2010 Anime Central AMV Contest Results

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

Re: 2010 Anime Central AMV Contest Rules

Postby Scintilla » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:37 pm

outlawed wrote:IMPORTANT NOTICE 1: Submitting 23.976 MPEG-2
DO NOT SET the 3:2 pulldown playback flag. This results in your file being played back at 29.97 interlaced and software de-interlacing it on the fly. There were 3 videos submitted like this and I have already corrected them with dgpulldown to prevent possible issues down the road.

I didn't even know this could be an issue. I'd always been under the impression that software players didn't even bother applying the 3:2 pulldown, because PCs have no problem playing stuff back at 23.976 progressive -- I always thought the flag was just there for standalone DVD players and MPEG playback cards that were outputting to a display that required 29.97 interlaced.

Which player is rendering it at 29.97 interlaced? I'm curious now.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby Kazemon15 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:59 pm

I entered my video entries, but I accidentally put the wrong category on one of them. I sent in a request for changing entry notification.
Currently replaying/recording: Tales of Vesperia (Xbox360) and Tales of Graces F (PS3)
ImageImage<-- Now available
Kazemon15

Postby SailorDeath » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:25 am

We just posted the AMV room's schedule, you can view it here:

http://www.acen.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=35695
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....
SailorDeath

Postby Fall_Child42 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:43 am

It's not really a question, but I did upload a couple of fixed copies of my videos so a review of them and a status change would be awesome.
Fall_Child42
has a rock

Postby outlawed » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:07 am

The due date of April 19th is fast approaching.

This is a call to the community. As of this time we have one Dance/Upbeat entry and no entries beyond that one are even pending. This is typically a very popular category for the audience. Please rectify this!! Thank you.

Based on last year's timetable we are well behind on overall entries. If you have something good and were hesitant about some perceived worry of "trolling" forget about it and please send the entry in. This is a very critical year for the contest especially since we have a larger room than we've had in years. I got involved in helping write some of the programming info and specifically listed the contest for the program guide as if you see one AMV event during the con then this is the one. I know it is hard to get the ridiculous level of quality content we got the last two years but at the moment the main thing that will help is to simply get more submissions.
outlawed

Postby outlawed » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:00 am

Scintilla wrote:I didn't even know this could be an issue. I'd always been under the impression that software players didn't even bother applying the 3:2 pulldown, because PCs have no problem playing stuff back at 23.976 progressive -- I always thought the flag was just there for standalone DVD players and MPEG playback cards that were outputting to a display that required 29.97 interlaced.
Which player is rendering it at 29.97 interlaced? I'm curious now.

I think it was an old powerdvd directshow filter I was messing with during testing. I can't remember at the moment. Most media players will ignore it. As far as using all kinds of different splitters and directshow filters on windows that is probably more suspect. I think one time at a friend's place when we were reviewing some of the AMV archive we were trying to figure out wtf the interlaced videos weren't de-interlacing on the fly and then found out someone had setup an override and it was using a hardware codec for this tv card he had instead of the usual MPEG-2 filters used by MPC.

To answer the real why: We don't primarily treat anything like it's in the NTSC world anymore (hence the switch to requiring progressive 2 years ago and making it a recommendation 3 years ago) but I still need to be prepared and have a fallback plan (DVD). So I tend to prefer to just not have the flag set so later when I do things with the archive down the road beyond even this year I don't have to worry about "will this software app or avisynth setup" treat this as interlaced or progressive. Usually when I need to prep a conversion I always use an intermediate like huffyuv exported from an avisynth setup. Sometimes I've had files choke on that though and have had to rely on other programs which have limitations or behaviors I don't like or am not as familiar with.
outlawed

Postby Niwa » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:24 pm

Let's see if we can fix up Alter a bit this upcoming week, we'll eventually make it before the deadline.
Niwa
Cake Addiction

Re: 2010 Anime Central AMV Contest Rules - Due 4/19/2010

Postby SailorDeath » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:34 pm

Hey guys, I updated the first post, be sure to check the first message again for all relevant information.
SailorDeath

Postby Athena » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:56 am

I've submitted.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Postby SailorDeath » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:59 pm

6 days guys! Come on I wanna see more of your amvs :D
SailorDeath

Postby SailorDeath » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:48 pm

4 days guys! Just four days remain! And remember you have to at least be in the process of uploading by the time the deadline passes. This means that just because you have an account on the ftp server you're not guaranteed to be in the contest.
SailorDeath

Postby ngsilver » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:35 am

SailorDeath wrote:4 days guys! Just four days remain! And remember you have to at least be in the process of uploading by the time the deadline passes. This means that just because you have an account on the ftp server you're not guaranteed to be in the contest.

That is correct. At the deadline I will disable all FTP accounts. Only those who are actively uploading their videos will be allowed to continue. Effectively, this means that you need to request your ftp access and begin uploading your video before Midnight on the 20th EDT. Don't wait until the last min to request an FTP account. While I plan to be more punctual with authoring accounts as the deadline draws near it still may take a few hours at least for you to receive your account (after all, I do still have to work and attend classes.) The solution: request EARLY.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy

Postby Castor Troy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:37 am

ngsilver wrote:The solution: request EARLY.

ahahahahahahahahahhHAAHAAAHAAAHA!!

These are amv editors we're talking about here...
"Vlad, you will not get my new blockbuster video. Sorry bro." - Chemix800, Hollywood Editor
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E

Postby Cenit » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:32 pm

I won't make it in time. Need one more week to finish properly. Sorry guys.
ImageImageImage
Cenit

Postby SailorDeath » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:44 am

Less than 48 hours remain! Hurry up guys!
SailorDeath

PreviousNext

Return to AMV Contests