Anime Milwaukee 2008 amv contest (Winners announced)

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Anime Milwaukee 2008 amv contest (Winners announced)

Post by Kariudo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:25 pm

alright guys, some of you have been hearing me talk about it for a while now...
but now it's official, the Anime Milwaukee 2008 amv contest is accepting submissions

The amv contest is being held on Friday, February 29 from 8pm til 10pm in the Wisconsin room West (I'll work on getting a building map somewhere on the site)

instead of reposting the rules, I'll just link you to the page
http://www.animemilwaukee.com/amv_con.html
one thing I did forget to mention is that entries shouldn't be available to the public before the con

We're still working out the details of ftp submission...so you should probably just use a site like sendspace for now.

As things stand now, there will be prizes (dvds)
you'll have to come to the convention or name a proxy to receive the prize for you, as we can't pay for shipping (university policy :/ )

*You can send submissions if you aren't going to attend, but if you win and aren't there we'll have to give the prize to someone else.*
Last edited by Kariudo on Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:59 pm

one thing I did forget to mention is that entries shouldn't be available to the public before the con
strike that part about entires having to be unavailable to the public before the con

*amvs entered in the contest may be available to the public before the contest*

808-buma
Org Profile

Post by 808-buma » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:46 pm

is it just me, or does these parts of the rules scare anyone else?
Anime Milwaukee's AMV rules wrote:3. Do not mux your audio and video together...

[and a little later on in the rules]
Once all videos are submitted, they will be imported to an editing program. From there, group bumpers and credits will be added, and everything will then be compressed to mpeg-2 (with mpeg1-layer2 audio) and muxed.
The project settings for combining all videos will be as follows (you don't really need to pay attention to this, but it would help if you did so that your video doesn't become de-synced)
I mean, wouldn't you want the onus of audio / video sync to be on the submitter, not you guys? Especially as sync is one of the judging criteria you state, how does one really know that a low sync score wasn't the cause of an error made on the part of the contest's editor(s)?

And too, how would the contest editor know if there even was a syncing error that may have been unintentionally introduced unless they compared it with a muxed version sent in by the original contestant? And if the contest editor saw what appears to be an 'obvious' sync error in the final contest encode, would they attempt to fix it? And if so, again, how would they know it was an error? Maybe the contestant really didn't want that part to sync and in 'correcting' it, it throws off other bits of the video they did want to sync?

I know it all sounds a bit far fetched, but I do speak from experience. I've been a part of several MEP's where I've submitted separate demuxed footage for my segment and have had out-of-sync problems show up in the final releases. Mind you, they weren't serious MEP's, but still... For a while, it almost seemed like a 'running gag' for a while with my segments being off on the various MEP's but still...

or again, is it just me?

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:26 pm

I was just considering audio quality, but you make a good point

do you think that changing the rules to something along the lines of, "please mux a .wav version of your audio into your submission" would be better?

808-buma
Org Profile

Post by 808-buma » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:18 pm

Kariudo wrote:do you think that changing the rules to something along the lines of, "please mux a .wav version of your audio into your submission" would be better?
I would think so, but maybe more experienced editors / contest coordinators will chime in shortly with their more learned experiences?

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:37 am

So when is the deadline for submission, I dont believe my eyes caught that anywhere? Edit: Just saw it in the Contest Due Dates thread.

So if we happen to win a prize and arent at the convention, what exactly does it mean to have a proxy, or can we pay for the shipping if we wish ?

Zero Link
Org Profile

Post by Zero Link » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:29 am

mycathatesyou wrote:So when is the deadline for submission, I dont believe my eyes caught that anywhere? Edit: Just saw it in the Contest Due Dates thread.

So if we happen to win a prize and arent at the convention, what exactly does it mean to have a proxy, or can we pay for the shipping if we wish ?
A proxy is someone that will basically represent as you and will pick up your prize for you. Oh and:
*You can send submissions if you aren't going to attend, but if you win and aren't there we'll have to give the prize to someone else.*
So yeah, if you don't show, you don't get the prize.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:32 am

Deadline for submissions is 11:59pm cst (gmt-6) on February 8, 2008
mail in submissions should be postmarked no later than Feb 8

it's at the top of the contest rules page, but I can make it stand out a little more

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:29 am

So here we are, about 1 month from the deadline.
the turnout so far has been...less than ideal.
We need your videos to run this thing!
If you've made a video in the past year then you pretty much qualify.

Give me amvs or give me death! (though I do have a life planned out, so amvs would be preferable)

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:29 pm

I'm sure you will get a last minute rush... there usually is ;)
new banzors in the making :p

Return to “AMV Contests”