The Vent Thread

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Re: Vent Thread

Post by Kitsuner » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:02 am

Radical_Yue wrote:Mutemath is playing in Colorado Springs (where I live) on September 15th at a little bar not even 15 minutes away.

Why is this in the vent thread?

Because on that day I will be at NDK in Denver instead.

Which is not a bad thing, but damn it, WHY CAN'T I HAVE BOTH?! ;______;
Step 1: Hijack tour bus.

Step 2: Concert is at NDK

Step 3: Live performance of "Control" while showing Radiance.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Post by Kevmaster » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:50 am

I payed 13€ for Morning-Express-shipping for a parcel and even though there were 3 people at home, I didn't receive the package and there wasn't even a notice in the letterbox. (Had to check shipment tracking)

It's so f*cking irritating Image I'm almost sure that a**hole didn't even try to deliver.

imp
Org Profile

Post by imp » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:48 am

more of a cross post between Little Things you Hate and actually Vent Thread...

I don't like this community, after a year I still don't feel like I'm a part of it (a year is like eternity in internet time, right?)
Maybe I'm not active enough, but then again, it's not like there are any comments on my Announcement/Opinion exchange threads where i could respond to.
(actually, still haven't received 2 OPs back from other people's 1:1 threads, after what, a month and 9 days, yeah, guess I can give up waiting)

I joined this site because I didn't receive comments on other sites, and I'll leave this site for the same reason.
Gonna give it maybe 2 more of my AMVs a chance and after that I'm most likely gone.

damn, that felt good, writing it all out.
Finally complete and up-to-date:
http://amv.impdevelopment.eu

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Post by Kevmaster » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:54 am

Impiety wrote:more of a cross post between Little Things you Hate and actually Vent Thread...

I don't like this community, after a year I still don't feel like I'm a part of it (a year is like eternity in internet time, right?)
Maybe I'm not active enough, but then again, it's not like there are any comments on my Announcement/Opinion exchange threads where i could respond to.
(actually, still haven't received 2 OPs back from other people's 1:1 threads, after what, a month and 9 days, yeah, guess I can give up waiting)

I joined this site because I didn't receive comments on other sites, and I'll leave this site for the same reason.
Gonna give it maybe 2 more of my AMVs a chance and after that I'm most likely gone.

damn, that felt good, writing it all out.
This certainly isn't a little thing. The org used to be an amazing place to get feedback, but it just isn't the same anymore. Just look at the 10% list. In the recent 12 months there were only 55 videos that got enough opinions to appear in the list. Just compare it to the other lists.
Feedback is slowly dying and the lack is drying this place out :(

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:08 am

Keep trying? We are relatively large community and some of us don't actively look for videos by people who we don't recognize. I don't really watch videos much anymore. I'll check the announcement thread every now and then and if I see someone I recognize, I might take a gander at it. It's kind of crappy but it's true. You have to make yourself visible. If you want to be part of a community, you need to help contribute to it and the best way to do that is to join discussions. There are plenty of discussion threads in the General AMV and General Discussion forums. If you make yourself visible and known, you are more likely to get the views and comments you desire.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:10 am

Also, there's the IRC chatroom.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:13 am

I'm one of the top posters on this site and I hardly get opinions anymore I'm lucky to get a once a month quick comment -_- of course I'm not as active as I once was, Otohiko has once again surpassed me and is in the number 1 slot now...

I can tell you now from experience, if you ask someone directly to leave you an op, they just might do it. I've always been wary about op exchanges, the first couple I tried I got nothing in return as well... However it's always worth it to look out for those free opinion threads ;)

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:14 am

I used to comment on announcement threads, then I realized that I was bumping their vids to the top as an extra bonus favor which was most likely never returned. I could go back to commenting on announcement forums but I still get that feeling of inequivalence. Afterall some people just come here to post quick links to their videos and dont even watch videos here, prefering a different community from the get go. It has needless to say effected my overall participation here as well to the point of rarely watching videos anymore and when I do, atleast I always try to leave a QC. This way I'm still contributing but I'm not doing any extra favors, especially when some vids that get posted on the announcement forum quickly move down and the list is cluttered with older videos at the top.

Quick comments more than likely contributed to the decline of opinions, but at the same time its true that sometimes you just don't have enough to say about a video to give a clear opinion. I think it would help alot more if the opinion layout was changed so that it doesn't seem so busy. Get rid of some of the ratings... just make one box to type whatever a person wants. I don't even know if changes can even be made to how they work at this point but its something to look into for the supposed org redesign.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

8bit_samurai
Hmm...
Org Profile

Post by 8bit_samurai » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:29 pm

Yeah, as long as I been here, I'm guessing the Org changed as much as it stayed the same. This place (the forums, at least) seemed more about the community than about the AMVs. Or maybe it seems that way to me since I hardly edit anymore. I'm probably echoing a few before me, but socialize. Make a few friends. It easier to give and receive feedback once you know someone.

Unfortunately, some parts of this site seem to have quieted down, but it's not dead yet. I'd recommend trying out for some MEPs, but I don't think that part of the forums is as active anymore. Not as much as when I first joined, at least. Maybe try one of the contests or something when they come around? I thought participating in IC4 and Project OrgEditor was pretty damn awesome even if I didn't get very far. I guess contests nowadays are to socializing as to what MEPs were when I first joined. If that makes sense. And there's IRC.
Under Construction

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:31 pm

EvaFan wrote:...just make one box to type whatever a person wants.
If QCs contributed to the decline, turning the ops into QCs will contribute to their final extinction. If people can't be bothered to type in a few words in a tube-style QC box when they leave their stars, how would giving them another simple liked/disliked box help anything? All that would do is remove any possibility of getting organized feedback and ruin it for those of us who still like to give and receive ops.

This reminds me of MimS' interview comments about the lack of feedback these days. That's someone who has been here long enough to be considered part of the community, but who has given less than ten ops in that entire time. The key difference today is that you're more likely to get an op from a fellow editor than you are from a random fan. Unfortunately, a lot of the current editors admit freely that they don't like watching anime anymore, let alone amvs, so they make lousy 'fans'. If editors can't be bothered to give a few ops themselves, then they shouldn't expect any in return.

My Vent:
The thought of the op system being flushed down the toilet makes me sick. I hope that's not really on the table in the redesign section of the forum. The op system is one of those things we still have over the tube. Sure, tweak the ratings to combine audio&video and sync&effort and review&overall if you just *have* to mess with it, because that's no different from restructuring the forum. As long as all the content is still there, it doesn't hurt to combine it so as not to scare away those who balk at complicated-looking things. But don't simplify it to the point where it's just another useless QC box. Appealing to the lowest common denominator of ADHD afflicted idjits is not useful. A return to the days when crap ops with all 10s and all 1s were the norm is not a move forward. Let them use the QCs for that stuff. If you want to make the org more tube-like, then let people sort vids according to the number of QCs and views. If, on the other hand, you really want the op system to be more useful, then encourage editors to leave ops. They're the ones in the best position to do so, anyway.

Return to “General Discussion”