A-Kon 19 VSE: WINNERS!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
jade_eyed_angel
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Re: Was anyone else a little...dissappointed?

Post by jade_eyed_angel » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:39 am

Empath wrote:crap
dude. u fail at life. stop whining.
the category divisions aren't to cut out comedy. people just failed to send good ones.
O;

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:54 am

We brought up category issues to the coordinators (in a non bitter sort of way) at the con... and from a competitive point of view grouping the categories they way they did makes no sense. (At least thats how I felt about it until I talked to the coordinators myself about them.)

And I'm not talking just upbeat/comedy because even with drama/romance, people can make upbeat romances such as Love Rush and they don't really in any way fit with or compare to such things as Waiting for Death, the two videos are drastically different and just really don't "fit" in the same category.

However after talking to the coordinators we learned that the videos were not judged on how well they fit into the categories but on how well they were made/scored, the categories were just there to give the chance of giving out a few more awards... They could drop off all the categories all together and just give best in show and a runner up if they really wanted, but they want to have the chance to give back more to people who contribute to the contests.

The contest results were rather interesting this year, but they always seem rather "odd" to me every year, and that is why I enjoy participating in the contest. I like seeing the random results every year even if I don't agree with the results (or even if my videos were cut, or if I don't win).

They don't claim the contest to be "perfect" or "better" than other contests, from what I can tell this contest is just different. Just as Anime Central has it's own way of judging their contest, and just as Anime Weekend Atlanta has it's own ways as well.

Perhaps instead of being bitter and angsting on the forums, you should try, you know, discussing such things with the coordinators in a level headed sort of way and listen to their point of view as well... If you really want people to listen to your concerns, talking and discussing things goes a lot farther than getting mad and "yelling" about it on an online forum.
Last edited by JaddziaDax on Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:25 am

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Naurto Shorts 3 was cut? amiright?

And if my effects in Action melted your face off, then you have a very low tolerance level (Simple 4 point masks) and some other stuffz... :roll:

And Katie is right, the results always have a few "out of left field" winners and losers. I thought for certain Chii had Fan Fav. :P However, you can sing to Code Monkey (right Rina).

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:49 am

actually after crowd reaction I thought Jubber's latest video would have Fan Favorite, but the coordinators said that there were a whole lot of close calls.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:31 am

JaddziaDax wrote:they were uh... kinda quiet during your video... but they clapped afterwards but they clapped after every video O.o
:lol:

Was it me, or did the pre-voting and post-voting master lists look exactly the same? Did every vid entered into experts get into it?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Ashnak
Org Profile

Post by Ashnak » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:22 am

Not everyone did...from what the directorman said at the con that they cut like half the videos going in.

Empath
Org Profile

You guys don't read, do you?

Post by Empath » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:06 pm

Okay, since most of you seemed to be like: tl;dr, I will address you individually, and then make my points more clear.

@ jade_eye_angle: Your completely wrong, there were several great comedy videos that were entered, but all were cut. After the master list was posted, me and a friend went about to see the videos that were submitted because we wanted to see what was competing before the contest happened. It wasn't a matter of people not submitting, it was a matter of how the judge "felt" that day. Last part of that came directly from the Video Director's mouth.

@ JudgeHolden: Yes I had a hand in Naruto Shorts 3, however, that is not what my rant was about, and it was also not even about my studio's videos getting played. I would have been perfectly content with the Comedy catagory if there were more Comedy videos in the Comedy catagory. Hell, they could have banned Naruto Shorts 3 from the con permanetly without a care from me as long as they had a few videos that were way funnier. But no, the polluted the catagory most con-goers come to see. And yes, I might need some face protection when viewing your videos next time. Your effects are amazing, and I was orange gooing all over my friends. Not to say it wasn't a bad experience though.

@ JaddziaDax: I actually did talk to the Video Director directly, as well as a few others, in a very level headed matter. The reason I ranted afterwards is because they felt that they did absolutely no wrong. Even after we pointed out the small flood of Drama that found it's way into Comedy, and noted the rather large amount of people who were leaving or heckling, everyone seemed to take the stance of "Well, it's just how the judges felt that day. And we aren't here to appease anyone but ourselves." I mean, why even have catagories at that point. Why not just say "Hey, this is what these 7-9 people thought was awesome. Everything else was trash to them. Good day."

