AX AMV Semifinalists

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:35 pm

Castor Troy wrote:suberunker's video was shown at the end of the contest.

Sadly it couldn't be voted on... :cry: :? :(
While I am definitely glad it was at least shown for the audience's sake, I think it's retarded that it was left out of the contest.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

sasuke2468
Org Profile

Post by sasuke2468 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:44 pm

O.O wat happened to my video here... the quality was horrible and they turned the music down that's not wat it was like when i sent it >.< but yea i loved suberunker's vid, didn't git wat the guy was talking about tho >.> sumthin about adding another catagory???

aznfs
Org Profile

Post by aznfs » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:19 am

anneke wrote:I was very annoyed by the 40-45 minutes they spent of the AMV contest showing a martial arts deminstration. Supposidly it was a time stall. (rolls eyes). AX is to big of a convention to keep having 'technical diffeculties' like they have been having over the years.

-Anneke
i personally would rather have had the old amvs playing, if its an amv contest, amvs should be playing

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:19 am

Why does it feel like big cons just don't give a damn about the contest this year :? At least Otakon *used* to be good, but now it seems like any con with attendance above 10k or so is doomed to AMV failure.

Therax
Org Profile

Post by Therax » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:38 am

TnAdct1 wrote:You know, this kinda reminds me of Anime USA 2002, when an early version of Suberunker's "The Two Shall Meet" video was shown at the end of the contest as a non-competing video.
Of course, suberunker's video this year wasn't an "early version." What really ticks me off is that the MC made it seem like it was being shown as a preview or showcase, as a special favor from suberunker, when that's very far from the truth: it was entered as a competing entry (with several previous awards under its belt) and disqualified by the coordinators, a fact curiously not mentioned to the audience during the convention.

On a separate note, judging purely from the strength of the audience reaction, this was honestly one of the weakest Comedy categories in recent memory for any established con, let alone a big one like AX.

Stryyder
Org Profile

Post by Stryyder » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:50 pm

I have to say, I was a bit disheartened by the show this year. A couple small facts:

While I am a bit biased, as Rider4Z (V. Rider) is my fiance, I must say my favorite vid of the con was her "Fight for Life" video. I had a feeling it would be her vs Castor for the action category. It also seemed to get the most audience reaction of all the 3 non-comedy categories.

With respect to the comedy entrants I really think the comedy section was lacking this year. 2 videos to the same song, 2 videos with the same anime and almost same theme. I really longed for previous year competition.

Congrats to the best in show, that truly was a powerful video.

Can we please....PLEASE get over Sasuke/Naruto? 4 videos in the con pairing Naruto and Sasuke is ridiculous. It's speedily becoming the new "DBZ/Linkin Park".

I can understand James' separation of Kevin's video, though I think it could have fit in AMtv. Hopefully there will be a new category to fit those videos next year.

All in all, it could have been better, but at least I got some new stuff.

savvy_style
Org Profile

Post by savvy_style » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:36 pm

Yeah, I had wondered how my poor comedy video managed to make it into the semi-finals...
The other categories were so awesome this year (in my opinion anyway) but the comedy portion disappointed even me T_T
I didn't even laugh at a couple >_>

But awesome props to Brad :D his video totally deserved its awards :3 (I think anyway...)

And I feel so horribly bad for the two entrants in the comedy section who had the same song used D: [I thought it was a general courtesy that you /don't/ do that >_> ]

Little Masa-ouki
Org Profile

Post by Little Masa-ouki » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:52 pm

As one of the two Ultimate Showdown creators (the first one, not that it matters) I agree. I'm not saying that either of us would have won, but I definitely think that us both being there lowered both of our chances as we were telling similar jokes and it split the people who voted for us.
"By the Triforce of Courage, why am I still on Fire?!" - Link, Knights of the Old Coding, http://kotoc.keenspace.com

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:21 pm

Stryyder wrote:I have to say, I was a bit disheartened by the show this year. A couple small facts:

While I am a bit biased, as Rider4Z (V. Rider) is my fiance, I must say my favorite vid of the con was her "Fight for Life" video. I had a feeling it would be her vs Castor for the action category. It also seemed to get the most audience reaction of all the 3 non-comedy categories.
That was probably my favorite video of the action category and I gave it my vote. :)
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Kisanzi
Why I likes so much?
Org Profile

Post by Kisanzi » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:00 am

Grats to all the winners! Especially Brad, who had one of the few drama vids in a while that actually had alot of emotional substance. My persoanl favorite of the contest was Technicality V. Maybe because I'm a sucker for effects but I really did like alot of the ideas in the vid and I'm glad it won something.

I've gotta say that the contest this year was average. It didn't have any stand out winners or eye popping vids, but most of the videos were at least consistant. My only complaint would lie with the prejudging. I realize they might've been very strapped for time this year but I feel that the categories were a bit scattered as far as the wrong videos being grouped into the wrong categories.

Return to “AMV Contests”