Sakura-Con Entry Deadline Coming Up!

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

Postby CArnesen » Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:35 pm

CArnesen wrote:(unlike Anime Expo, I think that A.D. is still waiting for his awards)... :roll:

Umm... maybe it was Klinky... Grrrr... I can't remember...
CArnesen

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Sun Jan 19, 2003 1:37 am

Nope, your right it is A.D.

Vlad
Vlad G Pohnert

Postby TaranT » Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:27 am

Mechaman wrote:I'm morbidly curious if Paul Dostal submitted an OAV yet.

* blesses his copy of Vegas Video to get him through the next two weeks.

Can you believe he actually won an award a few years ago? The "Cheeze Award", or something like that. His vids are always fun in a B-movie sort of way.

BTW, I just started using Vegas last weekend on my latest project. I like it a lot, even though it's only version 2 (got it cheap last summer since it was out-of-date and in a damaged box). Very easy to use: I completed about 70 secs in a few hours this afternoon (only two layers, but some moderately complex overlays).

The only thing I'm missing vis-a-vis Premiere is handling sequential still images. I think the later versions of Vegas do this, however.
TaranT

Postby Mechaman » Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:49 pm

Can you believe he actually won an award a few years ago? His vids are always fun in a B-movie sort of way.

I was there when he won it. Tristan McAvery actually ran out to a Safeway to get the Cheese Log for the award.
The Ed Wood of homegrown fan-anime, that's the phrase I use. I wouldn't mind him so much if he made a more serious attempt to get better--his second "giant robot teamup" video was a step up from the first(while remaining delightfully cheesy), but the third went back in the gutter along with the first.

Vegas 3 is my new Personal Jesus(TM). Insanely fast workflow once you get used to it, native MPEG-2 import, and SMP-aware.
So much in that my problem is getting into the mood to compose the video; I need to watch From Hell and Halloween again to get back in the spirit.
Mechaman

Postby TaranT » Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:50 am

Mechaman wrote:Vegas 3 is my new Personal Jesus(TM). Insanely fast workflow once you get used to it.....

That's a fact...yesterday I needed only 15 minutes (give or take) to post and synch about 100 still pic's. Wish I'd had this two years ago.
TaranT

Postby RichLather » Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:29 pm

I've just finished exporting a clean version of what will be my entry. Looks pretty good... SakuraCon will get my first homebrew AMV of 2003.

I'm rather proud of that fact...finally making a whole AMV at home without the need to take it in to work and use the VIP suite till 3am or so. Sure, I still do that at home, but I can always run down to the fridge for another Pepsi and a hunk of kielbasa.

My "Mission Improbable" clip was but an appetizer. Now I've started main course dishes.
RichLather

Location: Lancaster, OH Position: One of the Elder Statesmen of the .org

Postby Atarashii Hito » Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:01 pm

Hey,
I am having great difficulty with trying to author a DVD, SVCD that actually works, the ones I have created either skip, get stuck, or just won't play.

I really want to enter this contest, I did last year, and I will actually be at Sakura-con this year for the contest. Is there any other possible way I can get my video to the contest? I don't have any means to export to VHS or SVHS for that matter. Please help me! >_<

Thanks!
-Atarashii Hito
Atarashii Hito

Postby TaranT » Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:28 am

I haven't tried these how-to's, but people say this site is a good resource:
http://www.vcdhelp.com/author

Very little time left. You might want to email Chris for advice.
http://www.sakuracon.org/contests.html

You're not alone, though: it's after midnight and I'm still working out some bugs.
TaranT

Postby CArnesen » Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:21 pm

Atarashii Hito wrote:Hey,
I am having great difficulty with trying to author a DVD, SVCD that actually works, the ones I have created either skip, get stuck, or just won't play.

I really want to enter this contest, I did last year, and I will actually be at Sakura-con this year for the contest. Is there any other possible way I can get my video to the contest? I don't have any means to export to VHS or SVHS for that matter. Please help me! >_<

Thanks!
-Atarashii Hito

TaranT wrote:I haven't tried these how-to's, but people say this site is a good resource:
http://www.vcdhelp.com/author

Very little time left. You might want to email Chris for advice.
http://www.sakuracon.org/contests.html

You're not alone, though: it's after midnight and I'm still working out some bugs.

I recommend everyone to the VCDHelp.com website. I use their tutorials to create awesome looking SVCDs. Personally, I use TMPGEnc (to make the MPEG 2 stream) and VCDEasy (to burn a compliant disk).

If this won't work for you, email me and we can chat.
--Chris ^_^
CArnesen

Postby Atarashii Hito » Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:05 pm

CArnesen wrote:
I recommend everyone to the VCDHelp.com website. I use their tutorials to create awesome looking SVCDs. Personally, I use TMPGEnc (to make the MPEG 2 stream) and VCDEasy (to burn a compliant disk).

If this won't work for you, email me and we can chat.

Well I burned an SVCD using the tutorials at www.vcdhelp.com and same with the DVD, and I've used quite a few programs for the DVD authoring AND burning and they have all be the sme results the DVD will play for about 2 seconds the slow down and then get stuck on a frame. The SVCD will play but will skip (non-scratched CD) and the music will slow down/speed up and also the video will just skip frames and the timing is just off terribly. >_<
You cannot believe how unbelievably frusterating this is!
Atarashii Hito

Postby RichLather » Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:58 pm

Videotape went into the mail today, giving it a postmark that beats the deadline. Now we'll see how good Priority Mail is.

My only regret: not leaving enough time to figure out how to use a full-size AVI for the playout, and having to settle for a slightly-jaggy (in places) half-sized AVI.
RichLather

Postby TaranT » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:01 am

RichLather wrote:Videotape went into the mail today, giving it a postmark that beats the deadline. Now we'll see how good Priority Mail is.

Not to be mean or anything, but...

Sakura-Con Rules wrote:13. Entries must be received by Friday, February 7, 2003. Please note that this is not a postmark deadline - the videos must be in our hands by Friday, February 7, 2003. Sakura-Con is not responsible for entries delayed or lost in the mail.
TaranT

Postby RichLather » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:13 pm

I suppose then it is up to CArnesen, since he is in charge. I would have had it out sooner, but I had difficulty getting it played out to videotape.

And given other peoples' problems with making VCDs or DVDs, there may be some leeway. I also don't know how many entries have actually been received, but at the top of this thred it was lamented as being pretty low at the time.

If it doesn't make the cut, fine. There is no shortage of contests this year. But I would certainly like for it to be in, no question.
RichLather

Postby tetsuo93108 » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:45 pm

i get home at about 3:30 pm pacific time i can submit around then if i still can to help with the enteries. :P
tetsuo93108

Postby FurryCurry » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:35 pm

Now that the entry deadline has passed, will there be a list of the videos that will be shown at the contest posted here or on the con website prior to the con itself?

Didn't really want to start a new thread to ask this.
FurryCurry

PreviousNext

Return to AMV Contests