The Otakon 2009 thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2009 thread

Post by Scintilla » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:34 pm

outlawed wrote:Although I was not at Otakon I was able to find some footage of the audience's reaction to the contest. I have to say maybe I should see what Otakon's all about some day.
Let me tell you, it was really good to see them packing the room for the contest -- what's the capacity on Hall C, something like 2000 people? -- now just as much as six years ago. Admittedly, I don't think Hall C seats as many people as the (unpartitioned) ballroom or the hangar, but still.

Having such a great responsive crowd is one of the best motivations any editor could have to keep on sending in their best videos. Just one more reason I love this convention.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:44 pm

Scintilla wrote:
outlawed wrote:Although I was not at Otakon I was able to find some footage of the audience's reaction to the contest. I have to say maybe I should see what Otakon's all about some day.
Let me tell you, it was really good to see them packing the room for the contest -- what's the capacity on Hall C, something like 2000 people? -- now just as much as six years ago. Admittedly, I don't think Hall C seats as many people as the (unpartitioned) ballroom or the hangar, but still.

Having such a great responsive crowd is one of the best motivations any editor could have to keep on sending in their best videos. Just one more reason I love this convention.
I think it's about 2,200 or so. Multiply that by 3 showings (though Sunday was about half full, but still, I was shocked that there were that many). It was cool to see them packing the room, but I got *really* lucky to get seats together with my friends in the editor's section (guess that happens when you want to show up 10 minutes before kick off :sweat: ).

freya13
Org Profile

Post by freya13 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:04 pm

NightMistress85 wrote:
Scintilla wrote:

I think it's about 2,200 or so. Multiply that by 3 showings (though Sunday was about half full, but still, I was shocked that there were that many). It was cool to see them packing the room, but I got *really* lucky to get seats together with my friends in the editor's section (guess that happens when you want to show up 10 minutes before kick off :sweat: ).
i THINK the seating for Video 1 is 2,800. (but don't quote me there) with maybe ~100 seats not filled because you couldn't see ANYTHING from certain angles on the far ends, and second showing held more people in seats because we HAD to disallow re-entry into the contest if you left because there was line chaos outside,(and it's not like there weren't bathrooms in the room) and we "filled" (minus the sh*t seats) the room for both of the first 2 showings. sooooooooo.......... yea a lot XD
Render-chan Error-chan >:3

DarkXPower
Org Profile

Post by DarkXPower » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:48 pm

I love how the whole audience jumped when my 'Fire Alive' video started up. The sound was WAY too loud, and they weren't expecting an explosion of heavy metal like that...it was great...too bad it was in overflow and I only got to see it once.
Otaku Vengeance: Pushing adrenaline fueled AMV's since 2000

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:51 pm

Nygmatech Enterprises wrote:Congrats to everybody who won, placed, made it to Overflow, etc! And thanks for voting for me. I just about had a heart attack during Iron Editor.
Did you see me on the stage freaking out with about 5 minutes to go? That was when PREMIERE CRASHED ON ME. I nearly had a heart attack right there and then!!!

And although I didn't actively save -- which would have been THREE heart attacks -- VERY LUCKILY I rendered my video shortly before the crash, so Vic was able to restore my timeline back to that point, when my video was about 98% finished. If it weren't for the fact that I only had 3 minutes left on the clock after recovery, I would have gotten in some basic fade-to-black/white and cross-fade transitions that I left for the end.

The most surprising thing for me is that the judging was 2-2, and they had to go to a tiebreak, and Bryce won the tiebreak (on style). Both me and Bryce were thinking that he had the majority win (either 3-1 or 4-0).

Iron Editor is one 2-hour pressure cooker. It's NOT as easy as it looks. But I still had a blast doing it. Thanks to Vic, Bob, and Omar for putting this together every year, thanks to Bryce for giving me a run for my money, and thanks to Mike/Meri/Kevin/DW for being kind and brutally honest. :)
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:07 am

DarkXPower wrote:I love how the whole audience jumped when my 'Fire Alive' video started up. The sound was WAY too loud, and they weren't expecting an explosion of heavy metal like that...it was great...too bad it was in overflow and I only got to see it once.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :up:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

chui101
Org Profile

Post by chui101 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:25 am

Brakus wrote:Did you see me on the stage freaking out with about 5 minutes to go? That was when PREMIERE CRASHED ON ME. I nearly had a heart attack right there and then!!!
Yeah I'm pretty sure everyone in the first five rows heard Vic (I think it was Vic) exclaim "HE DIDN'T SAVE?!" :D Good recovery though.

I am gonna have to check out that secret ingredient sometime, lol.
whispersreloaded wrote:Parody/Trailer . . . just can't top Edward Elric and the Full Metal Prince, even though everyone in that section was entertaining. But CyberNinja had a great blend of action/drama and humor, the way a trailer should be.
Aww, thanks. I'm ... blushing now... :oops: I do owe a lot of that to WB for mixing up a really awesome trailer! I just put on the FMA video clips :D

It was nice meeting some of you guys in person! Hopefully next year I'll have time to go do social stuff with some AMV makers Saturday night instead of getting dragged off to the rave against my will :D
Cyber Ninja Productions - http://www.devilsbsd.net

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:43 am

I swear I'll never feel like a real part of this community until I get an entry into the Otakon finals.

But I think I have something that will get me there.

I'm determined, doggoneit...
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

chui101
Org Profile

Post by chui101 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:25 am

deuceloosely wrote:I swear I'll never feel like a real part of this community until I get an entry into the Otakon finals.

But I think I have something that will get me there.

I'm determined, doggoneit...
oh, is that the rite of passage into the .org? :)

i dunno, i feel like meeting some of the other people on here in person was my induction into the .org... up until that point i'm mostly chatting with .gif and .jpg's, but to know who is behind that avatar makes it completely different.
Cyber Ninja Productions - http://www.devilsbsd.net

Kratza
Org Profile

Post by Kratza » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:08 am

TheLongshot wrote:I give some extra credit to Sunrise Studios for them making a video that would get me interested in playing a DS game.
Thanks for the mention! Radman and I set out to bring something truly unique to the AMV scene by making a finalist-quality AMV with footage from not just any video game, but a dual screen, portable one at that.

I wish I could have been there, but since I counted on it making the AX AMV Contest Finalist list as well (and that's the con I made arrangements to attend), I wasn't able to make the trip to Baltimore once the finalists for Otakon were announced.

How was it received by the audience in general, if you care to elaborate? Regardless, we know it got one person interested in the game :) , which really makes us happy--I'm pleased it could cater to the non-fan as well.

Return to “AMV Contests”