AWA 10 Anime Music Video Contest Rules (Cliff's Notes)

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:58 am

From Master's rule page
Long version of the Master's rules wrote:NEW: Because online contests have expanded beyond any one person's ability to keep up with them, awards given via online contests are not eligible for this qualification. This is in no way meant as a slight against online contests, but rather an acknowledgement that if someone made up a fictional or rigged contest we'd never heard of online to give themselves an award, we'd be none the wiser.
Since these rules appear definitive this is probably a stupid question but I felt like I needed to ask anyways... Does this include the AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewer's Choice Awards? It is probally the most well known online amv contest and it wouldn't seem to fit the
if someone made up a fictional or rigged contest we'd never heard of online to give themselves an award, we'd be none the wiser.
part which the new rule is based on.

temaranight
Org Profile

Post by temaranight » Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:23 pm

Send us your award-winning video along with your Master’s submission, along with the name of the award won. This is your “qualifying” video that lets you enter the Master’s contest.
I'm going to ask a stupid question here but how do you want us to name the file of the qualifying vid to make sure it's known as just that and not the masters vid? Tag qualifying and masters onto the file name of each respective video is what I'd think ..but just asking to make sure it's done right...

madmallard
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:06 am

Either actually naming the file/putting in a seperate named directory, or including a text file, or if physically submitting, a sheet of notebook paper will suffice.
Main Events Director Anime Weekend Atlanta, Kawaii-kon

MCWagner
Org Profile

Post by MCWagner » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:29 pm

This ougtta teach me to leave the internet alone for a weekend! I wander off for a few days and when I come back y'all are full of questions! Anyway...

[quote= "TaranT"]
Maybe it makes sense to add a rule that the vid can't be listed ( :?: ). While it's impossible to search every site on the Web, the Org's d/b is unique as a concentrated source of AMV information. Or maybe it's not worth worrying about since complete and absolute "blindness" may not be achievable in the general sense. And the current system seems to work well enough. [/quote]

Essentially, it would be overkill to make this a rule. It's certainly a suggestion, and I'd advise anyone thinking of entering from doing exactly as you say and refraining from putting up the info until after the contest, but enforcing it would be rather tyrranical of us. I barely have the time to set up the contests as it is...much less browse the index close to con time, so it's hardly a concern on my part. Other judges might encounter it accidentally, though. We're trying on our end to remain "blinded" to the entries, so it would be a one in a million chance if one of our judges happened upon a contestant accidentally.

As for the life action stuff....if you think it would have a chance of winning Master's, go ahead. Considering that this is an AMV contest with but a single winner, that would be a bit like a cat winning at a dog show. The "trailers" though are just fine. Despite the fact they aren't really technically anime music videos, the whole genre has pretty much been adopted into the AMV scene.

The Viewer's Choice awards was a question that Patrick brought up as well. This is kinda a touchy area. When the rules were first written up there wasn't any such thing as an online contest. The rules were written to try and limit the competitors to a certain level of expertise, since there were only so many convention-run contests out there, and they all aspired to a certain level or higher, and the more experienced makers wanted to compete without stepping on the new guy's toes. Now, with all the online contests out there, the scale's kinda outta whack. Some contests are really great, some are very similar to convention contests, but others become difficult to compare... some contests are run among a small group of friends (competitors and judges), and some run with weirdly exclusive criteria (pick the subject matter, video source, etc). Rather than try and evaluate different contests on some sort of quality scale, dis individual contests and approve of others (like AMVers need more divisive infighting) it was decided just to exclude "online contests" altogether. The Viewer's choice contest could be argued as an exception, since it's the contest run at the nexus of the hobby. If anything qualified, it would.

But to do that would be pretty hypocritical of us. We said "online contests" so we have to mean it. Therefore, the Viewer's Choice Awards are not eligable for qualifying for Master's.

As far as naming the file, that's not a real problem. Quu does the final "blinding" of the entries before they come to me, and he's not one of the Judges. All I ever see are a list of entry numbers.

Boy, bunches of questions on Master's already!

The rest of the stuff TJ pretty much fielded.
Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheueren Ungeziefer verwandelt.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:41 am

OK. One last question.

Does winning an Iron Chef at a con count as winning a con AMV contest? :shock:
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

AMV_4000
Org Profile

Post by AMV_4000 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:48 am

SQ wrote:OK. One last question.

welll seeing as who you beat was a pathedic amv creator... i would say most likely no...

MCWagner
Org Profile

Post by MCWagner » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:00 pm

Hmmmm..........

Yes. It's a contest at a con, so it qualifies. Again, not what was intended at the creation of the rules, but I'm doing my best not to make any exceptions.
Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheueren Ungeziefer verwandelt.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:00 pm

This is a pretty touchy matter I imagine. I know this is gonna come across as somewhat prick-ish of me, but was it "official" and run by Quu and sponsored by ExpertDV or another corporate sponsor?

I guess the word "official" could be misconstrued, but all I can say from experience is that prior to winning at Otakon, Quu openly invited me to compete in Masters immediately after winning Iron Chef at Anime Central in 2003. This was obviously run by him and an "official" convention event, so he had no problems inviting me...he was there at the event as were hundreds of convention goers.

I don't mean to say one has more validity than the other (i.e. I'm not saying "my win is better than yours nyah nyah"), but from my experiences, I know that Quu is fine with Iron Chef victories at Anime Central, Fanime and AWA (the three he runs) since he's there and can vouch for the event taking place. I guess it's similar to online contests in that it's harder for him to validate that you won without him being there (i.e. what Wagner said about peers and judging).

It was a moot point in my case since I picked up a few awards prior to AWA, but hopefully this is somewhat helpful. I doubt it though :cry:
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:01 pm

MCWagner wrote:

Hmmmm..........

Yes. It's a contest at a con, so it qualifies. Again, not what was intended at the creation of the rules, but I'm doing my best not to make any exceptions.
Damnit, why did you reply while I was typing my response? ;_;
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

MCWagner
Org Profile

Post by MCWagner » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:02 pm

Whoa, simultaneous answer....

Return to “AMV Contests”