor to Iron Editor, digital conversion and archive of contest entries. Patrick was ahead of the curve and helped move things forward for AMVs at cons. When everyone was still doing tape submission Patrick had a setup to capture analog to digital and store that for playback. This offered a huge increase in quality at the con because you did not suffer the generation loss when copying stuff between two VCRs. A lot of this work and equipment that Patrick pumped into the AMV community came from his own wallet and time. He frequently loaned equipment to other cons and during a probably 3 year run he was running tech for AMV contests at a large number of cons. That is how I came to meet him at ACen. This was all before I got involved with staffing the AMV contest and programming at ACen. Patrick's tech work was a huge influence on me personally to try and raise the bar of display quality at ACen and to have better prescreening.

Obviously it's been noted about a lot of the programming stuff he did for the AMV community but I also want to mention if any of you were playing WoW and raiding in the early days of that mmo there was a popular mod called decursive that broke on the scene and made things a lot easier for players who had to cleanse raid members. It was made by Patrick and was available to anyone to download. It was something he made to help himself and his guild and I doubt he ever thought it would become as popular as it did but it quickly became a go to mod for raiders and pvp players in that era. In competitive games like that some people would keep things like that private but that wasn't Patrick. It was the same with AMV software. Stuff he worked on for AWA was openly made available and shared with the community. A lot of the contests that jumped in improvement during the early 2000s have Patrick to thank. In fact I often wonder if the contests would be as open today if it wasn't for some of that early groundwork Patrick made.

I don't think I can write anymore right now. I send my thoughts and prayers for his family and friends.

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:07 pm

I have many stories about Patrick, but the one that's standing out the most right now is how we first met in person. I've known quu since 2000, but we didn't meet in person until 2002. It was a year before I started working on staff at Anime Central. I was just a regular contestant then. The con had at con submissions still and I had wanted to re-submit a better quality version of an AMV I had submitted. First Quu had a look of horror on his face and nervously asked me what codec I had used. At the time, he was converting everything to DV for the playback system and knowing this that was the format I encoded the video into. When I told him this, he then stood up and gave me a giant rib crushing bear hug and told me that he loved me for making his work easier. I was kind of shocked and then he informed me that he had already been up for 24 hours. I'll never forget that moment for as long as I live. I will miss you Patrick and I can't help but feel the world was robbed of a very special and selfless person.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

Return to “General Discussion”