The Vent Thread

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Miaka999
Org Profile

Re: The Vent Thread

Post by Miaka999 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:22 pm

god and i thought i was the only one that despised university bureaucracy. This year I graduated in May with a triple major in anthropology, psychology, and art. Was sick to death from taking 6 classes every semester. I was up from 6 am to 9 pm. It took me about 5 years to get a triple major done, but made it, thinking it wasn't possible. I cannot imagine taking 6-7 year phd...have to finish my masters though....man someone just give me a break and teleport me somewhere off into space (island more like it)

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:39 pm

Miaka999 wrote:god and i thought i was the only one that despised university bureaucracy. This year I graduated in May with a triple major in anthropology, psychology, and art. Was sick to death from taking 6 classes every semester. I was up from 6 am to 9 pm. It took me about 5 years to get a triple major done, but made it, thinking it wasn't possible. I cannot imagine taking 6-7 year phd...have to finish my masters though....man someone just give me a break and teleport me somewhere off into space (island more like it)
feels ;__; I know how that goes.

Do that Masters. Anyone can do a masters, and if you're thinking that somewhere, sometime maybe you'll want a masters - just do it now. You'll be better for it, and while taking a year off in between might not be a bad idea, don't put it off for long. You can get that out of the way quickly, and it's honestly a very good thing to get. It's not easy, but it's something that, if you're surviving 6 classes now and doing well, you'll adjust to pretty quickly.
For that PhD though, think long and hard before you commit to it, though. It's a big commitment and something that you don't want to go in before you know what you're getting into. Don't make the same mistake as me and jump into it because you feel like you have no other options. That's my honest advice!
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Miaka999
Org Profile

Post by Miaka999 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:51 pm

for a long time i have been waiting for some honest advice and my adviser's have always put me down always in a demeaning way. Really no joke, this is great advice and a wake up call somehow for me because I have been really down in the dumps due to unemployment sadness. Definitely gonna go for it :) time to take out my GRE book oh god....

Spasibo Otohiko

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:45 pm

Bleh, shattered one of my toenails today in a bizarre accident while taking off a shoe. I give up, my accident-proneness is seriously off the charts. I hope nothing gets infected.

At least wine still works as a pretty good analgesic for me .__.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Miaka999
Org Profile

Post by Miaka999 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:00 pm

owwwww... hope it gets better. I heard that vodka helps too but just wash it and keep it clean. Saw accidents happen like that on more than one occasion.

the worst part of waking up is not having Folgers in your cup

Kimberly
Org Profile

Post by Kimberly » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:44 pm

I am so angry that I'm literally trying to breathe normally, and I'm trying too fucking hard to refrain myself from doing something stupid. I can't calm down and I'm crying just trying to. I'm just so goddamn pissed off, at myself too, for trusting that this person wouldn't do something, even though they've done it over and over again. They can't even keep their word that they wouldn't, but it's not as if I believed it when they said it anyway :/
ImageImage

Kimberly
Org Profile

Post by Kimberly » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:04 am

Kimberly wrote:I am so angry that I'm literally trying to breathe normally, and I'm trying too fucking hard to refrain myself from doing something stupid. I can't calm down and I'm crying just trying to. I'm just so goddamn pissed off, at myself too, for trusting that this person wouldn't do something, even though they've done it over and over again. They can't even keep their word that they wouldn't, but it's not as if I believed it when they said it anyway :/
Welp, same crap happens again. Same shit every single time. It's like, don't tell me you're going to do something and get offended when I say that you will, and then end up doing it anyway. I'm just so tired of it. I'm tired of that person being defended, as if what they're doing isn't wrong, as if I should understand, as if it's not a big deal. My feelings, my situation, none of it is being considered. Not one bit. What do I have to do to have someone at least try to understand how I feel? At this point, I'm about ready to give up. I hate this place so much. I hate being here.
ImageImage

dj_ultima_the_great
Org Profile

Post by dj_ultima_the_great » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:33 am

Ugh, really annoyed at shoe shopping. I have a problem where my feet are constantly swollen, both in terms of width and thickness. It's the latter part that is causing me migraines. It's been four years since I got this way, and I haven't been able to wear a dress shoe since that time. I finally found out that my problem can be solved with "extra depth" shoes - typically used by diabetics and sometimes pregnant women - but they literally do not make cute versions of these, and even the barely passable ones are nearly fifty dollars at the cheapest. Most of them are one hundred or more.

I'm fretting over this because for the first time since I was maybe ten years old, I'm going to have a casual dress. Not something for special occasions, not something that looks like a prom gown, but just a regular, adorable dress that I can wear with tights and Mary Janes and pigtails and so help me Lucifer I will look absolutely precious if it kills me.

Assuming I can EVER find shoes that actually fit me, that is. :roll:

AngelDragoon
Org Profile

Post by AngelDragoon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:53 am

dj_ultima_the_great wrote:Ugh, really annoyed at shoe shopping. I have a problem where my feet are constantly swollen, both in terms of width and thickness. It's the latter part that is causing me migraines. It's been four years since I got this way, and I haven't been able to wear a dress shoe since that time. I finally found out that my problem can be solved with "extra depth" shoes - typically used by diabetics and sometimes pregnant women - but they literally do not make cute versions of these, and even the barely passable ones are nearly fifty dollars at the cheapest. Most of them are one hundred or more.

I'm fretting over this because for the first time since I was maybe ten years old, I'm going to have a casual dress. Not something for special occasions, not something that looks like a prom gown, but just a regular, adorable dress that I can wear with tights and Mary Janes and pigtails and so help me Lucifer I will look absolutely precious if it kills me.

Assuming I can EVER find shoes that actually fit me, that is. :roll:
If I may offer a shoe suggestion: http://www.alegriashoes.com/

While they are somewhat pricey, I guarantee they're worth every penny. I was diagnosed with pretty bad sciatica recently and I have shin splints from basketball; for a while I could barely walk ten minutes without having some serious pain going on, (mind you, I'm only 24 >_> ). I finally went to my local shoe store and they had these, and I have subsequently bought three pairs of various styles because it's the only thing I can basically wear. XD They do sometimes go on sale, though you might also be able to find a slightly used pair on ebay. The only issue I've had is that the vinyl boots can get hot rather quickly, and the leather ones, (which is basically all of their products), you have to condition with some petroleum jelly or leather conditioner, but other than that I haven't had any issues and they're as good as the day I bought them. <3

dj_ultima_the_great
Org Profile

Post by dj_ultima_the_great » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:35 am

Left for work this morning and found an eviction notice on the apartment door.

Is it bad that I'm getting used to this?

So there goes about six hundred dollars if I want to keep a place to live. In other thoughts...
AngelDragoon wrote:If I may offer a shoe suggestion: http://www.alegriashoes.com/
Thanks! So I gave that site a quick rundown, and I am finding a lot of cute stuff that I like. Kind of out of my price range (the eBay listings were a little more promising, like you said), but if I can get something I won't destroy within a couple of months, that'd be awesome.

My only worry is that I don't really see anyone talking about swollen feet, and specifically the depth of the shoe. I tried buying fairly expensive shoes once that were meant for nurses and claimed to be roomy and stretchy, and even though I bought a size up from my normal, it was like trying to stuff a grapefruit into a wine bottle. Just no freakin' way were my feet fitting into them. It's been a series of discouraging purchases and return shippings since then.

Of course, given the top of this post, I think new shoes just got docked to pretty low priority. Damn it. :down:

Return to “General Discussion”