Finalists for Anime Expo Anime Music Video Contest 2008

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

Postby DigitalPanther » Sat May 31, 2008 2:30 am

Scintilla wrote:
DigitalPanther wrote:<b>Tim's</b> "Right Now" video was a direct parody of the original Van Halen Video of the same name. Right down to style and re-purposing some of the original text (Science building a better tomato comes to mind)

Fixed.

Tims? DOH!!!
I apologize. I thought it was one of Brad's. My deep apologies.
I fixed it.
-DP
Last edited by DigitalPanther on Sat May 31, 2008 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
DigitalPanther

Postby MisterFurious » Sat May 31, 2008 2:33 am

DigitalPanther wrote:I thought it was one of Brad's.

That is one of the finest compliments ever paid to me...
MisterFurious

Postby DigitalPanther » Sat May 31, 2008 2:34 am

xstylus wrote:
s0matic wrote:
Sephiroth wrote:I just wish that pixel aspect ratio would actually get written to my files, just realized that didn't get through on my vid export. TO which i have to say whoever is responsible for PAR not reading over in an export when set please die in a fire.

To be fair, what file container did you use? MP4 and MKV can do this just fine. However, if you submitted an .avi file like I did, I just manually did the resizing myself just in case, as IIRC, .avi files don't natively support PAR/DAR in the file header.

I know there's several container formats that will support anamorphic mode, but at some point the file will need to be rendered out of that container and into MPEG2 format for DVD.

My recommendation is to basically edit your video like normal, and when you're done, shove it into VirtualDub and resize the video to 720x406 with letterboxing added to make it full 720x480. Then export your video to HuffYUV or MainConcept DV format and we'll take it from there.

Alot of programs also have the option to "maintain aspect ratio" (that is what it was called in Premiere) which I use religiously. This automatically applied appropriate letter boxing in the timeline.

-DP
DigitalPanther

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Sat May 31, 2008 3:22 am

MisterFurious wrote:
The Wired Knight wrote:So you think 8-)

But I know I'm not Tim Park....

Your right.. and I think he's even younger then you :P

Vlad
Vlad G Pohnert

Postby Sephiroth » Sat May 31, 2008 4:21 am

DigitalPanther wrote:
Alot of programs also have the option to "maintain aspect ratio" (that is what it was called in Premiere) which I use religiously. This automatically applied appropriate letter boxing in the timeline.

-DP

i know, hence the i feel silly. Its a very simple thing to overlook which i did.
Sephiroth

Postby MisterFurious » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:47 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:and I think he's even younger then you :P

Really? I wouldn't know. I don't make it a point to keep track of the ages of AMV creators......
MisterFurious

Postby DigitalPanther » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:41 am

I apologize deeply for the delay but all notifications to finalists are out as of this evening.
Thank you for your patience.
-DP
DigitalPanther

Postby XStylus » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:52 pm

I went on a tour of the Nokia auditorium that the AMV contest will be playing in.

I walked in, took a good look, and I was totally mesmerized. I just wanted to stand there and stare. Ohhhhhhh my goddddddddd is it NICE.

I really wish I had gotten off my lazy ass and entered something now. ^^;;;

The equipment they have in there is absolutely staggering, too. Totally broadcast HD quality.
XStylus

Postby dust » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:56 am

Sorry, this is my first contest entry so I'd like to make sure what I'm interpreting this correctly.

Those who submitted and were not DQ'd (or work at Dairy Queen) can pick up their creator tickets at the AMV 101 Panel at 2PM Thursday, correct?

Also, don’t trust anyone with cake, 'got that part.
Last edited by dust on Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dust

Postby Kazemon15 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:14 am

dust wrote:Sorry, this is my first contest entry so I'd like to make sure what I'm interpreting this correctly.

Those who submitted and were not DQ'd (or work at Dairy Queen) can pick up their creator tickets at the AMV 101 Panel at 2PM Friday, correct?

Also, don’t trust anyone with cake, 'got that part.

Wait....if the contest is on Thursday, why are we picking them up on Friday? O_o
Currently replaying/recording: Tales of Vesperia (Xbox360) and Tales of Graces F (PS3)
ImageImage<-- Now available
Kazemon15

Postby KagatoAMV » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:19 am

Kazemon15 wrote:Wait....if the contest is on Thursday, why are we picking them up on Friday? O_o

We've got two workshops this year, the second will continue topics we couldn't finish day 1, plus talk about the contest.

AMV 101 is Thursday from 2pm-3pm in LP4 (LACC411)

AMV 102 is Friday from 1:30pm-3pm in LP4 (LACC411)

The tickets will be distributed at the first workshop on Thursday.
"Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."
KagatoAMV
Studio Hybrid

Postby dust » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:15 pm

Studio Hybrid wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:Wait....if the contest is on Thursday, why are we picking them up on Friday? O_o

We've got two workshops this year, the second will continue topics we couldn't finish day 1, plus talk about the contest.

Thanks. I don't know why I thought the first day was Friday...

btw: I still have your '03 VCD from the panel. 'looking forward to the panel.
Last edited by dust on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dust

Postby Castor Troy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:48 pm

dust wrote:
Studio Hybrid wrote:

Thanks. I don't know why I thought the first day was Friday...

It's only been the first day of the con for the past few years. :P
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E

Postby Rider4Z » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:49 pm

i have never been. last year it was the same time as the idol auditions and i got there too late. i think before that i didn't even hear about it.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Anime Conji AMV Contest Coordinator
Anime Vegas AMV Contest Co-coordinator
Rider4Z
Pirate King

Postby MisterFurious » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:07 pm

So, does anyone know yet when the AMV awards are? If previous years are any precedent, it'll be Sunday morning, but the schedule still shows nothing.

Any ideas? My wife has to go to a family function on Sunday, and I would prefer to go with her, if I could.....
MisterFurious

PreviousNext

Return to AMV Contests