What's the last thing you bought yourself?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
The_McLaughlin
Org Profile

Re: What's the last thing you bought yourself?

Post by The_McLaughlin » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:46 am

Since my old Navy Reserve lanyard I got back in high school broke last year at NDK and I had to basically tie my badges to what was left of the clip on it I ordered me this guy to replace it:

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:50 pm

Technically, the last thing I bought was a Molex-to-SATA power adapter.

But the reason for that was the second-to-last purchase I'd made: an LG WH14NS40 Blu-ray burning drive (and a 50-pack spindle of BD-Rs, a 50-pack spindle of DVD-Rs, and a 100-pack of CD envelopes).

Getting used to being able to burn stuff at my leisure again is kind of weird, but not as weird as the mental adjustment of 'oh yeah, I don't have to gather data at 4.34GB intervals anymore*' and actually wait until it gets up to ~23GBs.

*except video DVDs, obviously

And, you know, that I have an easy way to use footage from my Blu-ray collection now. Don't have to rely on the crappy laptop BD-ROM drive that I'd have to if I wanted to use that stuff before.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:35 am

A Train Ticket instead of using GreyHound!

Mr. Fuzzyflippers
Lets Positive Thinking
Org Profile

Post by Mr. Fuzzyflippers » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:34 pm

Got a pretty good deal on these

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:42 pm

A week ago or so, my mouse started to really act up. I figured that 12 years of heavy use had finally taken their toll and it was going to get worse from there (on Windows it did, anyway; under Ubuntu it still seemingly worked fine, but it may only be a matter of time). So yesterday, I went over to Office Depot and bought a new one:

My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Dr. Derpface, J.D.
Org Profile

Post by Dr. Derpface, J.D. » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:04 am

Alien: Isolation

Shit's intense, and I'm only on mission 5... :shock:
Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010

splendad
Org Profile

Post by splendad » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:28 am

Qyot27 wrote:A week ago or so, my mouse started to really act up. I figured that 12 years of heavy use had finally taken their toll and it was going to get worse from there (on Windows it did, anyway; under Ubuntu it still seemingly worked fine, but it may only be a matter of time). So yesterday, I went over to Office Depot and bought a new one:

Quoted Image converted to link:
http://i.imgur.com/y7CT9e7.jpg
Wow, I had never thought of doing that, so you're using the joystick as a mouse?

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:10 pm

splendad wrote:
Qyot27 wrote:A week ago or so, my mouse started to really act up. I figured that 12 years of heavy use had finally taken their toll and it was going to get worse from there (on Windows it did, anyway; under Ubuntu it still seemingly worked fine, but it may only be a matter of time). So yesterday, I went over to Office Depot and bought a new one:

Quoted Image converted to link:
http://i.imgur.com/y7CT9e7.jpg
Wow, I had never thought of doing that, so you're using the joystick as a mouse?
Yup. It does require using a remapping application, but it works nicely and since joysticks often have a lot more buttons, it can do more than a typical mouse. And while I didn't buy it for ergonomic reasons, I have noticed that the soreness that had set into one of my fingers recently has reduced significantly since I started using it.

For remapping, I recommend AntiMicro (https://github.com/Ryochan7/antimicro). The button mapping I'm using for it is:

Code: Select all

Axis 1: Mouse Up/Down (regular vertical joystick movement; sensitivity 60%)
Axis 2: Mouse Left/Right (regular horizontal joystick movement; sensitivity 60%)
Axis 3: Mouse Left/Right (joystick twist; sensitivity 75-80%)
Axis 4: Mouse Up/Down (mini-throttle; sensitivity 75-80%)
POV Stick: Scroll wheel
Button 1: Mouse Left Click (trigger)
Button 2: Mouse Right Click (thumb button)
Button 3: Mouse Middle Click (the larger button to the lower left of the POV stick)
Button 4: Currently unconfigured; I want to make it work as a dead key that changes Axis 3 to Mouse Up/Down while pressed (the larger button to the lower right of the POV stick)
Button 5: Home (the small button to the left side of the POV stick)
Button 6: End (the small button to the right side of the POV stick)
Buttons 7-12: Currently unconfigured (the six buttons on the base)

What got me thinking about it was that I saw vertical mice on Amazon, but couldn't get a firm answer about whether they'd be too tall to fit on my keyboard tray. And one of the models was shaped like a joystick, but lacked a scroll wheel (and it was in the $50-60 range, which is a total ripoff, IMO; the other vertical mice were less than $30, or even less than $20). Since if any of these options would force me to have it on top of my desk, I figured I might as well buy a standard joystick and remap it into a mouse, and I wouldn't have to deal with the lift-and-reposition action. The benefit there was that the joystick I was looking at and eventually bought (the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro) was listed for ~$35 online. What convinced me to actually buy it when I went to Office Depot last Friday was that they had it in-stock physically for only $27.

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Sat May 02, 2015 2:24 am

Everything pictured. 120$ ROOR bong, half oz of dank, and a 5$ pistol torch lighter with a red laser beam.

KaientaiAMV
Org Profile

Post by KaientaiAMV » Sat May 02, 2015 12:11 pm

dreamawake wrote:Quoted Image converted to link:
http://s23.postimg.org/ac7ixc1e3/lastth ... myself.jpg

Everything pictured. 120$ ROOR bong, half oz of dank, and a 5$ pistol torch lighter with a red laser beam.
Whoa, are you a gangster? O_O

Return to “General Discussion”