Animazement 2006 AMV Contest (Durham, NC)

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Kurai Seraphim
Org Profile

Animazement 2006 AMV Contest (Durham, NC)

Post by Kurai Seraphim » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:53 pm

Hey guys, that time of year again. The rules can be found here..

As a point of interest, I'm taking a more personal approach this year. I'll be in contact with everyone who enters the contest for some period of time before the convention to make sure your entry survives the perils and potholes of the information superhighway (yay outdated internet slang!), so hopefully the contest and convention itself will prove more user friendly this year.

There will also be an AMV panel at the convention this year, so if you're present try to drop by. I'm trying to get the AMVers to meet one another face to face and take people out from behind the harsh glow of their monitors long enough to get social. There will be some egumication too, of course.

If you have any questions, please contact me at amv@animazement.org or over AIM (Kurai Seraphim).
Animazement AMV Contest Coordinator
http://www.animazement.org
Amv@animazement.org

MCHeadcase
Org Profile

Post by MCHeadcase » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:55 pm

I was wondering when someone was gonna make a thread about it...

I'm making last minute changes to mine right now and I should have it for you in the mail by the end of this week
"<a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... 686">There is no dark side of the moon really ... matter of fact, it's ALL dark...</a>"

Kurai Seraphim
Org Profile

Post by Kurai Seraphim » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:10 am

I would have made it sooner, but I wanted to wait for our FTP situation to resolve. Given it apparently isn't going to, I didn't see much of a reason to continue delaying. I'll e-mail you once I receive your mail-in entry and I'm e-mailing everyone shortly before the convention to make sure everyone who is in the contest knows that they're there. Nothing burns more than waiting through a contest you only *think* you're in.

Kurai Seraphim
Org Profile

Post by Kurai Seraphim » Thu May 04, 2006 12:35 am

Just a general reminder that online submissions have to come through in the next few weeks to make it into the contest. IM or e-mail me for more information if you're interested in submitting things digitally.
Amv@animazement.org

greenjinjo
Org Profile

Post by greenjinjo » Sun May 28, 2006 8:57 pm

No one has updated this yet?

Here are some basics, I'm a bit busy at the moment so I apologize if any of these are mispelled or have the wrong names....

Conservation Award:
Save Konoha's Rainforest (Sorry, don't remember the exact title)

Fan Favorite:
AMV no Baka 2

3rd Place:
The Cat who Won't Cop Out (with Totoro)

2nd Place:
Asuka is teh Suck

1st Place:
Can't remember the name but it had Wings on Honnemaise (sp?) to Major Tom

If anyone can please update this with the correct titles and links to the videos, that'd be awesome :P
godix wrote:Free sausage. No conditions. No tricks. To the best of my ability I will give anyone a sausage on anything they ask for. I'm not kidding here, I'll do as many sausage as I can.
Check out my deviantART!

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Sun May 28, 2006 9:34 pm

greenjinjo wrote:Conservation Award:
Save Konoha's Rainforest (Sorry, don't remember the exact title)

Fan Favorite:
AMV no Baka 2

3rd Place:
The Cat who Won't Cop Out (with Totoro)

2nd Place:
Asuka is teh Suck

1st Place:

If anyone can please update this with the correct titles and links to the videos, that'd be awesome :P
Which of those was the one that ripped off Nightowl Pictures' Brian's Song?
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=97676

From a reliable source, I heard that one video directly took from Brian's Song, and won an award from it.
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Mon May 29, 2006 11:14 am

Quick feedback on the contest this year:

-- You need a consistent playlist. You have a 2 hour Main Events timeslot to fill with videos. Those that make it go on the 2 hour timeslot. Those that don't, they go in the overflow. I know you received 7 Advent Children videos. Those that fit can stay. Those that didn't fit can go to the overflow. It's not like all of them were all on the same level of goodness; you needed to determine what videos stayed in the main showing and what videos went to the overflow. You can't just go "we'll show 3 on Friday and 3 on Saturday"; that would defeat the whole purpose of separation.

-- I was irked that my video -- which was the last one in the contest -- wasn't played on the Saturday reshowing, and was shown only once during the entire weekend. I noticed you cut off Saturday's reshowing at 10:45 when you started at 9am. Two hours means two hours, no more and no less. If I am a finalist, my video deserves to be shown at ALL main showings of the contest, not just the Friday one.

-- Also, if possible, please categorize the videos on the title card, if you're not going to group them by category. (Put the tyoe of genre on the title card.) In addition, there should be a "no credits/bumpers/logos" rule; a video that's entered for submission into a contest should not start with a production logo nor end with credits; that's what the title card is for.

