So most of you probably remember the JCA contest from last year. This year Koop is not able to do it. I rather liked the idea so with his permission I'm going to do it. Since this is me we're talking about I should point out this isn't a joke and I'll be treating it as seriously as Koop did.
As many of you know, currently the Viewer's Choice Awards are going on. The Judge's Choice Awards is a contest designed to complement the VCA's in order to provide a different viewpoint on the videos released within the past year. It is a separate contest and is in no way affiliated with the VCAs. To be perfectly clear, this is not an org hosted event but rather an event which Koop ran last year and I'm reviving this year.
The basis of the JCA is to have judges select the winners rather than the general public. The public's participation is still needed though since they will nominate the judges. I believe last years contest was successful and hopefully this years will be as well.
- The first part will be nominating potential judges. I will only accept nominations for OTHER people. Those who nominate themselves will be ignored unless someone else also nominated them.
- Once the nominations are over I will contact each person nominated and ask if they'd be willing to judge. Those who are willing will be voted on by the community. The five people with the most votes will be asked the judge.
- The pool of videos to be judged will be the VCA semi-finalists. Since not all videos were qualified for the VCAs judges will have the option of adding one video of their choice to any category. Each judge will view these videos and rank the top five in each category, assigning 5 points to the best down to 1. I then added up those points per category and, hopefully, post the winners right after the VCA results are announced.
- Judges will not allowed to vote in the categories they're nominated in.
- In the event of a tie I will act as a tie breaker, otherwise I will not be involved in the judging.
- The judges will remain anonymous during the voting process, it will be announced who they were once the results are posted.
- Judges will be asked to make a few brief comments on the videos they select. Some of those comments may be used publicly (EG, in the results thread) but will not be attributed. To address something that came up last year, I will not attribute any comments and will not release how individual judges voted. If the judges themselves choose to do that then they're certainly free to.
- People who served as judges last year will be eligible to serve this year if they wish (expect for myself obviously). For variety sake I would recommend you vote for different people though.
- There are no prizes other than bragging rights.
Judging - Judges will be asked to watch all choices and get their results to me by March 24th.
Winners announcement - I will announce the results shortly after the VCA results are announced.
If you have any questions or concerns about the JCA in general please post in this thread. Nominating judges and voting for judges will be done in other threads to prevent confusion.
The nomination thread
The voting thread