Finalists for Anime Expo Anime Music Video Contest 2008

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

Postby DigitalPanther » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:17 pm

MisterFurious wrote:So, does anyone know yet when the AMV awards are? If previous years are any precedent, it'll be Sunday morning, but the schedule still shows nothing.

Any ideas? My wife has to go to a family function on Sunday, and I would prefer to go with her, if I could.....


Hi All,

I have been trying to get a re-show scheduled which would be when we would do the awards. Doesn't look like its happening. I also tried for the Do it as part of Masq half time. Also a no go.
So at this point I need to talk to Nic as see if its ok if we do it during AMV 102 Panel. We could probably show the winners and give out the awards.
Ideas, concepts? Input?
-DP
User avatar
DigitalPanther
 
Joined: 23 Jan 2001

Postby MisterFurious » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:36 pm

DigitalPanther wrote:So at this point I need to talk to Nic as see if its ok if we do it during AMV 102 Panel. We could probably show the winners and give out the awards.
Ideas, concepts? Input?
-DP


Isn't that panel the day after the contest? Would that be enough time to count all the ballots?
Last edited by MisterFurious on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
MisterFurious
 
Joined: 23 Sep 2001
Location: Sylmar, CA

Postby DigitalPanther » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:08 pm

MisterFurious wrote:Isn't that panel the day after the contest? Would that be enough time to count all the ballots?


Presuming the system we have set up works (the unit arrives today or tomorrow) it should be plenty of time. Scantron ftw. Yes I am sorry. You will have to have your little highschool flashback. this year we are testing it then if it works we will acutally buy a machine and make custom ballot sheets rather than the generic ones for next year.
Way beter than hand balloting and Light years better than the sound meter.
-DP
User avatar
DigitalPanther
 
Joined: 23 Jan 2001

Postby Castor Troy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:16 pm

DigitalPanther wrote:
MisterFurious wrote:Isn't that panel the day after the contest? Would that be enough time to count all the ballots?


Presuming the system we have set up works (the unit arrives today or tomorrow) it should be plenty of time. Scantron ftw. Yes I am sorry. You will have to have your little highschool flashback. this year we are testing it then if it works we will acutally buy a machine and make custom ballot sheets rather than the generic ones for next year.
Way beter than hand balloting and Light years better than the sound meter.
-DP


Oh man, I better study since I'm terrible at scantron tests... :P
Image
"Vlad, you will not get my new blockbuster video. Sorry bro." - Chemix800, Hollywood Editor
User avatar
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
 
Joined: 16 Jan 2001
Location: California
Status: Retired from AMVs

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:23 pm

Wow if this keeps up, I'll have to look at entring into the contest once again at AX :D

Vlad
User avatar
Vlad G Pohnert
 
Joined: 02 Jan 2001
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Postby The Wired Knight » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:31 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
DigitalPanther wrote:
MisterFurious wrote:Isn't that panel the day after the contest? Would that be enough time to count all the ballots?


Presuming the system we have set up works (the unit arrives today or tomorrow) it should be plenty of time. Scantron ftw. Yes I am sorry. You will have to have your little highschool flashback. this year we are testing it then if it works we will acutally buy a machine and make custom ballot sheets rather than the generic ones for next year.
Way beter than hand balloting and Light years better than the sound meter.
-DP


Oh man, I better study since I'm terrible at scantron tests... :P


Just draw erotic pictures on it like everyone else tends to do in high school. Just see who wins if everyone does that.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.
User avatar
The Wired Knight
 
Joined: 07 Jan 2001
Location: Right next door to you
Status: Attorney At Law

Postby MisterFurious » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:40 am

DigitalPanther wrote:Presuming the system we have set up works (the unit arrives today or tomorrow) it should be plenty of time. Scantron ftw. Yes I am sorry. You will have to have your little highschool flashback. this year we are testing it then if it works we will acutally buy a machine and make custom ballot sheets rather than the generic ones for next year.
Way beter than hand balloting and Light years better than the sound meter.
-DP


Uh oh, I sense problems. You're going to use a generic scantron form? The one that just has numbers and A-E answers? That's fine and dandy for a multiple choice test, but this is a ballot for a contest. There is going to be so much confusion over how you fill in the form for each category, how you choose the winner, etc.

More importantly, how will you choose audience best-of-show? It would not be right to simply give that award to the video that has the most votes in its category, as all that determines is which video most easily won its category, not necessarily the audience's favorite. The only way to fairly use the scantron form to determine that award is to set aside one line for each of the videos, then tell the audience to only put a mark on the line corresponding to the video that is their choice for best-of-show.

You're going to have your hands full drafting instructions for how to vote with the scantron. It'll probably have to be a separate sheet handed out with the forms. People aren't going to like it...

If only you had had time to come up with a custom scantron ballot....
User avatar
MisterFurious
 
Joined: 23 Sep 2001
Location: Sylmar, CA

Postby Rider4Z » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:48 am

DigitalPanther wrote:
MisterFurious wrote:So, does anyone know yet when the AMV awards are? If previous years are any precedent, it'll be Sunday morning, but the schedule still shows nothing.

Any ideas? My wife has to go to a family function on Sunday, and I would prefer to go with her, if I could.....


