2009 Judges Choice Awards

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Re: 2009 Judges Choice Awards

Post by Bauzi » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:38 am

[Mike of the Desert] wrote:
ultimateX021 wrote:Just got a PM from Koop.

I've heard of VCA, but not JCA (If they are one in the same.) Anyway, this whole thing sounds interesting. Can't wait to know more of what is going on in this board.
Why doesn´t this event get a small news at the front page of this website? :|

EDIT:
Oh... this contest already got one. Nevermind...
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

JazzyDJ
Org Profile

Post by JazzyDJ » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:57 am

Excellent. Thanks for directing me to this, Koop.
Number 1 on the Bottom 40

celibi87
Org Profile

Post by celibi87 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:55 pm

Wow, Its been a long time since I have been here. I might as well go ahead and join this for the sake of old times. Probably wont make the judges but might help nominate someone. Thanks for the random message koop :up:

Faltzer
Org Profile

Post by Faltzer » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:10 am

It seems like the voting is over now so there's not much I can do since it now lies in the judges hands. :)
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination!

Koopiskeva
|:
Location: Out There Occupation: Fondling Private Areas ..of the Nation.
Org Profile

Post by Koopiskeva » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:39 am

Faltzer wrote:It seems like the voting is over now so there's not much I can do since it now lies in the judges hands. :)
Only the nominations are over. The next round is actually voting for the judges from the nominated pool. Please participate by casting your vote for a worthy judge. : ]
Hi.

Jwalk0
Org Profile

Post by Jwalk0 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:06 pm

celibi87 wrote: Thanks for the random message koop :up:
Same here even though I just logged on today after being off for over a week and he gave it to me last Wednesday.
"Someday humankind will come to understand one another! I sincerely believe that!" Fei Fong Wong
"We live to make the impossible possible! That is our Focus!" Claire 'Lightning' Farron
"Believe in yourself, and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." Toonami

The Lord Jesus Christ is the only way.
Image Image

Rurounikeitaro
Org Profile

Post by Rurounikeitaro » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:29 pm

lol, same here. I haven't logged onto the forums since last year >_>

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:28 am

The contest is over, winners have been posted. If anyone has any questions, concerns, or suggestions please feel free to mention them in this thread. I'll probably post a reply covering wrap up and my opinions of how the contest went in awhile. I've spent the last several hours getting the winners list so I need a little break from thinking about this stuff at the moment.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:35 pm

Alrighty, I took my break from this. Here's a few semi-random thoughts I have about the contest. Feel free to discuss or ignore as you see fit.

First of all I'll just say upfront I don't know if I will do this next year. I hope Koop is able to run it actually. While I did it this year in my mind it's still Koop's contest and I believe he can do a better job with it than I can. Regardless of that, I do like the contest. I do believe it serves a role. I do want to see it continue. It's a whole year till the question of who continues this needs to be resolved, I will definately follow up on this later in the year to make sure this gets planned and done right. If need be I'd be willing to run it again in the future although, as I said, I think Koop is more suited to it.

I know there were a few problems this year. The main one being unfortunately things got started rather late. Due to that some parts of the contest were shorter than they should have been. Next year I definately want more pre-planning done and more time for nominations, voting, and judging. Voting was only a couple days this year and I was still getting PMs of people voting for judges as recently as yesterday (although the late votes wouldn't have changed who the judges were so no real problem there). I think voting should be at least a week, and perhaps nominations need more time although a few days actually seemed to serve well for that. I also think judges should be given more than 5 days to view and rate the videos. In theory nomination and voting could be finished before the VCAs are even started and judging could start the moment the semi-finalist are listed (if there are semi-finalist next year, jasper seems to have some doubt about that).

Another issue is PMs. All I can say is I still think 'reply to all' is a moronic default behavior but I did eventually learn the difference between CC and BCC...

In the future there are two things I would like to see JCA do. The first is to somehow limit the videos some. 191 videos is just too much. I know from judging last year, running it this year, and discussions with some judges that having that many videos can get overwhelming. Lets face it, there are always quite a few obvious jokes in the semi-finals of the VCA than could be discarded offhand, a certain user for most helpful pops to mind for example. How to limit videos to a more reasonable amount, that I don't have any ideas on. If there isn't a semi-final round next year that will solve the issue.

The other thing I would like to see is more cross site involvement. The JCA is an org centric event and uses videos from an org centric contest. However many members of Akross, .de, or the fench community are already represented on the org. You just have to look at how many Akross vids were in the VCA/JCA or how many awards Nostro took to see that. One possible idea is to split up the judges so that each community has one representative. I'm not saying nationalism is the key here, which is what got suggested last year, but rather internet communities. I dunno, maybe that wouldn't work since the contests are so org centric. If I do this next year it's something I'm willing to explore and consider though.

For those who like factoids:
Judges had the option of adding a video to the contest that they felt was deserving and wasn't in the VCA semi-finals. Two judges did so. Neither added video won.

There were 191 videos in the contest. I didn't add up total play time but it was over 9 hours.

There were 50 votes cast and counted over two days. Several more were sent to me after voting ended. Last year, IIRC, had a week voting and 112 votes cast. So considering the shortened voting period this year participation was rather good.

There were three tied categories, including one that had a four way tie. I served as tie breaker for those categories.

The most clear win was one category which had five judges with the same first choice, the sixth judge picked that for their second choice.

I have no intention of identifying which judge voted for what videos, what they thought of any video other than the comments I already posted in the winners thread, who said what comment, or even what categories were close or had run away winners. I don't want the drama. Don't bother asking.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:52 pm

godix wrote:I have no intention of identifying which judge voted for what videos, what they thought of any video other than the comments I already posted in the winners thread, who said what comment, or even what categories were close or had run away winners. I don't want the drama. Don't bother asking.
Can I ask which were the two videos that two of the judges decided to add for one category each? :?:

Return to “AMV Contests”