Something I found interesting...

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Something I found interesting...

Post by Pwolf » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:48 am

I work for a local government but I actually found the overall idea that's being discussed rather similar to what I've been advocating around the org for the past year or so.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jennifer_pahlk ... nment.html

gotegenks
Org Profile

Re: Something I found interesting...

Post by gotegenks » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:17 am

that is interesting, but what exactly have you been advocating? Just people helping each other out instead of...mods...???

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:41 am

gote wrote:that is interesting, but what exactly have you been advocating? Just people helping each other out instead of...mods...???
Not just being a voice and complaining about things, helping the community be better through coming up with ways for us to interact, collaborate, and discuss (see online iron chef, lip flapper, amv reviews, cdvv audio tapes...).

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:25 am

That sort of a "put up or shut up" attitude. Which has some drawbacks even if the intent is noble enough. Most of the time, the person saying it really just wants you to do the "shut up" part - if that's not the case, the chaos of a bunch of inept people trying to "put up" can clog the works and make things more chaotic, which can hurt the overall perception of any project and turn talented people away.

Encouraging talented people to help out is more beneficial than encouraging everyone to, unless you're advocating they contribute by more indirect means (like testing, or even just funding).

It's the same sort of balance that needs to be struck in any volunteer effort. You need some form of capable management directing the projects that you're working on, or groups fill up with leaderless and aimless members that get nothing done, or tons of infighting from multiple people trying to steer the ship.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:02 pm

I agree completely. Even the idea of getting everyone to "put up" would probably over saturate everything, maybe making things worse. However, in a situation where the management isn't doing anything to encourage people to help out, advocating the general populous to "put up" is better than nothing. And it's not so much getting people to contribute content or talents, getting people to discuss things is big help also. Using the org as an example, people have and still do complain about the amount of traffic the site sees compared to the past. Create discussion that makes people want to visit the forum more often. If you're not a programmer or graphic designer, i'm sure you like to talk about something... so talk about it.

Return to “General Discussion”