I know this is only the second year you've done the AMV contest; here's hoping that next year's can improve on this year's one.
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

MCHeadcase
Org Profile

Post by MCHeadcase » Mon May 29, 2006 12:18 pm

greenjinjo wrote:1st Place:
Its bugging me cause I've been trying to find this video ever since I got home and I can't... not on this site or any other...
"<a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... 686">There is no dark side of the moon really ... matter of fact, it's ALL dark...</a>"

Kurai Seraphim
Org Profile

Post by Kurai Seraphim » Mon May 29, 2006 10:11 pm

Brakus wrote:-- You need a consistent playlist. You have a 2 hour Main Events timeslot to fill with videos. Those that make it go on the 2 hour timeslot. Those that don't, they go in the overflow. I know you received 7 Advent Children videos. Those that fit can stay. Those that didn't fit can go to the overflow. It's not like all of them were all on the same level of goodness; you needed to determine what videos stayed in the main showing and what videos went to the overflow. You can't just go "we'll show 3 on Friday and 3 on Saturday"; that would defeat the whole purpose of separation.
I'm well aware that not all of them are on the same level of goodness, but I didn't put "Your video has to be good" in the rules so I can't hold that or the fact that other people made videos using the same footage against people. Goodness is an opinion and in all honesty if we were to go off of my personal choices of what's good and what isn't we would have a significantly shorter contest all around. While that might sound nice for some people, I try to get the most exposure for the most people in hopes that people who are inexperienced maintain their interests and improve over time.

Furthermore, if I'd shown all of them in overflow then we'd have watched 5 Advent Children videos in overflow and the problem would have been even greater. I directly contacted every single person who sent me an Advent Children video in advance of the contest and informed them of their options and everyone who replied was happy with the result, so that's what I did.
-- I was irked that my video -- which was the last one in the contest -- wasn't played on the Saturday reshowing, and was shown only once during the entire weekend. I noticed you cut off Saturday's reshowing at 10:45 when you started at 9am. Two hours means two hours, no more and no less. If I am a finalist, my video deserves to be shown at ALL main showings of the contest, not just the Friday one.
For clarification, 2 hours does not mean 2 hours at an Anime convention. 2 hours means 1 hour and 45 minutes in the real world where rooms need to be set up for the following event. The Saturday contest fell victim to technical issues at the start and halfway through, so it was delayed a bit and that was enough to clip the last two videos. That was not intentional and I'll do my best to avoid that in the future. For what it's worth, I put yours as the last video because I wanted to end the contest on a good note at each showing so that people would be satisfied and talking on their way out of the room.

And Friday is the main showing. Period. What I do on Saturday is meant to be an encore where I go through as much as I can in the time I am given. I am sorry your video was shown only once, but it was shown during the spotlight showing in one of the most coveted spots on the playlist and that's the extent of any garantee I could give anyone accepted into the contest.
-- Also, if possible, please categorize the videos on the title card, if you're not going to group them by category. (Put the tyoe of genre on the title card.) In addition, there should be a "no credits/bumpers/logos" rule; a video that's entered for submission into a contest should not start with a production logo nor end with credits; that's what the title card is for.
Animazement doesn't do categories, so to speak, because in all honesty we don't seem to get a variety of videos. Most of our entries fall into the comedy category and as a result we put everything together. The request in the rules to classify your video is there because I personally devise every playlist to alternate between "active" and "passive" videos. Anyone who has ever been to an amv contest with multiple slow videos in succession will tell you that you fall asleep and none of them get the credit they deserve, so this is my attempt to ease that. In hindsight, I should have put your video and the 0080 video closer to the start of the Sunday playlist given they were clipped from Saturday and I can't make any excuse for that beyond lack of foresight.

The title cards were an experiment on my part this year that seemed to work, so I will be cutting people's bumpers next year. This was my experimental year for a number of options because I want 2007 (Animazement 10) to be as smooth and efficient as I can possibly handle. Some things worked, some didn't, but hopefully it'll all work out.
I know this is only the second year you've done the AMV contest; here's hoping that next year's can improve on this year's one.
Thanks for the support there. I'm trying to make the contest into one that's as favorable to the amv creators as it is to the viewers, so things can get kinda shakey. I hope my responses didn't come off as snappy as they weren't intended to be; I'm merely trying to explain my situation in hopes that you can all provide me with input as to how you would like to see future contests run.

If I could get some feedback on what you would and wouldn't like to see regarding the idea of the overflow, I would really appreciate it. I like the bumper cards and plan to continue doing them (and requiring all bumpers from the actual amvs to be clipped), but I'm still uncertain about overflow. I have received a number of personal thanks from people whose videos made it into overflow and they seem to feel more confident in their future videos, but this doesn't change the fact that it spreads the contest to well over two hours of entries. I know it's going to come down to a decision of personal preference but that's an easier decision to make when I've heard the opinions of the people actually in the contest. Would you rather have a better chance of having your video shown at some point or would you want to have your video shown three times throughout the weekend knowing that the Sunday showing is generally low population without the promise of new videos?
Amv@animazement.org

Kurai Seraphim
Org Profile

Post by Kurai Seraphim » Mon May 29, 2006 10:20 pm

jbone wrote: Which of those was the one that ripped off Nightowl Pictures' Brian's Song?
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=97676

From a reliable source, I heard that one video directly took from Brian's Song, and won an award from it.
Eh, not so much. One of the videos (AMV no Baka 2) included a really really short spoof of the clip in that video where the Puchu chant really quickly, but that was hardly what made it win anything. It also spoofed Osaka's Daydreams and AMV Hell 3. None of these segments actually contributed to it's award of Fan Favorite, however, as the audience didn't really laugh at those parts. They didn't get the references and weren't laughing at those. Calling AMV no Baka 2 a ripoff of Brian's Song would be like saying Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a ripoff of Homestar Runner because they made one Trogdor joke in one episode.
Amv@animazement.org

Return to “AMV Contests”