Otakon Winners?!?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:45 am

Oh and DwChang, in case you disearned otherwise from my comments, I actually did like your video ;p (I was there laughing with the rest of the audience aswell) I was mostly just pulling your leg there. I still liked the honey and clover one better, and thought it was a better "romance" video, and partly because of my bias towards the series and its characters, but good video from you aswell. In fact I would've voted yours if the H&C one wasn't in there. (sure the Yaoi one was well edited, but not my taste ;p)

kiarrens
Hagane no Aikousha
Org Profile

Post by kiarrens » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:54 pm

Overall, I felt the entire contest was a little weak. Someone mentioned that there were no real "wow!" videos, and I'd have to agree... The only one I was REALLY impressed with was the Sesshoumaru one, wonderful scene selection and concept.
I enjoyed most of the videos, I even really liked a few, but the contest as a whole just kind of felt "eh" to me. :\

This being said, the setup was very nice on Friday, but the communication amongst the staffers seemed a little lacking as far as where the editors were to sit was concerned - we were told outside the door that there WAS no reserved seating because they didn't clear the room out beforehand, then when we got inside we asked a few more people and were eventually directed up to the correct seating.

Congrats to everyone who won, it was a good time (except for those noisy bastards sitting behind us, but that's neither here nor there.)
ConnectiCon 2009 - 2013: FMV Contest Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2010 - 2013: Cosplay Chess Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2012/2013: Assistant Masquerade Coordinator

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:53 pm

Junipertay wrote:
I wasn't surprised. Your video got the best reaction and although it wasn't a traditional crossover video with a ton of masks and whatnot, you had excellent scene selection. For example, you'd have one person swing their sword down and then the other series would block it as if *gasp* it were coming down on them .

Some would call that lazy (i.e. not masking), but I call it good scene selection. I will however agree there were other good entries in all the categories so winning in any category wasn't exactly easy.

Regardless, congrats. Especially since after talking to you on stage, you seem like a newcomer .
Haha, thanks DW! :wink: I hope I didn't come across as lazy---I would have LOVED to do more/better cutouts/masking etc, but good lord, my Premiere 5.5 could barely handle what I did! lol As it was gave me a heart attack at least five different times, with crashing/freezing/and the lovely "file not found" error message. Blargh! :roll: So yeah, I opted to try and do some "clever" editing instead. I'm hoping that I can get some better software this year, thus allowing me to do much better masking, effects, etc.

And yep, I guess I am pretty much a newbie...lol...I did the "Seven May Cry" vid last year and that was my very first. I'm a professional Graphic Designer and I took a few classes on Premiere and video editing back in college, but that's about it.
First off, I appear to have made a social faux pas and replied to the wrong person and thought it was you. Sorry about that. My comments still stand though.

In any case, it didn't come across as lazy. I find clever and good scene selection more impressive than technical aspects (then again I am old school). If anything, I find THAT lazy because folks can dazzle up a video and cover up all the core and basic things wrong with their video.

As for masking, if you need any help, feel free to PM or IM me. And I actually remember your FFVII Advent Children Action entry from last year. It was one of the few I kept (I'm very picky when it comes to videos >_>). You just picked the wrong year to compete what with Castor's Naruto/DBZ crossover vid :P.

In any case, good luck to you...you newbie ;)

Now to correct my original faux paus:
Shockgrrl747 wrote:
Coordinatior's Choice: Epic Symphony by Astrobright Productions
I was just surprised I got any award at all. XD;

There were so many great amvs, so congratulations to all who entered and/or won! ^^
Now although I screwed up my original reply, I did enjoy your Princess Tutu video immensely. To be honest, the moment I saw the source I felt bad for you because you had A LOT to live up to with the "Hold Me Now" video being all popular and all.

With that said, after your video completed, I wasn't at all disappointed and enjoyed it. It was a solid action entry and I was glad they gave you the coordinators choice since that video deserved some recognition.

As I said on stage, I was torn between your video and Junipers for my vote. I won't reveal which one I went with ;).

As I said with Junipertay, good luck with your next endeavors!
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:07 pm

Bakadeshi wrote:
ReligionX wrote:
Hey now. If real romance weren't ever fun, or god forbid funny, by golly it would be boring and down-right awkward. It's not "Sentimental Romance." It's Romantic AMVs or Sentimental AMVs. :roll: .
Actually the romance bit was just to pester chang, he knows why ;p (same thing happened to us back in ... er... 2004 or 5 or something)

