The Otakon 2010 Thread (OK now panic)

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Ryvannis
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2010 Thread (OK now panic)

Post by Ryvannis » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:04 am

Can I get a critique on my video? It's the latest one in my profile. I'm wondering that if it not getting into Otakon and AX is a sign that I'm out of taste for the judges, or contests in general. :?
Anyways, congratz to all the finalist!

Adv1sor
Org Profile

Post by Adv1sor » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:35 am

VicBond007 wrote:...proving that it's who you know and not what you can do...

Jefferys
Org Profile

Post by Jefferys » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:17 am

Adv1sor wrote:
MycathatesyouAMV wrote:It looks like i missed alot. can someone fill me in on everything ?
Otakon is apparently unhappy that the AMV contest and AMV Overflow are such popular events and are doing everything they can to try and screw it over this year. Or so it seems...
Don't forget fan parodies, which is also in a related vein to AMVs...
Jefferson Eng - As heard on the Otaku Generation podcast
http://twitter.com/jeffersoneng | https://www.facebook.com/JeffersonEng
Tom Servo: Oh, they're flying into a Roger Dean album cover.
Crow T. Robot: They're very into Yes on this planet.

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:04 am

Yay, I actually remember my login password. Yeah, I've not logged on for a while or realistically done much of anything regarding AMVs... all my spare time has been taken up working on cars lately.

But, I did want to set one thing straight- the credit for trying to set things right at Otakon doesn't belong with me, it belongs with my department head and one of Otakon's Vice Chairs, Mike Lee. He found out about things, asked for my take on it from a bit more of an inside perspective (though I had to read up on things, having no knowledge of any of this prior to his asking about it...), and started taking action from there. I will be serving as the interface with Otakon's A/V union though since I've worked all the parties involved before and can readily pull Mike into things if there are any problems that need higher-ranking firepower than I count for.

So, I'll definitely be working to try and make sure things run as smoothly as they can in my capacity as one of the tech staff, but don't deserve the credit for getting the ball rolling back in the right direction.
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

msanogi
Org Profile

Post by msanogi » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:39 am

VicBond007 wrote: Comedy
Scintilla
Jubjub2
Cyanna
VivifxAMV
@ Productions
Despite all of the mayhem... I'd be lying if I didn't say I was excited to (potentially) make it in. I started yelling last night on my shoot when I saw that (much to the confusion of everyone else) XD

Congratulations and good luck to everyone!

Thanks for your hard work in trying to make this contest the best that it can be Vic!

And

Go go super Ashyukun/Mike Lee! :up:
"YAY."

-@ Productions-

jubjub2
Org Profile

Post by jubjub2 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Wow - I made it in! |:>

After reading through all the pages, I want to give a big thank you to Vic for all his hard work and keeping us up to date on the inside information. It's good for fans to see what happens in the planning stages to make these large cons come together, even if it is not necessarily what we want to see. Hopefully the powers that be will have more willingness to listen to what the con-goers want, and keep the convention as a fan gathering rather than morphing into a trade show.

Sooooo.... If companies are sponsoring/paying for convention space and time, will that mean admission prices for the fans will drop? :roll:

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:01 pm

jubjub2 wrote: Sooooo.... If companies are sponsoring/paying for convention space and time, will that mean admission prices for the fans will drop? :roll:
Psh. I'm betting next year $75 will be the early bird registration rate.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:36 pm

Adv1sor wrote:AUSA was the first place I saw an AMV and it's always been the best con for AMVs. Just knowing there is a room where you can stop by almost anytime of day or night and see some good AMVs, wow.
I don't know, I beg to differ somewhat, Sakura-Con gives a room 850+ in seating size with main stage sound and huge screen/projector to AMVs all weekend long :wink: Anime Evolution has had a room as big as 650+ cap for AMVs, and this year I get a 400 cap theater with plush seats :D .. So I think there are other cons with great AMV rooms too |:>

Sad to see such an issue with Otakon... seems more cons taking a back seat to AMVs although they fill rooms.. I don't know, I always figures con should do what the fans want to see... I guess a dedicated AMV room at Otakon is now totally out of the question ...

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

Mroni
Location: Heading for the 90s living in the 80s sitting in a back room waiting for the big boom
Org Profile

Post by Mroni » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:40 pm

How can they be losing rooms the freakin convention center added a hotel and the con just gets bigger. Im at a loss this is bullcrap.

Jefferys
Org Profile

Post by Jefferys » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:31 am

You know, for some reason, I'm a bit surprised nobody used any songs by Phoenix for this contest...or is my memory cheating me slightly?
Jefferson Eng - As heard on the Otaku Generation podcast
http://twitter.com/jeffersoneng | https://www.facebook.com/JeffersonEng
Tom Servo: Oh, they're flying into a Roger Dean album cover.
Crow T. Robot: They're very into Yes on this planet.

Return to “AMV Contests”