MikomiCon 08 AGMV Winners

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:40 pm

MieAga wrote:
Vlad G Pohnert wrote:I really don't agree with that logic what your saying seens to imply that video that win big or creators that are present SHOULD not really enter. This in many cases would result in very few entires and proably not a good contest... However we are getting off topic here all I conclude is that it' up to each contest to make up the rules as creators can always choose not to enter if they do not agree...

Congrats to the winners...

Vlad


It's common courtesy not to troll a video. That's what I had thought that MikomiCon was against as well. The comment about not letting winning videos be entered ruining the show. Well isn't that a mean statement? Judging the others as not good for not being the one 'lucky' enough to have won a few awards...is a bit short sighted.

And if I'd known that the judges were ok with, in fact purposely, changing their rules at the end of their contest to justify their decisions, I wouldn't have entered. It's unfair to play by the rules and then have the rules changed to benifit someone specifically. I can't even honestly call that a contest really.

All in all, good to know for the future.


I don’t' disagree that once the rules are in place, it's a good policy to change them midways or at the end... However, it is always possible to miss awards these days so if anything it might be a good idea to work into the rules something on the lines that all effort will be made to check for awards with no guarantees as rescinding awards sucks and only may hurt in back feedback as well... Hmmm... maybe a seperate discussion about this might be for the best.

Vlad

Vlad
User avatar
Vlad G Pohnert
 
Joined: 02 Jan 2001
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Postby dwchang » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:31 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:
MieAga wrote:
Vlad G Pohnert wrote:I really don't agree with that logic what your saying seens to imply that video that win big or creators that are present SHOULD not really enter. This in many cases would result in very few entires and proably not a good contest... However we are getting off topic here all I conclude is that it' up to each contest to make up the rules as creators can always choose not to enter if they do not agree...

Congrats to the winners...

Vlad


It's common courtesy not to troll a video. That's what I had thought that MikomiCon was against as well. The comment about not letting winning videos be entered ruining the show. Well isn't that a mean statement? Judging the others as not good for not being the one 'lucky' enough to have won a few awards...is a bit short sighted.

And if I'd known that the judges were ok with, in fact purposely, changing their rules at the end of their contest to justify their decisions, I wouldn't have entered. It's unfair to play by the rules and then have the rules changed to benifit someone specifically. I can't even honestly call that a contest really.

All in all, good to know for the future.


I don’t' disagree that once the rules are in place, it's a good policy to change them midways or at the end... However, it is always possible to miss awards these days so if anything it might be a good idea to work into the rules something on the lines that all effort will be made to check for awards with no guarantees as rescinding awards sucks and only may hurt in back feedback as well... Hmmm... maybe a seperate discussion about this might be for the best.

Vlad

Vlad


I think the reason folks are upset is b/c the rules got changed midway and no one was informed otherwise. I'm perfectly fine with letting contests figure out their own rules and if I disagree, I don't enter, but to disregard your own rules is a bit much.

Also this is me being a bit dickish, but it's been irking me a bit lately. There's trolling in the 'it violates the rules' and then there's TROLLING in the 'I'm going to submit to EVERY FREAKING CONTEST.'

Some videos this year (not necessarily only at this con) have been trolling contests for 6 or 7 months and 10+ contests. There's 'wanting to show your video at a few more places and getting exposure' and 'I WANT MOAR AWARDS AND AM THE BEST LOLOLOLOL.' But that's just *my* opinion and frankly everyone can do whatever the hell they want...however, that doesn't mean I won't frown upon your actions.

...this feels like 2002 all over again ;).
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space
User avatar
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
 
Joined: 04 Mar 2002
Location: Madison, WI

Postby Castor Troy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:05 am

dwchang wrote:...this feels like 2002 all over again ;).


:twisted:
Image
"Vlad, you will not get my new blockbuster video. Sorry bro." - Chemix800, Hollywood Editor
User avatar
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
 
Joined: 16 Jan 2001
Location: California
Status: Retired from AMVs

Postby dwchang » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:01 am

Castor Troy wrote:
dwchang wrote:...this feels like 2002 all over again ;).


:twisted:


I wondered if you'd see that hence the ;).
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space
User avatar
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
 
Joined: 04 Mar 2002
Location: Madison, WI

Postby Scintilla » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:56 am

dwchang wrote:Also this is me being a bit dickish, but it's been irking me a bit lately. There's trolling in the 'it violates the rules' and then there's TROLLING in the 'I'm going to submit to EVERY FREAKING CONTEST.'

Some videos this year (not necessarily only at this con) have been trolling contests for 6 or 7 months and 10+ contests.

Oh good, so I'm not the only one who noticed this.