I actually can accept changs as romance and the Oran one as upbeat, as they both also had strong romance and upbeat qualities to them aswell, onpar or more so than their humor.
Don't worry, I know. I talked to you in person at Iron Editor after all. And yeah, 2005. I always think there are videos that aren't properly categorized, but that year was really...interesting so yeah, the two of us have a shared pain :P. The controversy surrounding that year was a way bigger deal than this year. I found this year pretty tame.
Bakadeshi wrote:Anyway it was more of an observational complaint than a me raising my fist in anger-protest complaint, if my words seemed otherwise.
I dunno man, you were choking me at the con...then again, I did learn my lesson at 2005 j/k ;)
Bakadeshi wrote:Oh and DwChang, in case you disearned otherwise from my comments, I actually did like your video ;p (I was there laughing with the rest of the audience aswell) I was mostly just pulling your leg there. I still liked the honey and clover one better, and thought it was a better "romance" video, and partly because of my bias towards the series and its characters, but good video from you aswell. In fact I would've voted yours if the H&C one wasn't in there. (sure the Yaoi one was well edited, but not my taste ;p)
There's no need to explain your voting to me. I'm almost positive most of my friends didn't vote for me and that's OK. I actually prefer my friends freely choose such things since I hate having a win 'tainted' by any sort of bias and whatnot. That way whether I win or lose, I know it's 'legit' or whatever.

But yeah I didn't know if you liked it or not (afterall it wasn't super sappy), but glad that you did. Thanks!
-Daniel

SpYdEr_Dan
Org Profile

Post by SpYdEr_Dan » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:12 pm

I'm just mad that the entire time during IE that my DS died. So I got to miss out on trying to draw a dune buggy and all sorts of fun stuff on picochat.

Man, the only reason I got a DS for Christmas was because of IE last year! >.<

Grats to the winners and thanks to Vic's "inspiring pep talk" he gave me the other day, im a try and make more vids from now on.
-=SpYdEr DaN=-
<a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... r_id=58872" target="_blank">SpYdEr Dan's a-m-v.org Profile</a>

NSilverwolf
Org Profile

Post by NSilverwolf » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:45 pm

kiarrens wrote:
This being said, the setup was very nice on Friday, but the communication amongst the staffers seemed a little lacking as far as where the editors were to sit was concerned - we were told outside the door that there WAS no reserved seating because they didn't clear the room out beforehand, then when we got inside we asked a few more people and were eventually directed up to the correct seating.
It's true that the room was not cleared between the concert and seating for the AMVs (there was only an hour between the triple A concert and the scheduled beginning of the AMVs). The AMV coordinator made the decision to not clear the room. It would have been difficult to completely empty that room, seat it again, and still start on time. What did happen, was that for the first twenty or so minutes after the concert, the doors to main events were "out only" to clear the room of people who had seen the concert but did not want to stay for the AMVs.

As people came it they were allowed to sit wherever they wanted to. We as main events staff knew there was creator seating, but didn't know where that was until about fifteen minutes into seating. During that time, the suggestion was to find a seat you liked best since there were large holes in seating in every section of the room. That was more than likely why you had difficulty finding the creator seating.
Anime Boston Staff 2005-present
Otakon Staff 2007

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:30 pm

SpYdEr_Dan wrote:I'm just mad that the entire time during IE that my DS died. So I got to miss out on trying to draw a dune buggy and all sorts of fun stuff on picochat.

Sorry to hear it. There was a pretty spectacular dune buggy actually drawn. Tis a shame the audience didn't see it.
-Daniel

Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:43 pm

dwchang wrote:
SpYdEr_Dan wrote:I'm just mad that the entire time during IE that my DS died. So I got to miss out on trying to draw a dune buggy and all sorts of fun stuff on picochat.

Sorry to hear it. There was a pretty spectacular dune buggy actually drawn. Tis a shame the audience didn't see it.
I was sorry I didn;t have a DS there also ;p

My brother did, but he couldn;t get into the right room since it was full.

I'll have to make sure to get one for next year :p

tobywan
Org Profile

Post by tobywan » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:43 pm

blahcubedbuddy wrote:tobywan:

Actually, I sat with about 10 people and we thought you were a shoe-in. Hell, it had great music, great anime, excellent scene selection, and did all of it without the need for some sort of major adobe special effects. In essence, a quasi-minimalistic masterpiece in my book.
WOW..........that's way too kind. You are dead on about the effects though. I was more concerned with telling a story than with making a piece of eye candy(not that I'm experienced enough in editing or editing software to make good eye candy anyway). Thank you and your nine buddies again though. I was a little disappointed that I didn't even place so it makes me feel better to hear from someone who enjoyed it.

dragontamer5788
Org Profile

Post by dragontamer5788 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:47 pm

<3 Pride vs the Cows in Comedy.

Actually... anywhere where I can find it online? Most of the AMVs I want to see again, but I'm not finding the ones I really liked. (Pride vs Cows, Sessomeru Champloo, the "poo" one, etc. etc.)

Return to “AMV Contests”