Finalists for Anime Expo Anime Music Video Contest 2008

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
DigitalPanther
Org Profile

Post by DigitalPanther » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:17 pm

MisterFurious wrote:So, does anyone know yet when the AMV awards are? If previous years are any precedent, it'll be Sunday morning, but the schedule still shows nothing.

Any ideas? My wife has to go to a family function on Sunday, and I would prefer to go with her, if I could.....
Hi All,

I have been trying to get a re-show scheduled which would be when we would do the awards. Doesn't look like its happening. I also tried for the Do it as part of Masq half time. Also a no go.
So at this point I need to talk to Nic as see if its ok if we do it during AMV 102 Panel. We could probably show the winners and give out the awards.
Ideas, concepts? Input?
-DP

MisterFurious
Org Profile

Post by MisterFurious » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:36 pm

DigitalPanther wrote:So at this point I need to talk to Nic as see if its ok if we do it during AMV 102 Panel. We could probably show the winners and give out the awards.
Ideas, concepts? Input?
-DP
Isn't that panel the day after the contest? Would that be enough time to count all the ballots?
Last edited by MisterFurious on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

DigitalPanther
Org Profile

Post by DigitalPanther » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:08 pm

MisterFurious wrote: Isn't that panel the day after the contest? Would that be enough time to count all the ballots?
Presuming the system we have set up works (the unit arrives today or tomorrow) it should be plenty of time. Scantron ftw. Yes I am sorry. You will have to have your little highschool flashback. this year we are testing it then if it works we will acutally buy a machine and make custom ballot sheets rather than the generic ones for next year.
Way beter than hand balloting and Light years better than the sound meter.
-DP

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:16 pm

DigitalPanther wrote:
MisterFurious wrote: Isn't that panel the day after the contest? Would that be enough time to count all the ballots?
Presuming the system we have set up works (the unit arrives today or tomorrow) it should be plenty of time. Scantron ftw. Yes I am sorry. You will have to have your little highschool flashback. this year we are testing it then if it works we will acutally buy a machine and make custom ballot sheets rather than the generic ones for next year.
-DP
Oh man, I better study since I'm terrible at scantron tests... :P
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:23 pm

Wow if this keeps up, I'll have to look at entring into the contest once again at AX :D

Vlad

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:31 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
DigitalPanther wrote:
-DP
Oh man, I better study since I'm terrible at scantron tests... :P
Just draw erotic pictures on it like everyone else tends to do in high school. Just see who wins if everyone does that.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

MisterFurious
Org Profile

Post by MisterFurious » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:40 am

DigitalPanther wrote:Presuming the system we have set up works (the unit arrives today or tomorrow) it should be plenty of time. Scantron ftw. Yes I am sorry. You will have to have your little highschool flashback. this year we are testing it then if it works we will acutally buy a machine and make custom ballot sheets rather than the generic ones for next year.
-DP
Uh oh, I sense problems. You're going to use a generic scantron form? The one that just has numbers and A-E answers? That's fine and dandy for a multiple choice test, but this is a ballot for a contest. There is going to be so much confusion over how you fill in the form for each category, how you choose the winner, etc.

More importantly, how will you choose audience best-of-show? It would not be right to simply give that award to the video that has the most votes in its category, as all that determines is which video most easily won its category, not necessarily the audience's favorite. The only way to fairly use the scantron form to determine that award is to set aside one line for each of the videos, then tell the audience to only put a mark on the line corresponding to the video that is their choice for best-of-show.

You're going to have your hands full drafting instructions for how to vote with the scantron. It'll probably have to be a separate sheet handed out with the forms. People aren't going to like it...

If only you had had time to come up with a custom scantron ballot....

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:48 am

DigitalPanther wrote:
MisterFurious wrote:So, does anyone know yet when the AMV awards are? If previous years are any precedent, it'll be Sunday morning, but the schedule still shows nothing.

Any ideas? My wife has to go to a family function on Sunday, and I would prefer to go with her, if I could.....
Hi All,

I have been trying to get a re-show scheduled which would be when we would do the awards. Doesn't look like its happening. I also tried for the Do it as part of Masq half time. Also a no go.
So at this point I need to talk to Nic as see if its ok if we do it during AMV 102 Panel. We could probably show the winners and give out the awards.
Ideas, concepts? Input?
-DP
crappola. shouldn't AX automatically reserve a time and place for the awards ceremony of arguably the biggest contest of the entire convention? :roll:

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:40 pm

The giant scantrons (on 8 1/2 x 11 paper) would probably suffice but I doubt these are what is being used.

The only way I see it working is this:

Since seven videos are in each catagory you have to have them all A-E + AB and AC. Hopefully that should be clear enough to everyone but will need an individual sheet attached to remind them which video is which. I guess it could be put onscreen as well after the video too but still tough.

For best of show I guess you have to have A-E + AB-AE + BC-BE + CD-CE + DE + ABC-ABE + BCD-BCE + CDE + ABCD-ABCE + BCDE + ABCDE

Of course those are the only 25 possible combinations and there are 28 videos and that system is REALLY convoluted.

The other problem I see is scantrons are prone to poor pencilmarks. Meaning people will not exactly have a place to put notes for which videos were which as they've watched them; which to my experience they need to do in order to recall everything for a vote.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

anneke
Org Profile

Post by anneke » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Scantron is a great way to go.

Video 1 = Question 1

Answer A - Voting for this video NO
Answer B - Voting for this video Yes (Best of Category)
Answer C - Voting for this video Best of show
Answer D - Voting for this video Best of show & Best of Category.

It's as simple as that.

The problem is in 'grading' the ballots. I don't know if the machine will spit out what people voted for or not.

-Anneke
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)

Return to “AMV Contests”