I'm not going to name names, but some of the people I've noticed doing this *might* have an excuse because I don't think they've been on the con circuit for that long and they plausibly might not be familiar with common conventions regarding trolling... but others have been around too long not to know.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
User avatar
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
 
Joined: 31 Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Status: Quo

Postby CorpseGoddess » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:34 am

Scintilla wrote:
dwchang wrote:Also this is me being a bit dickish, but it's been irking me a bit lately. There's trolling in the 'it violates the rules' and then there's TROLLING in the 'I'm going to submit to EVERY FREAKING CONTEST.'

Some videos this year (not necessarily only at this con) have been trolling contests for 6 or 7 months and 10+ contests.

Oh good, so I'm not the only one who noticed this.

I'm not going to name names, but some of the people I've noticed doing this *might* have an excuse because I don't think they've been on the con circuit for that long and they plausibly might not be familiar with common conventions regarding trolling... but others have been around too long not to know.


Just out of curiosity, for someone who *is* new to submitting to cons (I've only been editing for 2 years now)...

...what exactly is considered trolling? Is it entering and getting into finals for lots of cons, or is it only considered trolling if you continue to submit a *winning* video?
Image
Image
User avatar
CorpseGoddess
 
Joined: 30 Jan 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Status: HEY GUYS

Postby dwchang » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:01 pm

Scintilla wrote:
dwchang wrote:Also this is me being a bit dickish, but it's been irking me a bit lately. There's trolling in the 'it violates the rules' and then there's TROLLING in the 'I'm going to submit to EVERY FREAKING CONTEST.'

Some videos this year (not necessarily only at this con) have been trolling contests for 6 or 7 months and 10+ contests.

Oh good, so I'm not the only one who noticed this.

I'm not going to name names, but some of the people I've noticed doing this *might* have an excuse because I don't think they've been on the con circuit for that long and they plausibly might not be familiar with common conventions regarding trolling... but others have been around too long not to know.


Yeah you're not the only one. I've noticed for months, but I generally only lurk the forums (i.e. I read things, but don't reply) since I don't like drama however like I said, it's just getting ridiculous now.

But yes, it's quite possible folks just don't know any better like Castor did in 2002 and are newer to the community, but that's not the case for everyone. I will however say again that people can do whatever they want (even troll) and I can't stop them if it makes them happy, but again I can sit back and frown upon and I imagine a number of people in the community do (i.e. lack of respect).

CorpseGoddess wrote:Just out of curiosity, for someone who *is* new to submitting to cons (I've only been editing for 2 years now)...

...what exactly is considered trolling? Is it entering and getting into finals for lots of cons, or is it only considered trolling if you continue to submit a *winning* video?


The latter. It's also not as concrete as something like "If your video wins 2 times, you shouldn't submit anymore" or anything like that. It's different for everyone and it's honestly up to the editor to be courteous and use common sense.

For example, I *usually* submit my video to one big convention I'm attending and one or two smaller contests that friends run or whose contest rules I like (i.e. Vlad). Regardless of the result, I retire it after that. Some retire after one win, two wins, etc.

However like I said earlier, some are just getting ridiculous where they've been submitting the same winning video since January or February of this year to 10+ contests. I think for most people, that crosses their threshold (even if we disagree on where that threshold is i.e. 1 win vs 2 wins etc?).

I guess in short, be courteous and use common sense ;).

Edit: Dang this really does feel like 2002...well without all the flames :P.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space
User avatar
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
 
Joined: 04 Mar 2002
Location: Madison, WI

Postby NightHawk » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:46 am

Hey, just read through the posts...

I understand what people are saying about the trolling. Honestly, I can say I was doing it. At the time, I didn't think it was that bad. I just thought I was giving my video more exposure. But that's over now. I only plan on submitting Be A Man to one more con, which I plan on attending.

When I contacted Raynovac about giving him my vid, I had no intentions of having it be in the contest. I knew of the "Previous Winner" rule and opted to have my vid shown as a non-entrant so I could at least see the reactions in person (best feeling ever). When he told me of the rule change and asked if I would like my vid to participate, I was happy so I of course accepted.

I actually planned on going to MikomiCon since it was so close, but time passed and I completely forgot about it (also I had to move that weekend, so I guess I had other things on my mind). I was really sad when I realized it had already passed.

My vid and my actions brought this along, so I apologize for any misunderstandings. I really hope this doesn't hinder anyone's thoughts or decisions on submitting to MikomiCon in future years. I do plan on attending next year since my friends had so much fun there and would love to see awesome AMV's be submitted.

Congrats to all of the other winners! I wish I could have seen your AMV's on the big screen.

I'm not that good at putting what I'm thinking down into words well, but I hope everyone understands what I was trying to say. Bleh.
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
NightHawk
 
Joined: 13 Sep 2005
Location: Long Beach, CA

Previous

Return to AMV Contests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron