Proposal for Contest structure for AnimeExpo or other cons.

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

Postby Gander » Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:29 am

In defense of Ushicon staff, I'd like to make it clear why we are not running a contest. As you may already have seen in the cosplay contest arena many cons are being scrutinize of the manner in which they judge. Having just recently come on to the con circuit we have the foreknowledge of these problems and have elected not to make our "showcases" contests. We want to nurture the fact that people want to watch anime videos and that creator want their videos watched, but we want to discourage the political side. Contests have a way of creating disappoint for a good portion of the artist while awarding few. We don't feel it is our place to pass judgment in this way. We'd rather have an open format where everyone can be happy.
Gander

Yeah

Postby anneke » Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:18 pm

Yeah! Good way to be!

Anneke
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)
anneke

Postby TaranT » Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:19 pm

Gander wrote:In defense of Ushicon staff, I'd like to make it clear why we are not running a contest....Contests have a way of creating disappoint for a good portion of the artist while awarding few. We don't feel it is our place to pass judgment in this way. We'd rather have an open format where everyone can be happy.

So, are you saying that Ushicon will show every single AMV that gets sent in? Even if there are 50 of them? 100? 200?

Even if there are no awards, just getting into the showcase (i.e. on-screen) means that there is some kind of selection process. There are limits to the amount of time and equipment - not to mention motivation - that you have to work with.

Maybe you'll get only 10-20 entries, but it is still risky making promises like this ("everyone can be happy").
TaranT

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:56 am

Yep, I agree with that. As soon as you decide to screen AMVs, you always run the risk of being scrutinized for something. Whether it's the sound system, projector, order videos are played in or as mentioned having to pick a "selected" list due to time restraints :roll:

Each con I think just has to decide what it feels works the best for them and what they feel they can handle...

Vlad
Vlad G Pohnert

Previous

Return to AMV Contests