The Otakon 2009 thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Parodic Productions
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2009 thread

Post by Parodic Productions » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:30 pm

robodevil wrote:I voted for you, corsair!

I was a finalist too - Hellsing Ultimate, Closer to Dog - but... I entered it as an action video, and made it as an action video... it was weird to see it in the comedy section. Yeah, it was built to have chuckles, and wasn't paced like a retard on crack - it's Hellsing. It's a smooth action show with chuckles in it.

But, hope you guys liked it enough anyway. Next year I'm making a flat out comedy video. We'll see if that goes as smoothly.
Now I get it. I was afraid of saying it, so I kept shut. It did feel out of place in that category.

Come to think, there were a couple vids that felt like they belonged to different categories. Can't remember which exactly. Meh.

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:35 pm

I'll tell you what surprises me...that "Eureka Bebop" didn't place. I watched the whole thing scratching my head wondering if the author reconstructed it frame by frame. It seems like a LOT of work went into this and the viewers loved it. Anyway, it was my choice to at least runner-up for trailers. That was some hella-fine editing...
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:46 pm

Rinny wrote:
AMVorgasm wrote:I had a lot of fun this year, the AMV contest and the IC were both enjoyable! <3 Congrats to the winners! I really loved the comedy category!

Though I got some bad responses to my AMV .__.;
I'm totally not entering anything pink or SC! next year :/
What do you mean you got some bad responses? You won your category!
No she didn't, Moonlight Soldier did.
deuceloosely wrote:I'll tell you what surprises me...that "Eureka Bebop" didn't place. I watched the whole thing scratching my head wondering if the author reconstructed it frame by frame. It seems like a LOT of work went into this and the viewers loved it.
Uh, hi. :P

(Though I don't mind admitting that I voted for it too.)
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:50 pm

Had a fabulous time at the con this year! It was a pleasure meeting so many of you this time! The contest was very entertaining and I was happy to have been a part of it. Congrats to the winners and finalists as well! I never go to the contest showing Sunday, however I decided to go in again while I ate lunch and I was shocked at how many people were actually in there on a Sunday :up:.

For anyone interested:

Rinny
Org Profile

Post by Rinny » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Scintilla wrote:
Rinny wrote:
AMVorgasm wrote:I had a lot of fun this year, the AMV contest and the IC were both enjoyable! <3 Congrats to the winners! I really loved the comedy category!

Though I got some bad responses to my AMV .__.;
I'm totally not entering anything pink or SC! next year :/
What do you mean you got some bad responses? You won your category!
No she didn't, Moonlight Soldier did.
Now I understand the confusion...I looked at his/her profile and saw a video with the same song as the winner, and made the assumption.

deuceloosely wrote:I'll tell you what surprises me...that "Eureka Bebop" didn't place. I watched the whole thing scratching my head wondering if the author reconstructed it frame by frame. It seems like a LOT of work went into this and the viewers loved it.

(Though I don't mind admitting that I voted for it too.)[/quote]

Yeah...that would be why it didn't get anything. XD

Pockying
Org Profile

Post by Pockying » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:45 pm

Rinny wrote: Now I understand the confusion...I looked at his/her profile and saw a video with the same song as the winner, and made the assumption.
My friend told me when my video came on some guy closed his eyes and put his head back
I didn't think it was that distustingly pink and perky ... ha...ha...... it kinda made me sad :<

deuceloosely wrote:I'll tell you what surprises me...that "Eureka Bebop" didn't place. I watched the whole thing scratching my head wondering if the author reconstructed it frame by frame. It seems like a LOT of work went into this and the viewers loved it. Anyway, it was my choice to at least runner-up for trailers. That was some hella-fine editing...

Reu did actually and redrew some scenes, I think he has a list of what he did to the scenes on yt O:

TheLongshot
Org Profile

Post by TheLongshot » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:20 am

Silk_SK wrote:Here's mine. I was surprised I didn't at least get runners up, especially considering the winner.

I voted for your video. Personally, I think it would have done better in the "Romance/Sentimental" category, which I felt was pretty weak this year.

No real complaint about the winner, tho, who would have been my second choice.

Rinny
Org Profile

Post by Rinny » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:22 am

Reu did actually and redrew some scenes, I think he has a list of what he did to the scenes on yt O:
It was well-done, sure...but Eva Bebop showed at Otakon only a few years ago. I'm sure that a lot of people remembered it. Sorry, but no points for originality...

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:28 am

What videos were played at Iron Editor?
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:33 am

Scintilla wrote:

(Though I don't mind admitting that I voted for it too.)
Ah, yes...the mastermind behind the Puni-chan vid! That was awesome stuff, although my idea for using the anime for a future AMV (and thinking I'm being original) is out the window. :P

But as long as we're here, would you mind PMing me a brief critique on this?

http://tinyurl.com/kshs3h

Disregarding any sync lag from YT, just tell me what more (or less) I could do with this o make it more WTF and more suitable for upbeat or comedy. I'd appreciate the wisdom of a 'org celeb... ;)
Rinny wrote:It was well-done, sure...but Eva Bebop showed at Otakon only a few years ago. I'm sure that a lot of people remembered it. Sorry, but no points for originality...
I guess I missed it, otherwise I would have remembered. But the new one just seems cleaner and more exact to the Cowboy Bebop opening (after having viewed the original a few moments ago). Not a knock on Scintilla; just that three years is a long time to learn and improve on technique...
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Return to “AMV Contests”