The Vent Thread

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Re: The Vent Thread

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:49 am

Tree sap fell on my car and windshield at work last week. Tried to use WD40 and Goo gone, but none worked.

Then I realized I can use hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol, but I have to wait till lunchtime to get them.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

slimed
Org Profile

Post by slimed » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:04 pm

Spoiler :
my frustration from school has been building lately and it's really taking a toll on me in every way. my "free time" is what i use to sleep and eat at this point. the worst part is that i'm just taking the standard 12 credits. these design classes are so tedious and exhausting. i just cried over cutting a piece of board 1cm off both horizontally and vertically for a project that i've been doing and revising since the first day of the semester.. as the professor said if it's even slightly off that it's an auto-F. i've had him before and he wasn't that harsh so i hope he's exaggerating

anyway, i'm not content with what i'm doing at all. i went to one school for two years as undecided and solely took gen eds, i transferred to my current school and this is my second semester here as a graphic design major. in the transfer i did lose about a semester and a half of credits. i don't even know why i chose graphic design. i basically really enjoy film/motion design and on a whim i figured graphic design would be more broad and suitable as far as a future career goes, as what i'm growing to love as a hobby seemed unrealistic. while i did fine last semester, i'm not sure how this semester will go. i'm not even sure if it is a possible thing to graduate with a major that you're relatively interested in but don't love or could see yourself doing as a career

now today among searching i found a school that seems so ideal in every way. i would love to transfer. however i would have lost so much time and money in doing so. and who knows, maybe even that school won't turn out well for me despite the interest. i know this is entirely my fault for thinking i could be good at something i'm just sort of interested in in the first place. but now i don't know what to do or where to go from here. i guess i'm going to try hardest to get through this program and potentially attend the film/video school afterwards, however many years from now. with this i have doubts, like what if this major gets even more unbearable further into the courses and i find myself incapable of continuing? i would have lost even more time and money than i would by transferring now - in addition my future will be even more fucked than it is already guaranteed to be.. at a loss for what option would be the most productive or make the most sense. guess i'll wait to see how my grades for this semester turn out
:?

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:13 pm

slimed wrote:
Spoiler :
my frustration from school has been building lately and it's really taking a toll on me in every way. my "free time" is what i use to sleep and eat at this point. the worst part is that i'm just taking the standard 12 credits. these design classes are so tedious and exhausting. i just cried over cutting a piece of board 1cm off both horizontally and vertically for a project that i've been doing and revising since the first day of the semester.. as the professor said if it's even slightly off that it's an auto-F. i've had him before and he wasn't that harsh so i hope he's exaggerating

anyway, i'm not content with what i'm doing at all. i went to one school for two years as undecided and solely took gen eds, i transferred to my current school and this is my second semester here as a graphic design major. in the transfer i did lose about a semester and a half of credits. i don't even know why i chose graphic design. i basically really enjoy film/motion design and on a whim i figured graphic design would be more broad and suitable as far as a future career goes, as what i'm growing to love as a hobby seemed unrealistic. while i did fine last semester, i'm not sure how this semester will go. i'm not even sure if it is a possible thing to graduate with a major that you're relatively interested in but don't love or could see yourself doing as a career

now today among searching i found a school that seems so ideal in every way. i would love to transfer. however i would have lost so much time and money in doing so. and who knows, maybe even that school won't turn out well for me despite the interest. i know this is entirely my fault for thinking i could be good at something i'm just sort of interested in in the first place. but now i don't know what to do or where to go from here. i guess i'm going to try hardest to get through this program and potentially attend the film/video school afterwards, however many years from now. with this i have doubts, like what if this major gets even more unbearable further into the courses and i find myself incapable of continuing? i would have lost even more time and money than i would by transferring now - in addition my future will be even more fucked than it is already guaranteed to be.. at a loss for what option would be the most productive or make the most sense. guess i'll wait to see how my grades for this semester turn out
:?
Spoiler :
You're going to have to figure out what works for you. Usually, we decide on our majors based on interest because that's what we believe to be what interests us, but that's variable and we shouldn't be expected to base our lives on what people think we will grow up to become. Not everyone thinks like that and have variable amounts of interests and those interests can change at any point in our lives. It comes down to the fact that we are not perfect people and the fact that people expect us to be perfect is, more or less, pathetic, if not, fucked up. In all honesty, you are who you are. If regretting the fact that you spent money on what you believe to be your main interest and turns out that the work is much harder than expected, then I would try to find someone in the field you wish to work for and see what they do on a day by day basis. If you're just letting out steam because you're currently feeling overwhelmed with the amount of work and responsibility that you are given, then I may suggest finding a way to get out of your current routine for a few days and coming back into it. Either way, just remember that your time in this universe is limited, make sure that you not only find a passion for what you want to try in life, but also find other things in life to try out.

This may, more or less, be a way for you to generate an income for your living while you find things that you want to do, so you may wish to perceive it less as a hobby now and more as a job to do to find your many different interests.

I don't know your situation personally, but I don't really wish to be an electrical engineer who works with lights all day. However, I love the fact that it may get me a stable income, that I found a great group of friends that I can be myself with and share the same interests as me and that I can help people with the job I'm doing. This isn't the most perfect job for me but I think the fact that I don't perceive as a hobby and more as a personal job venture or -Stepping Stone- has helped me out tremendously in dealing with the amount of schooling I have had to go through. Why?? Because I already expect the work to be a pain in the ass, but I learn to suck it up and do it because this is my stepping stone from point A to point B. In the meanwhile, I learn great things about our perceptions and advancements within our world.

So, just keep doing your best man and, if a change in perception helps, then just change your perception. Even if it is just a little bit. :book:

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:58 pm

I think lloyd said it pretty well. To interject some of my own experiences, I studied Network Engineering in college but, while I work in IT, I don't touch networks. I haven't in 10+ years. However, there are a lot of things I've learned, while getting the degree, that I apply daily. The takeaway is, while aspects of graphic design might be challenging and you might be second guessing your decision, there's a lot of things you'll learn and enjoy doing that can be applied to other fields, like motion design and film. If you stick with this program and apply to film school in the future, you're already a step ahead of a lot of other people who might be applying as well.

As a last note, your future is what you make of it. Sounds cliche but it's kind of true. If going to school for a couple more years and spending a bit more money is all it takes to be in an industry you enjoy, roll with it and see where it takes you.

slimed
Org Profile

Post by slimed » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:03 pm

thank you guys for the input, helped clear up my mind some. while i'm still frustrated with the workload i think i've figured things out as far as long term goes. i'll remain where i am and take it a day at a time for now. then maybe attend the film school at some point down the line if i'm still as interested as i am right now.

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:11 am

tired of being treated like a kid. Shit's getting old.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:51 pm

Really wish I'd heal up faster. This constant being in pain thing is getting old.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:03 pm

Got a cold and I sound like a chain smoker. This shit is getting old.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Kimberly
Org Profile

Post by Kimberly » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:52 pm

Nothing will ever change, ahaha.
ImageImage

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:23 am