Anime North 2008 MVC

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Kieop
Org Profile

Anime North 2008 MVC

Post by Kieop » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:52 pm

The rules for this year's competition are now posted to the Anime North main site. Please check the rules for changes!

http://www.animenorth.com/musicvideos.php

Note that the mailing addresses for submissions have changed.

This year's Momiji's Challenge is a technical challenge.

We are looking for videos comprising of nothing but still images and special effects. No animated sequences allowed. However, the video should create an illusion of movement. We don't want something static and lifeless. No slideshows, please. :P

Due to the difficulty of the Challenge, we are lifting the mininum length requirement of one minute. So you can make a video of any length up to 6 minutes. This is for the Challenge only! All other submissions must meet our regular length specifications.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:43 pm

I have the perfect video for that (all stills and lots of Special effects!), however it's several years old as it was part of a multi-editor project, but never in any contests...

Could that still be submittted?

Vlad

Kieop
Org Profile

Post by Kieop » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:53 pm

If your MEP was available to the public (posted to the internet and/or available for download by the public -- people you don't know), then it has premiered and your portion can't be entered. If, however, the MEP was only available for download through a closed site (access controlled by the video creators), then it hasn't premiered and can be entered.

However, one could argue that once you've extracted your portion from the MEP, it constitutes a separate video, one that hasn't premiered. (I tend to view it as being the same video, though.)

Last year we accepted a video that was a reworking of a previous video. The creator had made a full length version of a video that had previously appeared as part of an anthology.

So if you can re-work your video, it might be legitimately seen to be a new video that hasn't yet premiered. In which case, it would be acceptable.

inthesto
Beef Basket
Org Profile

Post by inthesto » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:03 pm

Can I send in a challenge video that has 29.97 stills per second? :lol:

But seriously, I've already started working on a video for the challenge category. Who knows how it'll pan out, but nobody cares since I'm just gonna get beat my Haunter103 anyway.
Sukunai, Real Canadian Hero wrote:Note to any Muslims present. Abuse a female in my presence, and you are being sent to a hospital emergency ward with life threatening injuries. And no human law will make me change my mind.

Kieop
Org Profile

Post by Kieop » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:13 pm

There has been some confusion about the following rule: ONLY 5% OF AUDIO AND VIDEO MAY COME FROM THE SAME SOURCE MATERIAL.

This rule is meant to stop people from using music and dialogue from their video source. It is not meant to turn every AMV into an anthology or medley.

I want to stop people from using the original soundtrack from their video source, but I don't want to rule it out completely in case they need a little bit of dialogue for artistic reasons.

In the past we have received fan trailers that use a lot of dialogue and/or music to create a fan-made commercial for the anime series or game. I didn't want to outlaw trailers themselves because we have a precedence for giving out awards to other forms of trailers. But the point of an amv is to cut a video source material to an intact music track. When you start cutting video and audio sequences, it's not really an amv anymore. So in short, I don't want to tie people's hands who want to cut audio tracks in general, but I don't want anyone cutting audio and video together.They have to come from separate sources.

It's hard for me to explain. I call it horizontal vs vertical editing. AMVs are edited horizontally. You have and audio track and a video track and they are edited to match each other, with the video track normally being the one cut to the audio track. Vertical editing is cutting a video track with an audio stream so that each audio and video segment is intact and match each other, but they are then rearranged to create something else. I want to restrict vertical editing to 5%, because vertically edited videos are not amvs. I worded the rule the way I did, because I don't want any OST music sources either. I thought saying that only 5% could come from the same source would cover all the things I was trying to avoid. Does this make sense?

As a result, I have changed the rule to read: ONLY 5% OF AUDIO MAY COME FROM THE SAME VIDEO SOURCE MATERIAL

This change should be posted within the next week.

Hope this helps.

MVC Coordinator

WesW
Org Profile

Post by WesW » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:45 pm

I have a newby question on file types and sizes. In the rules section, it says that avi's are allowed. Are there any restrictions on file size, bitrates or codecs? Can people mail you 4GB Huffyuv files?
Also, will files be converted to a standard type, such as Mpeg2, regardless of the form they are sent in?
Editor of Classic Rock Productions - "Old-school editing for old-school Rock"

Kieop
Org Profile

Post by Kieop » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:11 pm

I've forwarded this question to the tech to answer more completely.

I believe we accepted a large Huffyuv file last year without problem, but the tech advises that videos be less than 400MB. Most of the videos we receive are about 200MB. Larger files do tend to yield better results, so we don't have a rule restricting it, but we don't really want gigabyte videos.

All files will be converted to DVD. There will be from 10-30 videos per DVD, so we do need them to fit.
Last edited by Kieop on Tue May 27, 2008 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WesW
Org Profile

Post by WesW » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:37 pm

Ok, thanks.
Editor of Classic Rock Productions - "Old-school editing for old-school Rock"

jimsupreme
Org Profile

Post by jimsupreme » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:11 pm

sorry for the delay in replying folks, but yes, we will not be acepting any large files that are a gig in size the absolute biggest we'll take is 400MB this is to ensure we fit the maximum number of files onto our dvd's at the higest possible quality.

to answer WesW's questions:

Q:I have a newby question on file types and sizes. In the rules section, it says that avi's are allowed. Are there any restrictions on file size, bitrates or codecs?

A: as said before keep the file under 400MB and all is fine, check the rules for our rules on bitrates and codecs which I believe I put in and if not... i'll go back and fix it. when we rush these things sometimes stuff gets left by the side -_-

Q:Can people mail you 4GB Huffyuv files?

A: absolutely not. simple as that.

Q:Also, will files be converted to a standard type, such as Mpeg2, regardless of the form they are sent in?

A: yes, when re-coverting the files to DVD format they will all be transferred to a standard DVD format.

Jim

Kieop
Org Profile

Post by Kieop » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:56 pm

I hope you guys are busy with the finishing touches on your videos.

Tomorrow's the deadline!

We are accepting videos until midnight tomorrow (12:00am April 2). Mailed submissions must be postmarked by April 1st, so get 'em in the mail! 8-)

Good luck, everyone!

Return to “AMV Contests”