@ Everyone: Okay, I will now take what I said earlier and try to make it more pleasing to read for yah guys. First off, why bother even having catagories when your going to let one completely dominate over the other two? Yes I know there was a lot of Drama submitted, but there were a lot of Action and Comedy video that got cut so the judges could give us more than 1 1/2 hour of Drama, a lot of which was neither amazing, nor entertaining. (Sorry, just my opinion there.) And the worst part is having more Drama bleed into other catagories.

So I ask again, why have catagories when you don't even try to sort the videos into the catagories they obviously should be in. Why? This is another quote taken from the VD's mouth: "Well some editors are pre-maddonna's (sp?) with their videos, so we find it easier to just let them submit to which ever catagory they submit to, and let it play out." Okay, I get it, the staff doesn't have the balls to tell people that their Drama video they submitted to Comedy is being moved to Drama. Yeah, cause then it's completely fair that Comedy videos are being cut because not only did you NOT move the Drama video into the proper catagory, but some how the judges thought it made a better Comedy/Fun video than a real Comedy/Fun video. Are you people getting this? Basically A-kon is saying that an Action video could win Drama. A Comedy/Fun video could win Action. And a Drama video could win Comedy/Fun. WHY EVEN HAVE CATAGORIES?

In my earlier, more rage filled post I gave a way to fix this, but most readers seem to stop reading once they think that I am just angry about my video not getting play. Again, I don't care if I, as an individual (not speaking for the whole studio), NEVER gets played at A-kon. What pissed me off is that they don't seem to know how to sort catagories. They don't know how to keep Drama in Drama. I know there are videos that are polar opposites but belong in the same catagories. But an Action video is still and Action video. A Drama video is still a Drama video. And Comedy/Fun is still Comedy/Fun. Don't put up catagories if you can't keep videos where they belong. And even more so, don't have catagoies if your going to let one catagory just dominate completely over the other two. Action was over way too soon, and Comedy/Fun should have just been renamed Drama-2 with how things went.

If you guys wanna keep sitting here and ignoring the facts that the judges and VD messed up their own contest, go for it. It's their contest and their is nothing I can do about the out come. The purpose of these post wasn't to try to change their decission about what went down this year anyways. The purpose was to let people see what we can do to improve upon Judged contest. To make them more balanced and fair. But if you think it's fair that a mass of Action and Comedy videos got cut because Drama videos weren't being moved, or you agree that judges should vote with a pre-set bias, then I guess these words will fall on deaf ears. I am not sure how much more I can make the points clear, so I am just going to leave things here.. Take it or leave it, I still stand by my opinion that they dropped the ball this year. Not a set in stone fact, just an opinion.

Chiikaboom
memes
Org Profile

Post by Chiikaboom » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:24 pm

Despite all the drama that appears to be going on in the thread... congrats to all the winners :3
Image ImageImage

Empath
Org Profile

Post by Empath » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:26 pm

Chiikaboom wrote:Despite all the drama that appears to be going on in the thread... congrats to all the winners :3
Well, that's one thing I can agree upon, and apologize for not starting with. Congrats to all the winners. Those of you who won did indeed make some great vids this year.

Tai Naito
Org Profile

Post by Tai Naito » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:34 pm

It sounds to me like the judges made some poor organizational skills in the one contest. I will say that Hentai night was amazing, so I can't say that all the contests were unorganized (well, Hentai Night was crazy, so I don't know how well that comment stands, but it was a very good crazy), but it is sad that so many people were left dissatisfied with the one (I saw how many people were leaving the contest Empath talks about while waiting for friends, and it was a lot).

I can't remember the name of the video, but the runner-up of Hentai night was amazing O.O It was the second video played, and was very well edited. OMG was just crazy funny (if not horribly wrong), and I think the entire audience had fun with it.

Sadly I did not see any other of the contests, but I'd like to congratulate everyone for their winning.

Return to “AMV Contests”