Sakura-Con 2003 AMV/OVA Contest

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Sep 17, 2002 4:39 pm

TaranT wrote:I'd like to see a contest try to handle voting by wireless LAN. The contest sets up a server, and the only people who can vote are those who bring their own wireless-enabled PDAs or laptops. This may be more feasible in the future, but who knows.
OK, so we can throw away the mob for elitism :lol:

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Tue Sep 17, 2002 4:55 pm

I would say the voting ballot is less flawed, the amount of lurking varialbes involved would be far less than the applause meter.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Tue Sep 17, 2002 5:54 pm

Give everyone a cudgel.
The last 20 or so people standing get to decide the winners.
My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.

Marlex
Org Profile

Post by Marlex » Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:48 pm

I don't have any experience with Applause meters and don't know how they work, and I have no plans of entering Sakura Con's contest, but from what I have seen at cons that I have gone to, any vids with Gundam Wing Pilots, Van from Escaflowne, Final Fantasy characters, or the like will greatly skewed the results. Believe me, those girls can make some noise.

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:33 am

Marlex wrote:I don't have any experience with Applause meters and don't know how they work, and I have no plans of entering Sakura Con's contest, but from what I have seen at cons that I have gone to, any vids with Gundam Wing Pilots, Van from Escaflowne, Final Fantasy characters, or the like will greatly skewed the results. Believe me, those girls can make some noise.
In my experience it was Fushigi Yuugi and it was earbusting. A high-frequency cutoff filter might help...or a carefully placed wad of used chewing gum.
AbsoluteDestiny wrote:OK, so we can throw away the mob for elitism
Sounds good to me! :o But CArnesen is right: most people don't have the devices (yet?), although a laptop could be shared.

Here's a scenario for the future (?): the contest server is basically just a router to get audience members' laptops onto the Net. Voting takes place by posting messages to a special topic at a-m-v.org - or maybe a Yahoo polling area. Contest results evolve in (mostly) real time where the world can watch.
jbone wrote:Here's a concept: a screening without a contest/winners.
Another good idea. Or skip the audience vote and say that every finalist is a winner just for making it to the finals.

Or...go with the sound meter. Everybody knows it's flawed, but audiences seem to have fun with it that way.

valentine
Org Profile

Post by valentine » Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:10 pm

I object to applause meters just because you haven't seen everything yet when you're voting.

Also, if they'd used an applause meter last year, the results for the emotional category would have been completely screwed since my El tango de Eva parody got stuck in it somehow. It's alot easier to be DQ'd because your vid was not emotional and therefore wasn't voted for than to have to alter the results post facto because the room was rocking with laughter.

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:40 pm

valentine wrote:I object to applause meters just because you haven't seen everything yet when you're voting.
Not at AXLA. They showed the entries, and people applauded/cheered as they wished, but it wasn't measured. After the entries for a category had all been shown, then they took readings. (last year they showed 30 or so second recaps to vote on, but this year they just read the video name, which was lame)

AX is ditching the applause meter next year, though, as I recall...
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:48 pm

Yeah, they said the can't rely on it and followed our advice as to ti being outdated. I'm wodnering what they're going to move on to.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:52 pm

I've always thought the applause meter was the most backwards way to judge possible.

That being said, I can't think of any universally "good" way to judge. My favorite way is the AWA Pro way, but pulling that off requires a large, hulking German man, and we've only got one of those around :)
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

Hakura
Org Profile

Post by Hakura » Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:59 pm

:( Applause meter... I hate when videos are judged on that...

Return to “AMV Contests”