KONY2012

This forum is for members to discuss topics that do not relate to anime music videos.

KONY2012

Postby siny » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:56 pm

I don't believe that ignoring this is an option as human beings, so I'm spreading this everywhere I can: twitter, facebook, youtube, tumblr and here!
If everyone does the same, the world can win this fight and these children can finally have a future.

Youtube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc
Please stop what you're doing and watch it! It's important!

On twitter, don't forget to use the hash tag #KONY2012 and follow the Invisible Children on facebook too for updates!

https://www.facebook.com/invisiblechildren
https://twitter.com/#!/Invisible

Since the website was overloaded by everyone trying to help, here are the links you should know about:
To buy action kit/bracelets: http://invisiblechildrenstore.myshopify.com/
To make a donation: http://bit.ly/yp5Ffv
To sign the pledge: http://www.causes.com/causes/227-invisible-children
To watch the film: http://vimeo.com/37119711
siny

Re: KONY2012

Postby Chained(E)Studio » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:03 am

I'm with this :up:
Chained(E)Studio

Postby Jadecavy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:45 am

Jadecavy

Postby Chained(E)Studio » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:33 am

Ahh, well then ..
Chained(E)Studio

Postby Brad » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:41 am

I'm not sure what the point of the article is. The video clearly states that the LRA have moved out of Uganda and that things are better now. That doesn't mean he's been taken down or defeated. It seemed obvious to me purely from the video that he was no longer at the height of his power. Similar to how by the time we caught Osama Bin Laden he was also no longer at the height of his power. That doesn't mean it wasn't worth finding him. It also doesn't mean that capturing/killing Kony would make all problems over there disappear (much the same way that capturing/killing Bin Laden wouldn't/didn't stop Al-Qaeda). Nevertheless, I think that shedding light on the issue in this way is an overall very positive endeavor. Are there problems with the overall message and delivery? Yeah, probably. But that shouldn't discredit the idea or movement all-together.

Plus, every time we would reference the video by saying it's just "slick MTV-esque editing" makes him lose credibility in my eyes. He's making it a subjective argument by saying "All these young kids are being fooled into caring about this because some guy is making a video that speaks to their generation" (paraphrasing, obviously).
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site
Brad

Postby gotegenks » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:31 am

all politics and good deeds aside, that video is really cool.
gotegenks

Postby Otohiko » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:14 pm

Brad wrote:

I'm not sure what the point of the article is. The video clearly states that the LRA have moved out of Uganda and that things are better now. That doesn't mean he's been taken down or defeated. It seemed obvious to me purely from the video that he was no longer at the height of his power. Similar to how by the time we caught Osama Bin Laden he was also no longer at the height of his power. That doesn't mean it wasn't worth finding him. It also doesn't mean that capturing/killing Kony would make all problems over there disappear (much the same way that capturing/killing Bin Laden wouldn't/didn't stop Al-Qaeda). Nevertheless, I think that shedding light on the issue in this way is an overall very positive endeavor. Are there problems with the overall message and delivery? Yeah, probably. But that shouldn't discredit the idea or movement all-together.

Plus, every time we would reference the video by saying it's just "slick MTV-esque editing" makes him lose credibility in my eyes. He's making it a subjective argument by saying "All these young kids are being fooled into caring about this because some guy is making a video that speaks to their generation" (paraphrasing, obviously).

Here's a somewhat more neutral one perhaps.

Perhaps the most relevant issue is here (links omitted):
The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money supports the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission. These books each refer to the rape and sexual assault that are perennial issues with the UPDF, the military group Invisible Children is defending.
Otohiko

Postby Brad » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:41 pm

Otohiko wrote:The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money supports the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission. These books each refer to the rape and sexual assault that are perennial issues with the UPDF, the military group Invisible Children is defending.

See now that's an article I can get behind. Felt more balanced and thought-out. Though there are still certain things I take issue with. Primarily the idea that military intervention is a bad idea due to the threat of retaliation. When you're dealing with a terrorist, there's always going to be that risk. But does that mean that it should just be let go? I certainly don't have the answer and perhaps the KONY2012 people don't either. But getting people talking about it and thinking about it can lead to those answers (from people much smarter than myself, or the organization). I do agree that if the organization is fully aware that the Ugandan military is raping and looting, then they should cut ties and look for help elsewhere.

What the article brought up at the very end is probably the most poignant and agreeable thing I've seen amongst the criticisms. "Let’s keep it about Joseph Kony, not KONY 2012." The main thing they're going for is awareness of the man and the problem. So, let it be about that, and not the organization.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site
Brad

Postby siny » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:28 pm

I think it's important to do our homework and research. But you wouldn't be doing that without knowing Joseph Kony. I understand that IC takes donations and I read loads of articles and opinions about it, but the fact that this organization is letting people know about this man and what he does it's really amazing. And to be honest, the only think I've seen people doing is asking to watch the video and sign the pledge. Everyone can spread the word, that's what we need to keep the US army over there trying to find Kony. The donations and the kits, well... I would probably search for a non profit organization that would help build schools, hospitals, etc over there. That's what they need to rebuild their lives.
As a designer I think that what IC is doing is something extraordinary and it's simple as marketing. They're spreading the word the way you would promote a brand. And when George Clooney says that he wishes for these villains to be as known as him, he's so right. And that's one of the points about this movement. The other one, probably the most important, is to make people aware that we are capable of changing the world if we want to. By giving the people the chance to make them realize what they can do together, specially inside the social media... is what war lords, politicians, etc fear the most. They're as vulnerable as us when we get together and speak up.
Third, the amount of people wanting to help out and spreading this, gives me hope about the humanity. And I don't know if you guys are familiar with the many, many theories about the so known called "end of the world" at the end of 2012... Some of them say that this will be the year that the humanity as we know will cease to exist, not because we're all gonna die, but because the way people think and act will change to something bigger and far more greater. Not just about war, politics and money, but also about the way we treat our world. This thing about KONY2012 is a sort of manifest (at least for me), a peaceful one. And it's not the only one happening. This generation is showing that we can indeed change and we don't need wars for that. Just... gives me hope :)
siny

Postby Fire_Starter » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:41 pm

Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010
Fire_Starter

Postby Taite » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:20 pm

God, I'm ashamed to be an American. Every single person I know is saying how they're going to get involved in this, and all they did was watch a 30 minute "documentary." I wish people would do more research before blindly donating money to an organization who only uses 31% of that money to actually help their cause. Seriously.

And to think, these guys weren't even aware Africa's second longest civil war was being fought when they stumbled into it. Imagine their good fortune.

Don't get me wrong, the LRA is bad and shit, but this video is doing nothing but feeding the ignorant, pompous people all over the world, especially impressionable teenagers.
But whatever. Whatever makes you "feel good," fine.
Image Image
Taite

Postby Glitzer » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:59 am

Fire_Starter wrote:I'll just leave this here.

From that article:

My god. Hipsters with guns. That's absolutely terrifying.
Image ImageImage
Glitzer

Postby Otohiko » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:08 am

On the other hand...
http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.invisiblech ... iques.html

A reasonable response from them.
Otohiko

Postby AaronAMV » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:24 pm

Taite wrote:God, I'm ashamed to be an American.

AaronAMV
eating that e. coli spinach

Postby Enigma » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:43 pm

Great propaganda great experience.
Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid

Next

Return to General Discussion