The Vent Thread

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: The Vent Thread

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:22 am

Entire weekend was filled with minor shitty things that really added up to a general sentiment of "i shouldn't have bothered leaving the house." I've also been incredibly tired after coming out of general anesthesia on Friday. Been sleeping a lot, but still feel exhausted when I wake up and ready for bed after being awake for 10-12 hours.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Kimberly
Org Profile

Post by Kimberly » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:41 pm

Perhaps I am just a burden to everyone.

i'm sorry for these stupid vents.
ImageImage

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:56 pm

Kimberly wrote:Perhaps I am just a burden to everyone.

i'm sorry for these stupid vents.
Hey, that's the entire point of this thread. Peeps can vent however they want.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:37 pm

Another night without sleep, worked up about work (while getting remarkably little of it actually done). Instead of blasting through student assignments by copy-pasting blurbs and throwing out empty grades, I average about 400-500 words of comments per assignment. And I have 90 students, and am way behind. When I'm done with that, in the early morning, attempting to sleep only gets me worked up about non-work and various stuff that's been bugging my mind over the last few weeks. To wind myself down, I watch my all-time favourite film, Tarkovsky's "Stalker", all 3 hours of it. It calms me, but also reminds me of several of the big problems I keep coming back to. I've had too many a situation and too many a conversation lately where I felt like the titular character (who, contrary to his name, has nothing to do with stalking anyone) struggling to explain himself and his motivations to those around him, and always being misread. It's not depressing at all, but it's one of those, "if only I could actually explain this to others... if only people would listen..." things. In my personal and professional life, I'm full of ideas/ideals and things to share. But I keep running into communication problems. Ironic, since I'm supposed to be a communication teacher - or maybe not ironic at all, because that makes me hyper-aware of all these problems and gets me worked up in a way it wouldn't get to most people.

Getting up to go to work after this sleepless night, I put on my pants and then promptly pass out on my bed, waking up after my class was supposed to start. Thanks to the awesome students and colleagues I have, the day was saved and when I rushed to school almost an hour late, I found my students in possession of all the handouts, working neatly in groups. This was great, but now my mind is still kind of shot. I could barely articulate myself while ordering food, so trying to give intelligent feedback on student papers is kind of off the books until I get more rest.

Sure hope the next couple of days go a little better for me. I can't keep doing this lack of sleep thing to myself, whatever the reasons for it D:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:34 pm

Ugh, so a local radio station said something about a concert with Mother Mother and AWOLNATION and to get details from their Facebook page. I didn't hear anything else but that, but both bands are awesome and I'd love to see them live. So when I get home, I look it up: nothing about it on the station's page, and Mother Mother doesn't list any tour dates in Illinois at all!

What. The. Butt.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:12 pm

When I was promoted, I became the help desk lead and was tasked with finding an intern to help out. That didn't work out. We had people who were way over qualified, people who had zero experience or education, and people who just didn't show up for the interview...

After a month and a half of searching, we decided to step it up and hire a part-time technician (which pays double the intern rate but requires higher skill obviously). Oddly enough, same situation. I've had no-shows and people who can't be bother to pick up there phone or call back. Uhg. It's been a good learning experience but a real pain in the ass I wish I didn't have to think about anymore.

With that going on, there's been a bunch of changes going on in my department. I was hired on full time because one of my coworker's left. Last week, another one left to another city and at the end of the month we will be losing another talented member of the team. These are all due to benefit cuts I don't care to go into at the moment. With the cuts, we have been moving responsibilities around. I'm taking on half of the application support role. I've been wanting to learn some of the stuff for years so I can better assist my users but I never got any training. Now I have to learn to support a system in two weeks time. It's rather overwhelming to be honest. A lot of stuff, especially regarding access rights, are experience based things I can't "learn" in two weeks. I can give you the rights to make changes to some GIS asset but should I? Will that cause problems in the future? Is there a better way to do it? These are things my coworker has learned and figured out all these years. I can't be taught that in two weeks. It sucks.

I know it's not like my job is in jeopardy if I fuck something up. My boss is taking on the other half of the app support and he has no idea what he's doing either. I wish I had started to learn this stuff 4 years ago instead of getting my feet wet just now. It's more about being able to provide the best support I can to my users. I hate telling them "I don't know".

I also have an Iron Editor in a week and a half and have no idea what the hell i'm going to do for it. This is all your fault Ryan.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:10 am

Pwolf wrote:This is all your fault Ryan.
:?
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:23 pm

Uhg >.<

I booked a flight to Chicago for mid April around seeing a Cubs game and my favorite band. I would've have loved to book it earlier when the Cubs are playing the Giants but I'm supposed to be in VMWare training that week, so no go...

Just found out my training was canceled :| uuuuuhg. Wish they canceled it last week BEFORE I BOOKED MY FLIGHT >.<

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:45 am

So after about half a year of continuously being promised that I would be moving up from our help desk department to an engineering role (which I am much more qualified for and much happier doing rather then letting my knowledge and skills stagnate doing basic end user support) I finally was promoted back in January and completed my transition last month. I'm not a Microsoft Engineer for our largest client. I'm still learning the ropes as it were, but I'm being more mentally stimulated and honestly I'm a much happier person then I have been these last few months.

What's the vent you say?

Well, I found out last week that my new manager that I have been getting to know is stepping down from his position for various reasons. This manager is known company wide as being the best manager we have and honestly I'm sad to see him go. We all are. Moral is really low on our team right now with much talks about jumping ship. Considering I've been known as the people to keep moral up previously, it's really making things rather sad for me seeing everyone's moral so low. But for me the really annoying part in all of this is that my manager has been working on securing a proper raise for me. Basically, we have had a hiring freeze put in place as there have been executive changes going on, and part of that was a freeze in the budgets. So when I changed departments and job titles, pay was never put on the table as a topic of discussion. My manager has been attempting to work that out these past few months but with little to no movement on the upper management side of things. Needless to say, this leaves me feeling less then appreciated for the job that I do. And with my manager stepping down, what get's lost in the shuffle? Money has been really tight for me lately and bills keep piling up, so I've been getting more and more aggressive with the conversation of my compensation, considering I had made the agreement to switch jobs with the promise of better pay on the table (but apparently no actual date for when that would happen or the amount, thanks guys.) This has all let to me learning a great deal about the inner workings of my company and that we generally pay below industry standard across the board. The benefits are great, but my medical insurance doesn't pay the bills...

With my manager leaving we're getting a new manager and there is going to be some restructuring in our department. From what I've been able to gather I'm not switching positions, but who knows. I've started conversations with my new manager already on the pay issue and he has assured me that he is going to be discussing this with upper management. Through this transition we've actually gotten some things approved that have been previously denied such as getting a lab environment, technet subscriptions, and training materials. So we'll see if the pay thing is going to go through as well. My hopes aren't exactly up, but I'm keeping a positive outlook on it.

Either way I've updated my resume and am looking for a new job just in case.
ImageImageImageImage

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:43 pm

I posted in the Happy Thread that I'm going to be moving into a new house due to my lender and investor's incompetence and will get a lot of money out of it.

The worst part is now thinking about how I'm going to move everything and also feeling emotional that I'll be leaving my first house after not even owning it for a year. My parents owned it for nearly 7 years when we all moved down by the beach, so I can't help but feel a bit sad knowing how many good times and things I filmed here.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Return to “General Discussion”