Somethin that's been troubling me about AX's contest...

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
TommyRude
Org Profile

Somethin that's been troubling me about AX's contest...

Post by TommyRude » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:57 pm

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that AX 2004's contest featured 3 (that i can remember) videos that were made entirely from game CG even though the rules specifically say those aren't allowed? (I know one other person is but he won't be named since he said he didn' wanna be the one to bring it up.)
Who's to blame, the people who send in the videos without reading the rules, the judges for not knocking them out before they went to pre-judging, or the democratic process that made them finalists afterward?
Thoughts?
"I see no reason to have patience wit morons..."
"Have I mentioned how much I loathe fangirls?"
Master of the 30 second bumper.
a-m-v.org's resident asshole and thinly veiled Eminem ripoff.

jbone
Org Profile

Re: Somethin that's been troubling me about AX's contest...

Post by jbone » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:23 am

TommyRude wrote:Is anyone else bothered by the fact that AX 2004's contest featured 3 (that i can remember) videos that were made entirely from game CG even though the rules specifically say those aren't allowed? (I know one other person is but he won't be named since he said he didn' wanna be the one to bring it up.)
Who's to blame, the people who send in the videos without reading the rules, the judges for not knocking them out before they went to pre-judging, or the democratic process that made them finalists afterward?
Thoughts?
The contest coordinator (or the person responsible for initially screening the videos, if that individual is not the contest coordinator) is at fault for not immediately rejecting the videos upon receipt.

That was easy. Next question?
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

KoJiRoHx
Org Profile

Post by KoJiRoHx » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:30 am

Contest coordinators as well. Entire CG videos were shown last yr as well.
A personal style is like a handwriting, it happens as the byproduct of our way of seeing things, enriched by the experiences of everything around us.

=Massimo Vignelli=

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:14 pm

i was thinking about that. I don't have a copy of the rules, but it was definatly odd, cause i thought that you couldn't enter videos with game footage :| it would definatly be the coordinators fault but ultimatly, it is their decision to allow or deny a video :|

Pwolf

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:25 am

I'm ok with it just as long as my ps2 ripping guide is being put to good use. 8)
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

TommyRude
Org Profile

Post by TommyRude » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:42 am

I think the whole situation sucks, to be honest.

1, the rules said "This is not a video game or live action music video contest."

2, I think 3D videos have an unfair advantage as long as large groups of viewers are in charge of judging.

3, just me personally, I think the vast majority of these videos suck.Hell, both of those Kindom Hearts videos looked like the same damn video.
"I see no reason to have patience wit morons..."
"Have I mentioned how much I loathe fangirls?"
Master of the 30 second bumper.
a-m-v.org's resident asshole and thinly veiled Eminem ripoff.

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:01 am

I am slightly irritated that they excepted them. Really I don't care if people make videos and submit them if they are video game footage but if the con says no video game footage then they should hold to it.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

ProphetDK
Org Profile

Post by ProphetDK » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:50 am

all I can say is that last year they actually stated that they changed the rule for the Contest to allow VG footage to be used in the AMV contest. Now they did not say that is was going to carry over to this year and I did not see if the rule had changed back from 2003 to 2004. but I know it was in the FaQ last year.

Fungie½
Org Profile

Post by Fungie½ » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:24 pm

I think that if the coordinators want to make an exception, they can. After all, they're the ones who wrote the rules, so they can bend them.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:02 pm

Fungie½ wrote:I think that if the coordinators want to make an exception, they can. After all, they're the ones who wrote the rules, so they can bend them.
I disagree. By having the rule it stops many people from potentially entering. Allowing people who do not read the rules to have their videos entered is a slap in the face to all those who didnt send videos in because they were obeying the rules.

ADDITIONAL rules may be added (if applied fairly to all entrants) in order to filter videos that didnt break any actual rules but are inappropriate in some other manner but rules should not be removed at a later date as it is unfair on the entrants who followed them.

Return to “AMV Contests”