Comic Books

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Re: Comic Books

Post by hasteroth » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:11 pm

Oh and (curse you lack of edit)

Read Runaways. It's got to be one of the better comics I've read.
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.

competitionbros
Org Profile

Post by competitionbros » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:40 pm

hasteroth wrote:Ultimate Marvel. It is glorious. I've been reading every Ultimate Marvel Comic. I can give you a link and a reading order so you don't have to buy them all and figure out the right order to read them in.

Or if you only want to read one of them, read Ultimate Spiderman. There's also Ultimate Comics Spiderman which picks up after the end of Ultimate Spiderman.

Ultimate X-Men is better IMO. They made Peter a huge bitch in Ultimate Spider-man but it's still worth a read.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:32 pm

that shouldn't bother hasteroth
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Snowcrash
Org Profile

Post by Snowcrash » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:12 am

Are you interested only in comics (more about superheroes) ?
Or could you be interested in graphic novels (independant comic) ?

If yes, I could suggest you few of them if you want.

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:00 am

So, Daniel (dwchang) came down for New Years and brought along a few books for me to read. They include:

Midnight Nation
Rising Stars Vol. 1: Born In Fire
Rising Stats Vol. 2: Power
Green Lantern: Emerald Twilight - New Dawn

I've been on a definite Green Lantern kick as of late. In addition to these, I received the next 3 books in the "Reading order" continuity that I found that lead up to the current GL run, so I read those almost immediately. Last night I started out with the Green Lantern book that Daniel gave me. It was a really great read considering that it actually shows/explains what happened to Hal Jordan to make him go psycho in the first place, plus it introduces Kyle Rayner as the newest 2814 Lantern. Very cool stuff.

Midnight Nation... Hoo boy... What a freaking trip. Pun intended. More than anything else I've read it felt like I complete journey. I don't want to give anything away about the plot, but suffice to say, it's easily one of the best books I've read. I couldn't help but compare it to Y the Last Man, and I get the feeling that this played a heavy influence on it in certain capacities (speaking of which, I also now own the first 4 volumes of the Deluxe Hardcovers). I can definitely see why this is Daniel's favorite book, and I plan to buy a copy for myself eventually and have other people read it.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Jadecavy
Org Profile

Post by Jadecavy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Brad wrote:I've really never been all that interested in comics
Comics != Comic Books. Comics are terrible strips in newspapers. ;P

Read resident evil, and the walking dead if you're a zombie fag like myself. If not, I'd go for ultimate X-Men, as comp said. It's fucking badass.

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:45 am

Jadecavy wrote:
Brad wrote:I've really never been all that interested in comics
Comics != Comic Books. Comics are terrible strips in newspapers. ;P

Read resident evil, and the walking dead if you're a zombie fag like myself. If not, I'd go for ultimate X-Men, as comp said. It's fucking badass.
Oh Walking Dead is good. And yes I agree, I'm a Spideyfag but Ultimate X-Men was bad-fucking-ass.
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.

Snowcrash
Org Profile

Post by Snowcrash » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:14 pm

It seems the most part of suggestions here concern superheroes comics.
So I would like to suggest more about graphic novels if you don't mind.

I am not sure if this genre is as popular as in France or Italy. But I would like to present few of these titles. Graphic novel is called Bande Dessinée (BD) which litteraly means "Draw Strip".

As you know (or not), french-belgian comics are very famous in these countries but are very rare overseas. Few of them are translated in english.

First, there is a partnership between the french publisher Soleil (essentially a fantasy publisher) and Marvel for few years now.

So Marvel bought the copyright of few series :

- Universal War One by David Bajram : a space opera serie in six issues. It's about temporal travel. I highly recommand it. The story is quiet awesome.

- Sky Doll : an italian serie in 3 issues. Very beautiful drawings. Story is all right. SciFi story again. But not as awesome as UW1.

Marvel published few other titles of Soleil : Scourge of the Gods, Samurai, Ythaq.
ImageImageImage

Okay now the following titles can be bound in english BUT not sure if it's available on USA territory.
- Wake (Sillage) by Jean-David Morvan and Philippe Buchet : a really popular SF serie in France. There was a controversy about the first issue : as you know american publisher are very careful about nudity. Navee is topless during all the first issue and the US publisher censored it with an ugly black mark on her tits T_T

US Censorship:
Spoiler :
ImageImageImage
Requiem, Vampire Knight by Pat Mills (who is know in US I think) and Oliver Ledroit (this guy is a great artist). An original fantastic story about vampire. Recommanded.
Spoiler :
To finish my selection, I will recommand a very good american graphic novel by Craig Thompson : Blankets which a very beautiful love and autobiographic story. Read it, it's an order ^^

If you want more informations about foreign comics translated in english, I can recommand this website : http://koti.mbnet.fi/~z14/euro-comics/index.html
You can find the most part of french graphic novels which are translated.

If you want to go further, this french website is a good database of BD, comics and manga. You will realize that we got a lot of manga and comics in addition of our stuff ;)

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:46 pm

very interesting 'you won't eat us!!' lol
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:31 pm

Dude, thanks a bunch for the recommendations. Both UW1 and Sky Doll look really damn cool. I've also heard very good things about Blankets. I will definitely check them out. And yeah, I'm absolutely down with graphic novels or even longer form stand-alone monthly titles with no tie-ins or continuity issues that the mainstream capes/cowls series are dominated by. That being said, I am still very much into the whole capes/cowls thing. Just last night I finished reading the huge DC Universe changer Crisis on Infinite Earths. I'm sure anybody who's into DC books knows what this is. I also read a companion piece that came out right after it called History of the DC Universe. It definitely helped to give a lot of relevance to what I had just read. For as messy as the whole thing was, I've gotta say, I'm very glad I read it. I know people say to stay away from the big "event" titles but hey, sue me. I like em (don't actually sue me). It was pretty appropriate timing since I had also just read volume 1 of the Sinestro Corps War in the Green Lantern series, and it features the Anti-Monitor and a lot of other stuff that makes more sense after reading CoIE. Now I'm planning on going through and catching up on Infinite Crisis, and much to Daniel's dismay, I'll probably check out Final Crisis as well.

Along with all these DC comics, I also watched the 4 DC Animated Showcase shorts that came out in the past year. Basically they're 12-24 minute short animated films focusing on some of the lesser represented characters in the DC Animated Universe. There were shorts for Green Arrow, Jonah Hex, The Spectre, and a Superman/Shazam crossover. All 4 shorts were really damn cool for different reasons. The animation in the Superman/Shazam short was fuckin AWESOME.

Aside from all of the cape/cowl stuff, I had mentioned before that I got the first 4 hardcover editions of Y the Last Man. I am really itching to dive into them, but the crappy thing is that vol. 5 (the last one) won't be out until June. So I either have to just download scans or buy vol. 9 and 10 of the TPBs, which I would just end up replacing with the HC once it comes out :\ So.. eh.. I dunno..
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Return to “General Discussion”