Comic Books

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Brad
Org Profile

Re: Comic Books

Post by Brad » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:18 pm

I seem to remember seeing it on the shelves.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Kristyrat
Time-traveling penguin
Org Profile

Post by Kristyrat » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:58 pm

Prodigi wrote:Next time you're at the comic store can you see if they have the full collection of Preacher? If so I'm joining you in a visit to the store when I get there and buying it.

I'm a fan of Garth Ennis and that series seems right up my alley.
Definitely seen Preacher there, was curious to check it out since I'm liking The Boys so much.

I'm all caught up trade paperback-wise for Irredeemable, Incorruptible and The Boys, I've also been picking up back issues of 30 Days of Night, just because I love the cover art. I've found that I enjoy "independent" releases more so than the typical Marvel/DC comics, but I know that I'm missing out on a lot of really awesome comics, so I'm going to try and steal some of Brad's eventually. Next on my list of series to start is Walking Dead, I'll probably pick up a few volumes next time we go.

Oh, I also wanted to check out Transmetropolitan, since I've heard a lot of good things about it too.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:28 pm

Brad wrote:Just picked up the JMS run of Thor (all 3 volumes). This better be good :O
It is.

It's not my favorite JMS book, but was definitely the best thing I read last year. It'll at least give you an idea of what his writing style is. Based on you like Whedon's run I have a feeling you'll like JMS's Thor run. Recently he actually released this kick ass Superman trade (it's not canon...just like an alternate retelling) and it's freaking awesome. I only got it b/c I reserved it. It sold out everywhere and I even saw CNN do some feature on it. That was actually kind of weird...anyway...
Kristyrat wrote: I've found that I enjoy "independent" releases more so than the typical Marvel/DC comics, but I know that I'm missing out on a lot of really awesome comics, so I'm going to try and steal some of Brad's eventually. Next on my list of series to start is Walking Dead, I'll probably pick up a few volumes next time we go
I wouldn't say there's a "type" of comic I prefer since I just read whatever I'm told is good, but the Walking Dead is great. It's unfortunate I live in Madison (and not Chicago). I have all 13 of the trades and could save you quite a few bucks :P.

I don't know if this is a good or bad thing for you, but the comic is very different from the TV show. The show has been taking quite a few liberties so far and I feel pretty "meh" about it. Then again, I have a feeling that might just be the snob comic book fan in me...
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Prodigi
is the conductor.
Org Profile

Post by Prodigi » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:58 pm

Brad wrote:I seem to remember seeing it on the shelves.
Kristyrat wrote:Definitely seen Preacher there, was curious to check it out since I'm liking The Boys so much.
Sweeeeeet.

Andre, I'd totally suggest checking out some more Ennis if you're enjoying the writing and over-the-top violence in The Boys. A lot of his work seems to be that way. I particularly loved what he did with the Punisher MAX series. The Punisher has never been more gritty or gruesome. I lost interest in it when they renamed it to Punisher: Frank Castle and Ennis left it :(

I was thinking about Preacher because I'd heard good things about it plus I just re-read his mini-series "Just A Pilgrim" last night which has similar religious overtones.

I also definitely endorse The Walking Dead. I havn't checked out the TV show because I'm afraid of what Daniel said might be true: they've taken a lot of liberties with it. The comic for me is an amazing piece of fiction that really pumps you up and gets you emotional about things that happen in it. Very well written and executed. I'm a bit behind on the comic these days though :(

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:43 am

Prodigi wrote:I also definitely endorse The Walking Dead. I havn't checked out the TV show because I'm afraid of what Daniel said might be true: they've taken a lot of liberties with it. The comic for me is an amazing piece of fiction that really pumps you up and gets you emotional about things that happen in it. Very well written and executed. I'm a bit behind on the comic these days though :(
Well don't get me wrong. It's not AWFUL. It's just not fantastic either. If you can get past the "it's not exactly the same as the comic" aspect you can still hopefully enjoy it. Since I watch so little TV to begin with (other than football), it gives me something to watch weekly I guess.

I don't intend to spoil things, but just in case, how far are you in the comics/trades? Have you read past 8 or 9?

To anyone who is watching the show or interested in the comics, go for it. Unlike the typical zombie tropes, Kirkman is writing the Walking Dead in a "what happens for an extended period of time in these situations?" Most movies have a set plotline where at the end a handful of protagonists walk off into the sunset or something. This book is a "well what happens next?" The zombies are also not really a major point. The main point of the book is to show how human beings would react in this hopeless situation and the lengths they'll go to survive. It's mostly an emotional ride rather than a thriller/horror.
-Daniel

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:50 am

dwchang wrote:To anyone who is watching the show or interested in the comics, go for it. Unlike the typical zombie tropes, Kirkman is writing the Walking Dead in a "what happens for an extended period of time in these situations?" Most movies have a set plotline where at the end a handful of protagonists walk off into the sunset or something. This book is a "well what happens next?" The zombies are also not really a major point. The main point of the book is to show how human beings would react in this hopeless situation and the lengths they'll go to survive. It's mostly an emotional ride rather than a thriller/horror.
Makes me think the that the name of the series/comic, "The Walking Dead", are actually the survivors themselves rather then the zombies... They're all dead, just a matter of time.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:29 am

Pwolf wrote:Makes me think the that the name of the series/comic, "The Walking Dead", are actually the survivors themselves rather then the zombies... They're all dead, just a matter of time.
Uhh...Rick actually says that in the 2nd or 3rd trade :P. There's actually a few good quotes in the comics. I wonder if they'll use them word for word? They did in the last episode. When Amy said "I gotta pee" I was like "SHIT IS ABOUT TO GO DOWN!"

(seriously)
-Daniel

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:39 am

Yea, figured that's what the author was going for. The show is very much about the people more so then the zombies which was reinforced in the last episode and then based on what you posted, it made more sense. I've been enjoying the show so far, thinking of getting the trades. I should probably finish midnight nation first tho >.>

Koopiskeva
|:
Location: Out There Occupation: Fondling Private Areas ..of the Nation.
Org Profile

Post by Koopiskeva » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:15 am

I'm gonna binge-watch it as I had binge-read the comics. |:>
Hi.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:37 am

Koopiskeva wrote:I'm gonna binge-watch it as I had binge-read the comics. |:>
So you're all the way through Trade 13? Wow you're even ahead of me. I got 13 on my desk, but haven't read it. I have a feeling you may be disappointed given all the changes >_>.
-Daniel

Return to “General Discussion”