AX2007 aftermath - The curse of Long Beach returns

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Seijin_Dinger
Moron #69
Org Profile

Post by Seijin_Dinger » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:04 pm

ban on showing any Audio or Video?
WTF?

is that in any written policies or bylaws?
Sakura-Con AMV Contest 2005-2012, Vice Chairman 2013-2018, Chairman 2019-2024, Retired

KagatoAMV
Studio Hybrid
Org Profile

Post by KagatoAMV » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:11 pm

Seijin_Dinger wrote:ban on showing any Audio or Video?
WTF?

I've mentioned it in other places, but in effect they required that I provide a list of all audio and video that I would want to show during the workshop. I also needed to show that I had permission for these clips to be played. They changed what was required each time I successfully gained permission, effectively banning audio and video from the panel.

(The room also only had a VGA connector and none of us had an adapter with us.)

Seijin_Dinger
Moron #69
Org Profile

Post by Seijin_Dinger » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:15 pm

ok I can understand the whole asking for permission part, but changing the requirements need to meet AFTER you successfully met their requirements seems a bit assanine to me
Sakura-Con AMV Contest 2005-2012, Vice Chairman 2013-2018, Chairman 2019-2024, Retired

TommyRude
Org Profile

Post by TommyRude » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:08 pm

Studio Hybrid wrote:
Seijin_Dinger wrote:ban on showing any Audio or Video?
WTF?

I've mentioned it in other places, but in effect they required that I provide a list of all audio and video that I would want to show during the workshop. I also needed to show that I had permission for these clips to be played. They changed what was required each time I successfully gained permission, effectively banning audio and video from the panel.

(The room also only had a VGA connector and none of us had an adapter with us.)
Next year plan on breaking the rules if the opportunity arises and bring your AV gear. :P
"I see no reason to have patience wit morons..."
"Have I mentioned how much I loathe fangirls?"
Master of the 30 second bumper.
a-m-v.org's resident asshole and thinly veiled Eminem ripoff.

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:29 pm

I've had a few behind the scenes discussions with people quite frequently as of late. I'm convinced that attitudes are in the right place as far as AMV is concerned. May is in, Chase is very much in (in fact, he approached me rather than vice versa), and obviously Katy and James are in.

They all love AMV and want good things for it people aren't on the same page or speaking the same language, which has bred HUGE mistrust and misunderstanding. I'm finding that it's like two sides fighting a war with each other over the same goal, just with different approaches. I have the rare fortune of being on good terms with both sides, and I hope I can use that to find middle ground.

There won't be a solution overnight though. Right now AX is focusing on handling the usual post-con matters, plus some rather delicate internal matters (which have haunting similarities). Once that stuff gets settled, then I expect that some brainpower can be devoted to determining where to go with AMV and how to accommodate its related fan panels. One thing's certain though: It's not going to die.

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:11 pm

AMVs aside I think part of the problem with the panel is that AX has cut a lot of fan programming over the years. I remember back in the late ninties and early 2000s there were a lot of fan run panels. Nowadays it's just down to workshops basicaly to give room for the industry panels. So AMV panels getting cut at this point doesn't surprise me so much as I figure they are getting cut much like most any other fan related panel.

The best thing I could come up with is if you tried to book workshop space longer and combine the panels (Longer in order to necessitate time to each item withotu having to cut either down).
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Return to “AMV Contests”