Anime Central 2004 AMV Contest Results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Thu May 20, 2004 9:54 pm

It was a great contest and some great choices for winners, including mine :) Congratulations to the winners and the honorable mentions :)
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Re: Anime Central 2004 AMV Contest Results

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Fri May 21, 2004 1:45 am

SailorDeath wrote: Best of Show: Alternate Eva Openting: Eva Bebop by Scintilla, Peter J. Tom-Wolverton
Honorable Mention: Chuunin Combat by Songbird 21
Honorable Mention: Love is a Battlefield by Vlad G. Pohnert
wow... I'm glad that someone still likes 80s music and old anime :wink:

Vlad[/quote]

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Fri May 21, 2004 2:55 am

AtomX wrote:Okay! Finally got my ACen video up. TaranT, could you add the link to the contest site please? Thanks!
Got it.

Also added links for SailorDeath, dW, ck25, babyvash, and updated godix's link.

outlawed
Org Profile

Re: Anime Central 2004 AMV Contest Results

Post by outlawed » Sun May 23, 2004 9:09 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote: Honorable Mention: Love is a Battlefield by Vlad G. Pohnert
wow... I'm glad that someone still likes 80s music and old anime :wink:
Nothing wrong with 80s music.

Actually your vid impressed me since I consider that song very cheesy. Mad props on a job well done. Did you know you entered that in action? I felt it was a drama vid since you did not focus on action but the characters instead.

outlawed
Org Profile

Post acen

Post by outlawed » Sun May 23, 2004 10:44 am

Acen is over so I will now do a cut & paste.

Acen was great again this year. Went to several enjoyable panels. Picked up some newtype backissues over at the asahiya bookstore. Enjoyed the fine food over at Kitakata several times. Picked up some megami mags
and some quality artbooks at the dealer's room. The con had another set of JP guests that I wanted to see, so I was very happy. Now if only they could get Keiji Goto in sometime. Why was there a block in the video programming schedule with Cosplay Complex listed as 18+ ?!?! At any rate, it was great to put some faces to names at the con and I enjoyed meeting several people in person. If you have a livejournal and I don't have you down on my list let me know. This was also the first year for Acen's contest that I didn't submit anything due to various reasons but it did allow me to experience the contest and amv activities from a different perspective I think. I was and am still working on the video I did not complete in time so I will make sure to send it to AWA. Now on with the AMV's.

AMV Contest
---------------
Great contest. Everything went quite well and anyone who had complaints about prior years should have been very happy this year. Julius and his staff did an excellent job. Special congrats to Quu as well for his hard work over several years. My personal advice to entrants is to remember that everybody wants to make a drama entry and usually does. There were many great entries but I noticed a terrible trend of people mis-classifying their videos. If you are attempting and/or showing me any segment where you focus on characters, their emotions, or any abstract feeling or theme then you are no longer an action video.

Just thought I'd tag in a few comments below about some vids I really enjoyed. Go check them out if you get the chance.

Thanks for entertaining me
-------------------------------
Cowboy Bebop/EVA MAD OP was executed perfectly.

Gundam 0083 to "Love is a Battlefield" was great overall.

Big O to "Horndog" kept the hits coming consistently for the whole vid.

Now and Then Here and There to "Consequences" had a flaw with the use of the history channel audio but the rest worked good.

Goldenboy to "Unwell" did a great job (I wonder if they read the manga or any other of Egao Tatsuya's works) but please go back and make those overlays with mattes so they aren't transparent (this video is worth all that extra effort).

Metropolis to "Destroy She Said (De Donatis Remix)" was very intriguing and had some interesting transitions I liked.

Cowboy Bebop to the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme" was a great WTF video (I certainly hope that was the creator's intent).

Kiddy Grade to "Battle Of Fire (female chours version)" went for the overkill effect. I liked it but not as much as the Big O one since the Kiddy Grade video is was what I like to call sensory overload. Too much speed up, transitioning, and overlay to effectively hold consistent action where the viewer can distinguish what's happening. Plus the biggest downside of this is that you don't see the details since Kiddy Grade like most TV shows is detail > animation frames.

lilgumba
Org Profile

Post by lilgumba » Tue May 25, 2004 12:42 pm

those links to the videos make it easier to download. sweet! gotta watch 'em all. :twisted:

JCD
Lord of the Dance
Org Profile

Re: Post acen

Post by JCD » Tue May 25, 2004 3:39 pm

outlawed wrote: Kiddy Grade to "Battle Of Fire (female chours version)" went for the overkill effect. I liked it but not as much as the Big O one since the Kiddy Grade video is was what I like to call sensory overload. Too much speed up, transitioning, and overlay to effectively hold consistent action where the viewer can distinguish what's happening. Plus the biggest downside of this is that you don't see the details since Kiddy Grade like most TV shows is detail > animation frames.
Hell yeah :P
Somehow I take this more as a compliment because I just love such overloaded videos and have fun creating those, hearing that it was like an overkill makes me happy heheh
I guess if you like it or not is a thing of taste which is all good ;)

Thanks for mentioning it, I enjoy to read what people thought at the con :)

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Re: Post acen

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Tue May 25, 2004 11:13 pm

outlawed wrote:Now and Then Here and There to "Consequences" had a flaw with the use of the history channel audio but the rest worked good.
Really? Most people thought that was the high point. If you're talking about technical issues, I don't see what was wrong. I ripped it from DVD and used Besweet to convert the .ac3 to .mp3 so it would work with the project. It did disrupt the flow a little bit, but I was aiming more for meaning than action. But you're entitled your opinion, if that is indeed what you're expressing. ^_^
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Return to “AMV Contests”