Otakon 2008 AMV Contest Results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
makenocent
Org Profile

Post by makenocent » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:47 pm

VicBond007 wrote: I don't have a list written up of all 97 videos that were in the overflow. Some videos in overflow were indeed superfreakinawesome but violated the troll clause and thus could not compete. The Fate/Stay video was Fate/Stay Inferno by Avalon Blade Works.
Thank you so much! I was trying to find that amv. It was really awesome. Too bad it wasn't in the contest. Anyone know the GTO one that was in the amv overflow?

MeriC
Org Profile

Post by MeriC » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:58 pm

ArashinomeAMV wrote:I wanna see Meri's video D:
Me too!

I mean, I'll have it up sometime over the next few days. Still need to make distro encodes. :cry: (shoulda done that before the con)
New AMVs: DQCF+P (various Street Fighter) | One Guitar (BECK) | Please Don't Make Me Cry (Paradise Kiss)

SecondChild
Org Profile

Post by SecondChild » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:05 pm

MeriC wrote:
ArashinomeAMV wrote:I wanna see Meri's video D:
Me too!

I mean, I'll have it up sometime over the next few days. Still need to make distro encodes. :cry: (shoulda done that before the con)
Hehe, cool, I can't wait to watch it again. Great vid, Meri, it made me want to watch Beck AND pick up my guitar! =)
"Take the mask off from your head/You don't know where you're being lead."

- Aaron B. (TSC)

HatPerson
Org Profile

Post by HatPerson » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:24 pm

I don't recall ever making a post here but I'm just gunna put my 2 cents in on the trailer thing.

I'll admit to being pissed most of the weekend, getting into the finals only to not have my trailer seen (I did the Akira one). I had a feeling that the legal details would be fleshed out after the con was over and I understand how legal mumbo jumbo can get in the way, it's just unfortunate and the timing was terrible.

It was a wonder to get into the finals this being the second AMV I ever made and I've gotten around to filling out a little bit of my profile and making the proper uploads. Let's just make sure to triple check with the lawyers next year.

-Reda-
Org Profile

Post by -Reda- » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:38 pm

Double post deleted....why did it do it twice and a few hours apart at that? Weirdness...
Last edited by -Reda- on Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rinny
Org Profile

Post by Rinny » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:47 pm

Brakus wrote: I liked how my entry kinda "stuck out" amongst the other entries in my video, with the sharp contrast of one "old-school anime" video going up against six relatively newer school anime videos. Afro Samurai, Baccano!, Code Geass, Gundam 00, Appleseed, FLCL.... and then DBZ?
Are you gonna upload yours soon? I loved it and voted for it.

Rinny
Org Profile

Post by Rinny » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:54 pm

SecondChild wrote:Well I didn't expect to win anything, I was happy just to make the cut as a finalist! I did notice that the timing on my vid (Sex and Violence - FLCL/Firewater) seemed to be lagging by almost a full 16th note (this is not the case in the video I exported), I don't know if that happened because I encoded in Quicktime and it was then re-encoded upon reaching Otakon or what... does anyone know the best format to submit in? This was my first time. =0
They were definitely re-encoded, because I sent mine in in 16:9 and it came out in 4:3. It was lagging a little, too. I'm not sure what can be done about that.
SecondChild wrote: I thought Break the Chain was brilliant, but I must admit, I voted for "One Guitar". I hate hate HATE 80's hair metal, so any video that can make me like a Foreigner song is frikking AWESOME. xD
....I agree with you about One Guitar XDDD I thought it was awesome and more original than mine, frankly. I'd have voted for it, but I avoided voting in the category for the sake of fairness.

Jurodan
Org Profile

Post by Jurodan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:07 pm

I'm really hoping to find Fast Times at Furinkan High. I saw the AMVs at Otakon, and, frankly, I found it hillarious. I missed all but the last three of the Drama/Serious videos, so when I voted, I went for Break The Chain, which impressed me. And I loathe Death Note, to the point I didn't want to watch the AMV in the first place.

Baccano Swing impressed me so much that I'm actually looking for the series.

And I was wondering what happened to the Trailer/Parody section when I first heard about it, but yes, that does blow.

Comedy... I watched Yuri The Only One and somehow, I just felt somewhat cheap. I mean, I LIKED the song, but it just seems to tailor something like that to the crowd? I mean, maybe my opinion doesn't matter, but it just seemed... off. Anyone else think that?

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:58 pm

Also, and I just remembered this: you can hold this contest up as evidence that <b>effectsless videos are NOT dead</b>, even in fan-voted contests. You will appreciate that the winners in Drama, Action, and Romance were all just cuts and fades (well, at least I <i>think</i> all the effects in Rinny's vid were already in the footage).
Rinny wrote:
SecondChild wrote:Well I didn't expect to win anything, I was happy just to make the cut as a finalist! I did notice that the timing on my vid (Sex and Violence - FLCL/Firewater) seemed to be lagging by almost a full 16th note (this is not the case in the video I exported), I don't know if that happened because I encoded in Quicktime and it was then re-encoded upon reaching Otakon or what... does anyone know the best format to submit in? This was my first time. =0
They were definitely re-encoded, because I sent mine in in 16:9 and it came out in 4:3. It was lagging a little, too. I'm not sure what can be done about that.
That may have been just a playback issue rather than a re-encode:
The Rules wrote:Please encode your video for 4:3 playback. This includes letterboxing widescreen footage ahead of time. Videos flagged as 16:9 will be screened improperly. We will letterbox what we can, but Otakon makes no guarantees that we will catch everything.
Last edited by Scintilla on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Bad Omen
Org Profile

Post by Bad Omen » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:36 pm

Hey guys, n00b here!

Congratulations to all the winners, there were so many fantastic videos!

I'll be posting mine at some point, as soon as I figure out where I saved it to...(heh whoops).

Return to “AMV Contests”