Sakura-Con 2003 AMV/OVA Contest

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
valentine
Org Profile

Post by valentine » Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:10 pm

I object to applause meters just because you haven't seen everything yet when you're voting.

Also, if they'd used an applause meter last year, the results for the emotional category would have been completely screwed since my El tango de Eva parody got stuck in it somehow. It's alot easier to be DQ'd because your vid was not emotional and therefore wasn't voted for than to have to alter the results post facto because the room was rocking with laughter.

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:40 pm

valentine wrote:I object to applause meters just because you haven't seen everything yet when you're voting.
Not at AXLA. They showed the entries, and people applauded/cheered as they wished, but it wasn't measured. After the entries for a category had all been shown, then they took readings. (last year they showed 30 or so second recaps to vote on, but this year they just read the video name, which was lame)

AX is ditching the applause meter next year, though, as I recall...
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:48 pm

Yeah, they said the can't rely on it and followed our advice as to ti being outdated. I'm wodnering what they're going to move on to.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:52 pm

I've always thought the applause meter was the most backwards way to judge possible.

That being said, I can't think of any universally "good" way to judge. My favorite way is the AWA Pro way, but pulling that off requires a large, hulking German man, and we've only got one of those around :)
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

Hakura
Org Profile

Post by Hakura » Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:59 pm

:( Applause meter... I hate when videos are judged on that...

CArnesen
Org Profile

Post by CArnesen » Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:34 pm

Ok, I get the feeling that an "applause meter" is getting kinda frowned :( upon. Well, here's the situation and I would like some suggestions:

I have a time block for the AMV/OVA contest... during this time block we need to watch 40 videos, have the audience somehow vote on them, and then after about a 15-20 minute break, announce the winners and hand out the awards.

I have thought about the ballot voting, but I have no clue where I could get a Scantron machine for the night to tally filled in bubble ballots. This would probably be the ideal way of counting the ballots, but like I said, I'm completely open to suggestions.
--Chris ^_^

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sat Oct 05, 2002 6:17 pm

OK, how's about this:

Everyone who goes up to vote gets one piece of card (all peices are identical)
Have a ballot box for each video.
People vote for their fave by putting the card they were given in the box for the video they liked best.
The box contents are weighed.
The "heaviest" amount of votes wins.
If the winner is close to the one in second place then the cards should be counted.

If you have numerous categories then you will have to do this for each category but it will still be quicker in the long run, I think :)

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sat Oct 05, 2002 6:45 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:OK, how's about this:

Everyone who goes up to vote gets one piece of card (all peices are identical)
Have a ballot box for each video.
People vote for their fave by putting the card they were given in the box for the video they liked best.
The box contents are weighed.
The "heaviest" amount of votes wins.
If the winner is close to the one in second place then the cards should be counted.

If you have numerous categories then you will have to do this for each category but it will still be quicker in the long run, I think :)
Hmmm, if several videos are close, then this may not yield accurate results. Another idea (depending on the audiance size) is the have a card or piece of paper for each video (with a different color possibly). This way it's easy for a group of individuals to seperate the piles very fast and only the piles that look to be close have to be quickly counted. Most often only two videos are close so I don't think it would be very hard to identify what pile wins....

Vlad

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sat Oct 05, 2002 6:47 pm

I did specify that if the measurements were close then the cards would have to be counted by hand, which would be the same thing except they are already separated by ballot box.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sat Oct 05, 2002 6:56 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:I did specify that if the measurements were close then the cards would have to be counted by hand, which would be the same thing except they are already separated by ballot box.
Yes but this way only small colored cards are needed rather than 40 ballot boxes which take up a lot or room and are more confussing...

Vlad

Return to “AMV Contests”