Sakura-Con 2003 AMV/OVA Contest

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

Sakura-Con 2003 AMV/OVA Contest

Postby CArnesen » Sun Sep 15, 2002 3:26 pm

Rules are posted, entries are being accepted...

Get the details HERE!
--Chris ^_^
CArnesen

Postby Castor Troy » Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:51 pm

How come Eric's not running the contest next year?
"Vlad, you will not get my new blockbuster video. Sorry bro." - Chemix800, Hollywood Editor
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E

Postby CArnesen » Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:59 pm

Castor Troy wrote:How come Eric's not running the contest next year?

Unfortunitely I have not directly asked Eric his reasons for not coordinating the contest this year, so I could only speculate on the reasons. I understand though that when the Special Events Manager was requesting applications for the position Eric did not apply.
--Chris ^_^
CArnesen

Postby The Wired Knight » Sun Sep 15, 2002 6:53 pm

I'm guessing it was getting a little to stressfull, he was talking about taht last year and every guy who runs these contests admits to a lot of stress. So that's probably why. Either way, thanks for the rules, I sould have one ready to go this year.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.
The Wired Knight

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:29 am

from the rules page:

"Unlike previous years, we have also outgrown the ballot system of voting and will be using an applause meter for voting this year so be sure to stop by and show your support"

Funny thing is that I would of though of it the other way around... Otakon uses ballots and is the second biggest con! Anime Expo uses a meter and the audiance maxes it out making it a toos up in picking the top videos due to the crowed being too big and is even possibly looking at balloting.

Not saying a meter is bad or not a good ideas, it just the way the statement puts it...

Vlad
Vlad G Pohnert

Postby Ikasu » Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:36 am

Vlad...Neccesarily that's not true....If you think about it....If the meter is used correctly it could be the most efficient and best way...Hanging it in the center of the theatre area upon the ceiling would be a pretty accurate way...Then having a receiver to receive the score....BUt this would make it a little bit hard at AX since they have balcony levels....They would have to move the receive a bit forward from the center of the room....It wouldn't make the judging perfect but better then what happened at AX 2002.....But I believe ballot voting is the most efficient way but the most time consuming...
Ikasu

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:51 am

Ikasu wrote:Vlad...Neccesarily that's not true....If you think about it....If the meter is used correctly it could be the most efficient and best way...Hanging it in the center of the theatre area upon the ceiling would be a pretty accurate way...Then having a receiver to receive the score....BUt this would make it a little bit hard at AX since they have balcony levels....They would have to move the receive a bit forward from the center of the room....It wouldn't make the judging perfect but better then what happened at AX 2002.....But I believe ballot voting is the most efficient way but the most time consuming...

I just feel that it you have a ballot, there is more time to think about it and it tend to be more personal and private. Crowed cheers tend to be a spur of the moment thing and gives it away to those undecided. Others tend to join in when the cheers start up as well, in my opinion it's just not the best way to determine the winners for all the catagories. Nothing wrong in using it for some of the catagoreis (Fan Favorate, etc), but not all of them....

Vlad
Vlad G Pohnert

Postby Hitori » Mon Sep 16, 2002 1:47 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:well, in my opinion it's just not the best way to determine the winners for all the catagories. Nothing wrong in using it for some of the catagoreis (Fan Favorate, etc), but not all of them....

Vlad
This is sooooo true!! 8) Fan favorites should use the applause meter, quick and simple. Cheer for the one you liked best!
ImageImage
Hitori

Postby CArnesen » Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:17 pm

Well, unfortunitely we are not going to be allowed a large time slot for the competition this year and are trying to condense where possible. Because of this audible voting was decided. We have also found that many people cannot attend the closing cermonies to find out who the winners are and with the audible voting we will be able to announce winners that night.

BTW, I'm going to make sure I can get a "digital" meter that doesn't "max out." At least, that's what I requested. :?
--Chris ^_^
CArnesen

Postby TaranT » Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:00 am

CArnesen wrote:Well, unfortunitely we are not going to be allowed a large time slot for the competition this year and are trying to condense where possible. Because of this audible voting was decided. We have also found that many people cannot attend the closing cermonies to find out who the winners are and with the audible voting we will be able to announce winners that night...

Will the finalists be announced in advance of the contest? I need about a week to hire my own cheering squad. :twisted:

(199 days to go...)
TaranT

Postby Hitori » Tue Sep 17, 2002 10:07 am

And it's stuff like that..... That almost always taint the meter results... :evil:
ImageImage
Hitori

Postby AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Sep 17, 2002 10:48 am

Both the AX-style audience meter and the Otakon-style single vote paper ballots are flawed in many ways - you just have to decide which you think is the lesser of evils.

[hint: condorcet paper ballots :)]
AbsoluteDestiny

Postby TaranT » Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:09 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:Both the AX-style audience meter and the Otakon-style single vote paper ballots are flawed in many ways - you just have to decide which you think is the lesser of evils.

Exactly my point. And with the sound metering, it doesn't have to be anything like paying for applause. If a group from a local anime club shows up, it's natural that they would help out a friend who has entered the contest. Or maybe there's a group of fanatics for some particular anime (as I saw happen at a previous Sakura-Con contest).

I'd like to see a contest try to handle voting by wireless LAN. The contest sets up a server, and the only people who can vote are those who bring their own wireless-enabled PDAs or laptops. This may be more feasible in the future, but who knows.
TaranT

Postby CArnesen » Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:25 pm

TaranT wrote:I'd like to see a contest try to handle voting by wireless LAN. The contest sets up a server, and the only people who can vote are those who bring their own wireless-enabled PDAs or laptops. This may be more feasible in the future, but who knows.

That would be evil :twisted:, especially since I'm a major WiFi enthusiast. Though it wouldn't be hard to set up a DHCP server and a small web server running a simple voting script. But then you'll have the problem of people complaining, "the Access Point couldn't see my PDA, why not use ballots or an applause meter?" And then we would be at the beginning...

:cry:

Oh well...
--Chris ^_^
CArnesen

Postby jbone » Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:31 pm

Here's a concept: a screening without a contest/winners.
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."
jbone

Next

Return to AMV Contests