Dragon*Con 2007 AMV Contest

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

Dragon*Con 2007 AMV Contest

Postby Nimthiriel » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:20 pm

As you all know the First Annual Dragon*Con AMV Contest went exceptionally well. We had a great grouping so we are going to give it another try.

For complete list of rules and information please visit www.dragonconamv.com. Entries are due by June 30, 2007.

We are also having a side contest like the one we did last year. If you want to participate please create an AMV to "Lay your hands on me" - the Icehouse vs Speed of Light mix. The music download can be found on the Dragon*Con AMV website.

I look forward to seeing all of your entires and thank you all for your support.

Nim
Nimthiriel

Postby AMV_4000 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:34 am

starting off this contest a bit early?

I'll either judge or enter this year.
AMV_4000

Postby Nimthiriel » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:43 am

This is the time of year I posted it last year. I think.

That's cool. I'll probably bug you later on for volunteering.
Nimthiriel

Postby kholaras » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:30 pm

There are no references on the website to the mentioned side contest or the audio file - or they're sufficiently obtuse to have not been found by me.

And the Format Requirements rules section is still a jumble of self contradictions. Uncompressed audio immediately followed by 'compressed audio is okay...'

I believe what you truly meant is:

Digital only
Video frame size/aspect ratio/frame rate
Audio sampling rate and bit density

then collect the various other stuff under format specific headings. Experienced editors can probably read between the lines though and see what you're getting at.

I wish you (and the editors) luck with the contest!
kholaras

Postby Nimthiriel » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:45 pm

I'm looking into this. Thank you for you input.
Nimthiriel

Postby Nimthiriel » Wed May 02, 2007 7:40 am

Well guys, we are into the last two months before your entries are due. We've had a really good response and I look forward to seeing all the entries.

Thanks for making this second year a good run!

Nim
Nimthiriel

Postby Nimthiriel » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:37 pm

New Deadline: July 31st, 2007

After thinking about it and hearing feedback from some of you we have decided to extend the deadline to July 31st.

Thank you all for your participation.
Nimthiriel

Postby d35+r0x » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:49 pm

so this is a contest that you have to mail your video to

i need some raw episodes, cus all i have is fansubed anime SHIT
d35+r0x

Postby Nimthiriel » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:29 am

I have been having people upload their videos to yousendit or they can send me a link where I can download their videos from as long as I don't have to open anymore accounts. We are not going to set up accounts to every single download site out there. I'm sorry guys but I can't do that. I will try to get a better system in place for next year so people can submit electronically.

Regarding format. Please remember that we prefer avi format. I have received some wmv and mpg videos which I will convert if I have to but I can't guarentee the quality once I'm done.

This year we are working on having trophies made for the prizes. I know it is kind of lame but that is what the director wants to do and since I am but the lowly Asst Dir ......well actually, I didn't want to argue anymore. I could use some feed back as to what you guys are interested in for prizes. That will help us to help you. We enjoy doing the contest and we want to encourage participation so let me know where you guys would like to see this go. I know that there has been a lot of concern as to DragonCon not caring about the needs to anime fans which is why I am here. If it within my power I will make it happen.

Thanks for all your input and support.

Nim
Nimthiriel

Postby AMV_4000 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:31 am

You said you want avi files, im assuming that you dont want them uncompressed, nor huffy or lagarith if your going to be showing them. Upon this assumption i also assume that you want the highest quality Xvid File, am i correct?
AMV_4000

Postby Nimthiriel » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:27 pm

Format Requirements:

If we have to do any editing (converting, etc) to your entry we can’t ensure the quality. In order to ensure your quality please follow the formatting rules. Use a plain label disk for submitting your disk. Label the disk with submission title and group name. We will assign a submission number to each disk so leave room for us to write on your disk. If we don’t have room to put your submission number on your disk we will disqualify you. We suggest you leave either the top half or the bottom half open for us.

1) A 10 second bumper is required for all submissions

2) All submissions should be no less than 2 minutes and 30 seconds and no more than 6 minutes in length.

3) Digital Video Format Requirements:

a) Digital video file formatting requirements:

b) 720x480 Frame Size

c) 23.97 or 24 Frames per Second (Progressive)

d) 29.97 Frames per Second (Interlaced)

e) 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz 16 bit stereo uncompressed PCM audio

f) MPEG-2 bitrate must not exceed 15 Mbps

4) The preferred submission format for the contest is: uncompressed AVI @ 29.97 (or 23.976 w/pulldown) frames per second, with a resolution of 720x480 @ 0.9 pixel aspect ratio including 41,000 Hz 16-bit stereo uncompressed WAV audio.

5) All entries must be in digital format. We will accept either a DVD or Data CD from contestants.

6) Large submissions are acceptable but please try to keep the submissions to one disk each

7) Make sure your video will play on several players before submitting it to us. We will make every effort to play your submission however if we can’t play your video it is disqualified.

8) Use a plain label disk for submitting your disk. Label the disk with submission title and group name. We will assign a submission number to each disk so leave room for us to write on your disk. We suggest you leave either the top half or the bottom half open for us.Entries must adhere to these standards. If your video is selected to be shown, we cannot guarantee the quality of your video, or even guarantee that it will be able to be shown if it does not conform exactly to this format. If for whatever reason you are unable to provide us with the above format, the following are also acceptable provided that they maintain the requested 720x480 resolution and 29.97 (or 23.976 w/pulldown) frame rate; however keep in mind that they are *NOT* preferred.

Video
MPEG1 & MPEG2 (.mpeg.mpg.m2v,etc.)
Divx (.avi)
Xvid (.avi)
Audio
Dolby AC3 (.ac3)
MPEG Audio (.mp3.mp2,etc.)
We will reject any submission that comes in as a WMV, RM (Real Player), OGG, MOV (Quicktime) or using any video codec not listed above. We will also reject DVD format. We will be putting your submission into a play list and we will not take the time to convert your files to .avi or .mpg. If we have to do any editing to your entry we can’t ensure the quality.

In order to ensure your quality please follow the formatting rules.

I'm sorry the MPEG formats are acceptable. Apparently I was smoking crack the other day when I posted. :)
Nimthiriel

Postby AMV_4000 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:35 am

Nimthiriel wrote:
1) A 10 second bumper is required for all submissions

does that mean 10 seconds of black or like a studio/creator bumper?

also is this required only at the beginning or at the end?

not trying to be a pain, just trying to help things.
AMV_4000

Postby CodeZTM » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:46 pm

Meh. I might enter. I too want to know about the 10 sec bumper though. :shock:
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round

Postby Nimthiriel » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:20 pm

Well if I had my way the credits would be in the bumber however last year I had a lot of complaints about creators not thinking that was a good idea. If you guys want to put in your own credits in the future I can allow it for next year. I'm letting them slip by for now because I want to increase participation. I'm not going to create them for now so I will be announcing them like I did last year because I enjoy getting up there and making a fool of myself. :lol:

Anyway, the bumper is suppose to be at the beginning and the end so I have time to announce the amvs. If they aren't there I won't have time but I'll just work with it either way. I'm pretty flexible unless I'm completely taken advantage of. Once the contest gets a strong foothold I'll become more strict with the rules because I'll have to narrow down the number of amvs we will play during the time allotment.

I hope this helps.
Nimthiriel

Postby Nimthiriel » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:10 pm

Two more weeks til the end of the contest.

Thanks for all the entries you guys!
Nimthiriel

Next

Return to AMV Contests