Finalists for Anime Expo Anime Music Video Contest 2008

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
MisterFurious
Org Profile

Post by MisterFurious » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:21 pm

DigitalPanther wrote:7 finalists per category.
1-7 action
11-17 Drama
21-27 Comedy
31-37 Pro
Best of show. 91-94

I realize it is not the best of methods for this time around. this is a test and , due to a variety of interferences some my fault, some not, we weren't able to get the machines back in march when Anneke and I started the research.

I was more focused on getting the discs done and and prepped on time and such. It almost fell through the cracks. I apologize.

I have formated the recaps so the number for the video is clearly shown.
Ex:
BALLOT #:
[ 2 ]

as a very visible bug in the lower right corner during the recap segment.

If this works we will be purchasing a machine that we can make custom sheets for and making more effective forms. This year, we doing the best we can with what we have.

-DP
I think I understand, although you're locking the audience into voting for ONLY the category winners as best-of-show. It has happened in past contests (though not at AX as long as I can remember) that the best-of-show winner wasn't necessarily the winner in its category.

Ladies and gentlemen of the AMV community....I'm just a caveman! Your modern world scares and confuses me. When I hear all your talk of scantron forms and balloting I just want to run away - to my house in Malibu.

MisterFurious
Org Profile

Post by MisterFurious » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:27 pm

DigitalPanther wrote:its numbered 1 - 100 in 20 lines 5 bubbles each. It has a ballot mode so it will count vs grade right against wrong. See previous post for methodology in numbering used.
-DP
5 bubbles each? So how do the attendees know which one of the five to fill in for the video they're voting for? Will a vote count if they fill in the wrong bubble for their video?

And will we count hanging chads?

DigitalPanther
Org Profile

Post by DigitalPanther » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:04 am

MisterFurious wrote:
DigitalPanther wrote:its numbered 1 - 100 in 20 lines 5 bubbles each. It has a ballot mode so it will count vs grade right against wrong. See previous post for methodology in numbering used.
-DP
5 bubbles each? So how do the attendees know which one of the five to fill in for the video they're voting for? Will a vote count if they fill in the wrong bubble for their video?

And will we count hanging chads?
Please refer to my previous post.
The category recaps will show the ballot number for the video in question.
-Michael

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:27 am

MisterFurious wrote:
DigitalPanther wrote:7 finalists per category.
1-7 action
11-17 Drama
21-27 Comedy
31-37 Pro
Best of show. 91-94

I realize it is not the best of methods for this time around. this is a test and , due to a variety of interferences some my fault, some not, we weren't able to get the machines back in march when Anneke and I started the research.

I was more focused on getting the discs done and and prepped on time and such. It almost fell through the cracks. I apologize.

I have formated the recaps so the number for the video is clearly shown.
Ex:
BALLOT #:
[ 2 ]

as a very visible bug in the lower right corner during the recap segment.

If this works we will be purchasing a machine that we can make custom sheets for and making more effective forms. This year, we doing the best we can with what we have.

-DP
I think I understand, although you're locking the audience into voting for ONLY the category winners as best-of-show. It has happened in past contests (though not at AX as long as I can remember) that the best-of-show winner wasn't necessarily the winner in its category.

Ladies and gentlemen of the AMV community....I'm just a caveman! Your modern world scares and confuses me. When I hear all your talk of scantron forms and balloting I just want to run away - to my house in Malibu.
Actually I want to say that it has happened, I believe it did sometime around 2003 that the Best in Show was not in fact the winner of its best in catagory, I could be wrong on this but I'm fairly certain it did happen at AX within recent years.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

anneke
Org Profile

Post by anneke » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:02 am

Only a 20 question ballot...

Question 1 & 2 (Action)
Question 1
A - Video 1
B - Video 2
C - Video 3
D - Video 4
E - Video 5

Question 2
A - Video 6
B - Video 7

Ofcourse it would seem that instead of letters the bubbles are numbered.

I HIGHLY recommend that there be instructions shown on the screens, before and after (and even during) the contest to make sure people understand how to judge/use the ballots.

If you can't scan the ballot into the computer to then edit a demo, you could find a picture of a scantron on-line I'm sure. You don't have much time but a little video/power point to explain to everyone how to judge/use the ballots would be wonderful.

-Anneke
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)

Hofuzz
Org Profile

sorry to bring this up again..

Post by Hofuzz » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:50 pm

umm from what I gathered from earlier posts, if we can't make it to the AMV 101 Panel to pick up our creator tickets, do we try to ask for you at the Nokia Theater some time after that?

And was it two tickets per entry form/group, rather than 2 tickets per group member like before?

Just wanted to make sure, thanks!
Hofuzz
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"

DigitalPanther
Org Profile

Re: sorry to bring this up again..

Post by DigitalPanther » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:47 am

Hofuzz wrote:umm from what I gathered from earlier posts, if we can't make it to the AMV 101 Panel to pick up our creator tickets, do we try to ask for you at the Nokia Theater some time after that?

And was it two tickets per entry form/group, rather than 2 tickets per group member like before?

Just wanted to make sure, thanks!
Hofuzz
two tickets per-form. I was unaware of it being two per group member previously.
In order to make special arrangement for your tix you would need to have contacted me previously (like last week or earlier) to make alternate arrangements. One creator has already done so.
-DP
P.S.
It was great to finally see you all at the dinner this evening. Thanks for welcoming myself and Anneke we had a great time and look forward to attending them in the future.

DigitalPanther
Org Profile

Post by DigitalPanther » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:50 am

anneke wrote:Only a 20 question ballot...

Question 1 & 2 (Action)
Question 1
A - Video 1
B - Video 2
C - Video 3
D - Video 4
E - Video 5

Question 2
A - Video 6
B - Video 7

Ofcourse it would seem that instead of letters the bubbles are numbered.

I HIGHLY recommend that there be instructions shown on the screens, before and after (and even during) the contest to make sure people understand how to judge/use the ballots.

If you can't scan the ballot into the computer to then edit a demo, you could find a picture of a scantron on-line I'm sure. You don't have much time but a little video/power point to explain to everyone how to judge/use the ballots would be wonderful.

-Anneke
You have more or less described my methodology only using letters not numbers. :)

Its all kinda moot now anyway. The machine didn't arrive. We have an alternate plan in place that will work as well...just a little labor intensive. But it also addresses they "What if best in show isn't best in category." (a concept that doesn't seem logical but is feasible I supppose.

-DP

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:17 am

Well, I just got back from the contest and here's how it went...
Spoiler :
It actually started on time for the first time since 2001

Results will be posted tomorrow..
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:27 am

Castor Troy wrote:Well, I just got back from the contest and here's how it went...
Spoiler :
It actually started on time for the first time since 2001

Results will be posted tomorrow..
LIES!
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Return to “AMV Contests”