Sakura-Con 2008 Results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:07 pm

DriftRoot wrote:
Erudito wrote: 2. I thought Bustin' was a great video it had a good mix of action and humor. More than that I've always been told that the most basic camera tricks are the best. What you did may not have been super complex, but it was visually pleasing, funny, and made Bustin' one of my favorite videos in the contest and this is coming from a person who hates Advent Children videos, heck I can't stand Final Fantasy videos in general.
I'm glad you liked it. 'Bustin (not Bustin', hehe) definitely has the unusual advantage of being able to appeal to both AC fans and nonfans, nevermind AMV fans and nonfans - I get a lot of people telling me that they generally don't like AMVs, but they really like 'Bustin. :)

My shock at receiving the Technical Award has been lessened after learning that the judges apparently were quite impressed by the level of detail in 'Bustin, among other things. This makes me very happy, because it's nice to have that sort of thing recognized. It's also nice to know that the other skills I brought to the table - graphic design, copy writing, etc. - were being evaluated right alongside my video editing abilities. ^_^
I have to agree---the detail and wit totally make that video. Plus, it looks gorgeous---the footage is so clean it's amazing (did you use a hi-def source? I've been wondering about that).

You and I have cornered the market on getting the word "bust" into amv's and contests this year. :D

Seijin_Dinger
Moron #69
Org Profile

Post by Seijin_Dinger » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:57 pm

thundercatlord wrote:Hey Dinger,
Is there anyway to find out what video's were runners up, or came close? I'm curious to know how mine did overall.
I actually didnt keep the tally sheets :(
I will be making up nice tally sheets for next year that will be easier to read
Sakura-Con AMV Contest 2005-2012, Vice Chairman 2013-2014

Radical Ryu
Org Profile

Post by Radical Ryu » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:56 am

My friends and me have been trying to find out what the anime was on one of the vids. It wasn't a winning video, but it had a lot of ball room dancing scenes and I guess the girl is a sword fighter? I realize it's vague but that's about all we can remember at the moment. Anyone know?

Millenium Strife
Org Profile

Post by Millenium Strife » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:42 am

Ballroom dancing? Only video I remember that had any sort of dancing was ballet, and that was a Princess Tutu video.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p?v=154360

-MS

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:53 am

Wasn't there a Sailor Moon one with a "I can be your hero theme"? I seem to remember ballroom dancing in that one...

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:02 pm

CorpseGoddess wrote: I have to agree---the detail and wit totally make that video. Plus, it looks gorgeous---the footage is so clean it's amazing (did you use a hi-def source? I've been wondering about that).
Advent Children is not HD, we'll have to wait for the Director's Cut of AC to come out for that. My footage was just the original video with a little bit of sharpening thrown in for good measure to make swords scintillate and hair have a Pantone-sheen.

The tabloid graphics - except for the stills I pulled from the footage - were all vector files created with InDesign (a desktop publishing program, think brochures, newspapers, tabloids, ads, you name it - the industry standard), then converted to TIFF format. I actually saw someone complain once that I'd oversharpened the graphics, apparently they are too nice looking compared to the rest of the AMV lol...I didn't do ANYTHING to the graphics, that's what they really look like (in fact, the originals look far better). 'Bustin is not a Photoshop intensive AMV, in fact pretty much all I used it for was prepping stills and converting file formats. I could have done it in PS if I'd had to, but it was not the right tool for the task and it couldn't have done as nice a job.
CorpseGoddess wrote: You and I have cornered the market on getting the word "bust" into amv's and contests this year. :D
Yeah :) There were two or three masquerade skits at Anime Boston that also used Ghostbusters, in addition to one of the other comedy AMVs in the competition, every time that song popped up I was like "Hey, that's MY song!" LOL

Adabiel
Org Profile

Post by Adabiel » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:49 am

I still haven't been able to find this year's "Beer For My Horses" AMV -- which I love muchly. Nor have I been able to find Vlad's "The Audition" anywhere. And that makes me sad... :(

I'm hoping we'll see the full list of entrants at some point, since we all have lives *heh* But I saw a lot of AMVs that didn't make it to the finals that I still want to watch again and again. :)

--Jonah

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:59 am

Adabiel wrote:I still haven't been able to find this year's "Beer For My Horses" AMV -- which I love muchly. Nor have I been able to find Vlad's "The Audition" anywhere. And that makes me sad... :(

I'm hoping we'll see the full list of entrants at some point, since we all have lives *heh* But I saw a lot of AMVs that didn't make it to the finals that I still want to watch again and again. :)

--Jonah
I'll try to get it encoded this weekend and put it up soon after...

Vlad

Adabiel
Org Profile

Post by Adabiel » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:15 pm

*squee!*

*twirly-hugs Vlad, then realizes what he's doing, puts him down, and coughs uncomfortably*

Um, yeah... That'd be super. *heh*

--Jonah

Nobuharu
Org Profile

Post by Nobuharu » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:24 pm

Radical Ryu wrote:My friends and me have been trying to find out what the anime was on one of the vids. It wasn't a winning video, but it had a lot of ball room dancing scenes and I guess the girl is a sword fighter? I realize it's vague but that's about all we can remember at the moment. Anyone know?
That would be Kannon 2006 by Kyoto Animation.

Return to “AMV Contests”