The Otakon 2009 thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Sonydjsnmix
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2009 thread

Post by Sonydjsnmix » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:03 am

Silk_SK wrote:Here's mine. I was surprised I didn't at least get runners up, especially considering the winner.

I was surprised as well since it was well edited and Eureka Seven is a popular show.

firestorm117
Org Profile

Post by firestorm117 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:00 am

I must admittedly say I am quite surprised that the Gurren Lagann "Tendonia" AMV in the action section didn't even place. I seriously can not stop watching it and headbanging to it the AMV is so epic. Oh well, at least Soul Groove placed runner up, it was my #2 choice.

KagatoAMV
Studio Hybrid
Org Profile

Post by KagatoAMV » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:08 am

Sounds like a great contest, congrats everyone.
"Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

phoenixblood
Org Profile

Post by phoenixblood » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:10 am

Thanks again to Vic and Alan and all the amv staff. I'm sure Otakon isn't nearly as fun with having to do all the work. So thanks for making it more enjoyable for the rest of us. :D

Congrats to all the winners, and to all the finalists just for making it. About some of the videos seeming to be in the wrong category, well, I can just say I know why that was done.....

TeamCanadia
Org Profile

Post by TeamCanadia » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:36 am

Gaah, sorry, a bit late on my 'Congratulations to the Winners and Finalists' here. I slept and slept after the convention. Hahaha.

And, well, I suppose Phoenix beat me too it. Thanks guys. That is a lot of work you guys do so the rest of us can run around and have fun.

...And about the Bebop parody opening video...Sure, the idea isn't something completely new, but it is always a treat to see a video done in that way. They are quite a lot of work...

But most of all, to everyone, even if you didn't win, you just had thousands of people watching your video, and that is just great in itself. I personally really enjoyed the contest.

Nygmatech Enterprises
Org Profile

Post by Nygmatech Enterprises » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:52 am

Congrats to everybody who won, placed, made it to Overflow, etc! And thanks for voting for me. I just about had a heart attack during Iron Editor.

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:29 am

Castor Troy wrote:What videos were played at Iron Editor?
Along with the ones AMVorgasm mentioned, I also remembered the following being played:

-Sensei Says
-Right Now
-Chronicles of Ghibli
-The Paranoia Agent/TF2 video
-Jinnai and the Bugrom LIVE!

whispersreloaded
Org Profile

Post by whispersreloaded » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:57 pm

In response to Scintilla, after we had our convo about Reu before the Saturday showing, I made a point of asking Reu. He recognized your name only when we mentioned Waka Laka for Osaka, and said he didn't know you had made a bebop parody.

Also, as far as the Sunlight - Eureka 7 video went, I was really disappointed that didn't place. That was probably my favorite video I saw this year at Otakon and I voted it best in show. I am glad that the ToS video got second at least, since that was my second favorite in the drama category. Can't really comment on the romance/sentimental category, since I'm biased, but I was really a huge fan of the Nana video, and would have preferred to see that place, even if it meant knocking me out of runner up.

Comedy was good, the whole section was great, but I was satisfied with the winners. Parody/Trailer . . . just can't top Edward Elric and the Full Metal Prince, even though everyone in that section was entertaining. But CyberNinja had a great blend of action/drama and humor, the way a trailer should be. The action winners were pretty satisfactory. I enjoyed that section a lot, and I think I might try for either that or drama next year.

Iron Editor was a blast. I really didn't know what to expect going in, but I found it surprisingly fun and entertaining.

Anyway, this was a wonderful first experience for a con, and I was really excited that I was able to take runner up for Romance. Looking forward to another great year!
[Asylum | Studios]

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:14 pm

whispersreloaded wrote:Can't really comment on the romance/sentimental category, since I'm biased, but I was really a huge fan of the Nana video, and would have preferred to see that place, even if it meant knocking me out of runner up!
:shock: :shock: Wow thanks!! I actually felt that way about your video too! I even voted for it when I went to AB earlier this year :wink: And funny enough, I voted for the romance winner when I went to AMA (though it was in Upbeat there I believe). Either way, congrats! You did a fabulous job.

whispersreloaded
Org Profile

Post by whispersreloaded » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:30 pm

NightMistress85 wrote:
whispersreloaded wrote:Can't really comment on the romance/sentimental category, since I'm biased, but I was really a huge fan of the Nana video, and would have preferred to see that place, even if it meant knocking me out of runner up!
:shock: :shock: Wow thanks!! I actually felt that way about your video too! I even voted for it when I went to AB earlier this year :wink: And funny enough, I voted for the romance winner when I went to AMA (though it was in Upbeat there I believe). Either way, congrats! You did a fabulous job.
haha, that's quite the coincidence. And thank you so much! Yeah the Lovely Complex video seemed to be one of those videos that kinda hovered between categories. But I can see why they had to put it in Romance. It would have look silly next to all the dance videos XD
[Asylum | Studios]

Return to “AMV Contests”