The Otakon 2009 thread

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

The Otakon 2009 thread

Postby VicBond007 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:36 am

Final rules are up! Get 'em while they're hot!

http://www.otakon.com/amvrules.asp

Yes, we are accepting trailers again this year. That's not a typo. I can't make an official statement yet on Otakon's behalf or else the Otakorp Tribal Council will probably hand me my ass. Just know that I'm still sticking up for you guys, both past and future entrants :)

The deadline is a VERY HARD DEADLINE. We will likely be screening videos the next weekend, and the weekend after that, so that we have enough time to shoot a tape over to Otakon's lawyer for final approval before I make up the ballots and prepare the contest/overflow blocks for screening. This means that I won't even know the list of finalists until only a week or two before the con. Ya'll are gonna have to put up with being in the dark for a while. The only alternative is to push up the deadline. Do not want.

One major change this year is that all entrants will get a "l33t seat" badge for the AMV contest screenings, not just the finalists. We blocked off 4 rows last year, and only filled 2, so we do have space to work with. Hopefully I can get reimbursed for the materials this year. 500 badges don't laminate themselves :P

More details as they develop, but I'll certainly entertain questions in the meantime.
Last edited by VicBond007 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins
VicBond007

Re: Otakon 2009 AMV Contest Rules

Postby NightMistress85 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:34 pm

Oh that's awesome!! Thanks for the news!! :up: Time to get the ole girl finished up!

And I'm extremely happy to hear the trailer mess is worked out this year. It's a wonderful category.
NightMistress85

Postby Scintilla » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:40 pm

Okay, so say we send in one video now, but then in May it wins something at, say, AnimeCentral... can we send in another video to replace it?

Also, can you please add this contest to the contests list?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby Ryoko823 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:49 pm

I have been waiting forever for this!!! Why the heck arent they linked to website's main page?
Ryoko823

Postby Scintilla » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:54 pm

Ryoko823 wrote:I have been waiting forever for this!!! Why the heck arent they linked to website's main page?

Because, as Vic said, they aren't official yet -- the rules have to be approved by the Otakon higher-ups before they can be officially posted.

Oh yeah, and where's DJI? :P
ImageImage
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby Ryoko823 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:09 pm

Scintilla wrote:
Ryoko823 wrote:I have been waiting forever for this!!! Why the heck arent they linked to website's main page?

Because, as Vic said, they aren't official yet -- the rules have to be approved by the Otakon higher-ups before they can be officially posted.

Oh yeah, and where's DJI? :P

Yea, well Animenext and Otakon are waiting pretty long to tell us their deadlines. Wouldn't think that making the rules official would take that long since this is a yearly thing.

Just would have wanted the site updated faster so I would know exactly how much time I had left to finish it. :?
Ryoko823

Postby Parodic Productions » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:47 pm

Okay, new computer, new advanced editing software, new 640 Gb harddrive, new HD support, all I need is a video.

I've been putting this off long enough. High time I start getting back to this thing. I hope this year will see a bigger competition in comedy. Here's hoping...

I'm also looking toward entering the Atlanta competition this year. It's kinda silly I've never been to a con outside maryland before. But I'm planning to change that. I wanna be more active in this hobby than I usually am. I shouldn't have anymore excuses this year, so I should get started now. Looking forward to this.
Parodic Productions

Postby Athena » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:41 pm

I guess I could send something... mebbe.

...three minutes of lensflare maybe.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Postby HalOfBorg » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:51 am

Parodic Productions wrote:I hope this year will see a bigger competition in comedy. Here's hoping...

Wanna just surrender now??? :D :lol: :mrgreen: :amv:

(just kidding!)
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
HalOfBorg

Postby Scintilla » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:07 am

Ryoko823 wrote:Yea, well Animenext and Otakon are waiting pretty long to tell us their deadlines. Wouldn't think that making the rules official would take that long since this is a yearly thing.

Just would have wanted the site updated faster so I would know exactly how much time I had left to finish it. :?

They already did tell us the deadlines:

AnimeNEXT: May 22
Otakon: June 7

And in AnimeNEXT's case, the rules ARE official and linked to from their front page. As for Otakon, even though the rules aren't official, Vic just told us that "[t]he deadline is a VERY HARD DEADLINE."

Speaking of AnimeNEXT: Vic and DJI, would it be possible to not have the East Coast prescreening on the same weekend as AnimeNEXT (June 12-14)?
ImageImage
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby Parodic Productions » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:15 am

HalOfBorg wrote:
Parodic Productions wrote:I hope this year will see a bigger competition in comedy. Here's hoping...

(just kidding!)

Damn, I'm at work now, and they just put in this new Active Directory thing, so I can't download a thing.

I'll have to check it out later tonight.
Parodic Productions

Postby VicBond007 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:24 am

Scintilla: If you upload a new video before the deadline, and tell me to scratch the old one, then that's fine, regardless of your reason. The point of the rules is to keep out trolls, not punish people who win stuff! Just don't upload two videos at once and say "Put in video 1 unless it wins something kthxbye".

Scintilla again: DJI is working with fan parodies now.

Ryoko823: The rules and submission database were ready to go mid-February. However I did not make them available to the public for political reasons. Without going into finger-pointing detail, I refused to work for Otakon if they continued to support irrational decisions that crippled our hobby. Needless to say, since I'm back now, I report directly to the Director of Programming and am actually involved in the decision-making that affects my contest (fascinating concept, I know!).

Scintilla III: I will not have the East Coast screening on ANext weekend. Most of the Jerseyfolks will be there, and that's a sizable chunk of our prescreening audience, lol. I also have no clue where it will be. I haven't talked to Alan about it yet, and he certainly has no obligation to run it.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins
VicBond007

Postby Sonydjsnmix » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:59 am

Must finish video......................
Sonydjsnmix

Postby Silk_SK » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:25 pm

HAH! Finished the video I wanted to enter into the contest the DAY this thread was made. Considering I've been working on it for like 7 or 8 months I'd say that's pretty phenomenal timing.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” - Winston Churchill
Silk_SK

Postby Parodic Productions » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:39 pm

HalOfBorg wrote:

(just kidding!)

Okay, having seen it finally, I found it quite interesting. I'd been thinking of doing something similar two years ago, but I went a bit of a different direction.

Mine's gonna be more of a parody of special effects videos. Not to reveal anything, but KoopisKeva's on my list.
Parodic Productions

Next

Return to AMV Contests