Hi All,

I have been trying to get a re-show scheduled which would be when we would do the awards. Doesn't look like its happening. I also tried for the Do it as part of Masq half time. Also a no go.
So at this point I need to talk to Nic as see if its ok if we do it during AMV 102 Panel. We could probably show the winners and give out the awards.
Ideas, concepts? Input?
-DP

crappola. shouldn't AX automatically reserve a time and place for the awards ceremony of arguably the biggest contest of the entire convention? :roll:
Image Image
Image Image
Anime Conji AMV Contest Coordinator
Anime Vegas AMV Contest Co-coordinator
User avatar
Rider4Z
Pirate King
 
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Location: Your pants
Status: ppbbbbbbbbbb~

Postby The Wired Knight » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:40 pm

The giant scantrons (on 8 1/2 x 11 paper) would probably suffice but I doubt these are what is being used.

The only way I see it working is this:


Since seven videos are in each catagory you have to have them all A-E + AB and AC. Hopefully that should be clear enough to everyone but will need an individual sheet attached to remind them which video is which. I guess it could be put onscreen as well after the video too but still tough.

For best of show I guess you have to have A-E + AB-AE + BC-BE + CD-CE + DE + ABC-ABE + BCD-BCE + CDE + ABCD-ABCE + BCDE + ABCDE

Of course those are the only 25 possible combinations and there are 28 videos and that system is REALLY convoluted.

The other problem I see is scantrons are prone to poor pencilmarks. Meaning people will not exactly have a place to put notes for which videos were which as they've watched them; which to my experience they need to do in order to recall everything for a vote.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.
User avatar
The Wired Knight
 
Joined: 07 Jan 2001
Location: Right next door to you
Status: Attorney At Law

Postby anneke » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Scantron is a great way to go.

Video 1 = Question 1

Answer A - Voting for this video NO
Answer B - Voting for this video Yes (Best of Category)
Answer C - Voting for this video Best of show
Answer D - Voting for this video Best of show & Best of Category.

It's as simple as that.

The problem is in 'grading' the ballots. I don't know if the machine will spit out what people voted for or not.

-Anneke
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)
User avatar
anneke
 
Joined: 06 Apr 2001
Location: California

Postby Rider4Z » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:31 pm

anneke wrote:Video 1 = Question 1

Answer A - Voting for this video NO
Answer B - Voting for this video Yes (Best of Category)
Answer C - Voting for this video Best of show
Answer D - Voting for this video Best of show & Best of Category.

It's as simple as that.
-Anneke

*crossing fingers* i think i got it...
Image Image
Image Image
Anime Conji AMV Contest Coordinator
Anime Vegas AMV Contest Co-coordinator
User avatar
Rider4Z
Pirate King
 
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Location: Your pants
Status: ppbbbbbbbbbb~

Postby Castor Troy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:54 pm

When it's "all the above", that's always the right answer.
Image
"Vlad, you will not get my new blockbuster video. Sorry bro." - Chemix800, Hollywood Editor
User avatar
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
 
Joined: 16 Jan 2001
Location: California
Status: Retired from AMVs

Postby DigitalPanther » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:55 pm

7 finalists per category.
1-7 action
11-17 Drama
21-27 Comedy
31-37 Pro
Best of show. 91-94

I realize it is not the best of methods for this time around. this is a test and , due to a variety of interferences some my fault, some not, we weren't able to get the machines back in march when Anneke and I started the research.

I was more focused on getting the discs done and and prepped on time and such. It almost fell through the cracks. I apologize.

I have formated the recaps so the number for the video is clearly shown.
Ex:
BALLOT #:
[ 2 ]

as a very visible bug in the lower right corner during the recap segment.

If this works we will be purchasing a machine that we can make custom sheets for and making more effective forms. This year, we doing the best we can with what we have.

-DP
User avatar
DigitalPanther
 
Joined: 23 Jan 2001

Postby DigitalPanther » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:56 pm

MisterFurious wrote:
DigitalPanther wrote:Presuming the system we have set up works (the unit arrives today or tomorrow) it should be plenty of time. Scantron ftw. Yes I am sorry. You will have to have your little highschool flashback. this year we are testing it then if it works we will acutally buy a machine and make custom ballot sheets rather than the generic ones for next year.
Way beter than hand balloting and Light years better than the sound meter.
-DP


Uh oh, I sense problems. You're going to use a generic scantron form? The one that just has numbers and A-E answers? That's fine and dandy for a multiple choice test, but this is a ballot for a contest. There is going to be so much confusion over how you fill in the form for each category, how you choose the winner, etc.

More importantly, how will you choose audience best-of-show? It would not be right to simply give that award to the video that has the most votes in its category, as all that determines is which video most easily won its category, not necessarily the audience's favorite. The only way to fairly use the scantron form to determine that award is to set aside one line for each of the videos, then tell the audience to only put a mark on the line corresponding to the video that is their choice for best-of-show.

You're going to have your hands full drafting instructions for how to vote with the scantron. It'll probably have to be a separate sheet handed out with the forms. People aren't going to like it...

If only you had had time to come up with a custom scantron ballot....


its numbered 1 - 100 in 20 lines 5 bubbles each. It has a ballot mode so it will count vs grade right against wrong. See previous post for methodology in numbering used.
-DP
User avatar
DigitalPanther
 
Joined: 23 Jan 2001

Postby DigitalPanther » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:57 pm

anneke wrote:Scantron is a great way to go.

Video 1 = Question 1

Answer A - Voting for this video NO
Answer B - Voting for this video Yes (Best of Category)
Answer C - Voting for this video Best of show
Answer D - Voting for this video Best of show & Best of Category.

It's as simple as that.

The problem is in 'grading' the ballots. I don't know if the machine will spit out what people voted for or not.

-Anneke


Our original idea was something similar to that. unfortunately there are only 20 lines on the form and 28 entries.
-DP
User avatar
DigitalPanther
 
Joined: 23 Jan 2001

PreviousNext

Return to AMV Contests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests