Kawaii-kon 2008 Video Contest info

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

Kawaii-kon 2008 Video Contest info

Postby madmallard » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:00 pm

Yes, a contest is still taking place, bear with us.

Rules & info will be posted shortly. :]
A/V Operations Director for Kawaii-kon, Izumicon, Mizucon, Anime Crossroads
Asst. Dir. for Anime Weekend Atlanta
User avatar
madmallard
 
Joined: 04 Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Cracked up quacker, quacked up cracker

Postby madmallard » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:56 am

rules & info

http://kawaii-kon.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4569

The upload schedule will be announced soon.
The Deadline for all entries is March 15th, 2008.
A/V Operations Director for Kawaii-kon, Izumicon, Mizucon, Anime Crossroads
Asst. Dir. for Anime Weekend Atlanta
User avatar
madmallard
 
Joined: 04 Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Cracked up quacker, quacked up cracker

Postby madmallard » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:56 am

Previous winners, I am assembling a special treat for you. Looking forward to more of your submissions. :)
A/V Operations Director for Kawaii-kon, Izumicon, Mizucon, Anime Crossroads
Asst. Dir. for Anime Weekend Atlanta
User avatar
madmallard
 
Joined: 04 Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Cracked up quacker, quacked up cracker

Postby 808-buma » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:31 pm

Yes folks - even out in Hawaii we have our own AMV contests! Love to see you all compete there as well! Hope to see your entries!
Image
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
808-buma
 
Joined: 25 Apr 2005

Postby Willen » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:41 am

:D
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image
User avatar
Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
 
Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Location: SOS-Dan HQ
Status: Melancholy

Postby WesW » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:33 pm

Noob question: Why such tough audio restrictions?
Would a 320bit mp3 source not be good enough?
I like to mix in some show audio for my vids, and usually it's 192 or 128 bit to start with.
Also, the highest setting on the ripping program I use is 172, 16bit stereo for PCM.
Would I be disqualified for these "infractions"?

If you will, please take a look at my newest vid, and let me know if it would be accepted. (The song source is 320bit mp3.)
If you would add your thoughts on the video quality and whether it's a quality vid in general I would greatly appreciate it.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p?v=156247
User avatar
WesW
 
Joined: 19 May 2006
Location: Florence, Al.

Postby madmallard » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:56 pm

well, technically speaking, common mp3 specifications have the maximum possible as 320kps, so to answer your question, yes, thats good enough.

as far as the 'why', its because it is best for your video when you have it shown. We're at a point now where its such a small data size hit to up that audio bitrate, the benefits are so much better when you start blasting that song over 500watts RMS on big speakers. In Kawaii-kon's case more than 2000 watt speakers.

While things as low as 128kps might be okay for gaming headphones, Built in LCD speakers, or low listening level speakers, its starts suffering exposure very easily. I first noticed this at AWA when we set up the VAT for or 2nd and 3rd year. Our tech guy custom built our speakers and upped us to around 3000 watts overall, and it became real obvious who was using heavy compression on their vids.

If you need a ripper with a higher bitrate, look up CDex its a free program using the LAME mp3 engine.

but your other question i don't understand: what do you mean 'show audio?' like recordings from the show?
A/V Operations Director for Kawaii-kon, Izumicon, Mizucon, Anime Crossroads
Asst. Dir. for Anime Weekend Atlanta
User avatar
madmallard
 
Joined: 04 Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Cracked up quacker, quacked up cracker

Postby WesW » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:07 am

sixstop wrote:well, technically speaking, common mp3 specifications have the maximum possible as 320kps, so to answer your question, yes, thats good enough.

as far as the 'why', its because it is best for your video when you have it shown. We're at a point now where its such a small data size hit to up that audio bitrate, the benefits are so much better when you start blasting that song over 500watts RMS on big speakers. In Kawaii-kon's case more than 2000 watt speakers.

While things as low as 128kps might be okay for gaming headphones, Built in LCD speakers, or low listening level speakers, its starts suffering exposure very easily. I first noticed this at AWA when we set up the VAT for or 2nd and 3rd year. Our tech guy custom built our speakers and upped us to around 3000 watts overall, and it became real obvious who was using heavy compression on their vids.

If you need a ripper with a higher bitrate, look up CDex its a free program using the LAME mp3 engine.

but your other question i don't understand: what do you mean 'show audio?' like recordings from the show?


Ok, thanks for the explanation. Actually, I do use CDex for my cd rips, it's just that I have more time on my hands than money, due to chronic health problems, so I can find a 320bit download better than I can justify buying a cd just to rip a song off it.
As for show audio, what I mean is dvd audio from the rips. I mixed that with song audio for the opening of the vid I posted the link to before.
In file properties, it lists the bitrate as 128 for the finished vid, but I hope this just applies to the dvd audio.
User avatar
WesW
 
Joined: 19 May 2006
Location: Florence, Al.

Postby madmallard » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:11 pm

If one of your sources came in at 128kps, there's not much you can do about it, but don't downgrade your 320kps source to match it.
A/V Operations Director for Kawaii-kon, Izumicon, Mizucon, Anime Crossroads
Asst. Dir. for Anime Weekend Atlanta
User avatar
madmallard
 
Joined: 04 Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Cracked up quacker, quacked up cracker

Postby madmallard » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:18 pm

upload FTPs will be opened tonight, stay tuned for the email address for requests. :)
A/V Operations Director for Kawaii-kon, Izumicon, Mizucon, Anime Crossroads
Asst. Dir. for Anime Weekend Atlanta
User avatar
madmallard
 
Joined: 04 Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Cracked up quacker, quacked up cracker

Postby madmallard » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:56 am

FTP uploading is open, please email a request to receive an entry form and upload login.


kkamv08@ryo-oh-ki.net

:D
A/V Operations Director for Kawaii-kon, Izumicon, Mizucon, Anime Crossroads
Asst. Dir. for Anime Weekend Atlanta
User avatar
madmallard
 
Joined: 04 Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Cracked up quacker, quacked up cracker

Postby JaddziaDax » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:52 pm

zomg I'm entering O: only a few days left O:
User avatar
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
 
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Location: somewhere i think O.o
Status: I has a TRU Arceus

Postby Radical_Yue » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:59 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:zomg I'm entering O: only a few days left O:



x2 :O


Now someone start giving out teh FTPs xD


*goes back to stalking email
ImageImage
User avatar
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose
 
Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Status: The flamer with heart of gold~<3

Postby Melichan923 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:18 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:
JaddziaDax wrote:zomg I'm entering O: only a few days left O:



x2 :O


Now someone start giving out teh FTPs xD


*goes back to stalking email


x3 :)

*Waits for the email*
Image
Image Image
User avatar
Melichan923
 
Joined: 30 May 2006
Location: New Hampshire

Postby madmallard » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:53 pm

i work odd hours so setup emails may come intermittently.
A/V Operations Director for Kawaii-kon, Izumicon, Mizucon, Anime Crossroads
Asst. Dir. for Anime Weekend Atlanta
User avatar
madmallard
 
Joined: 04 Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Cracked up quacker, quacked up cracker

Next

Return to AMV Contests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tipsd9video and 1 guest