AXNY Winners

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:09 pm

Apparently the last person in my family to have red hair like me was my paternal great grandfather, and he never went bald! woohoo! :D

Although apparently he went pure white in his early twenties. :shock: So I'm just sitting here waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak. 8)

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:54 pm

Odorikuruu Killer?

[pulls out eraser... *squeak squeak*]

Odorikuruu TRIBUTE! Yes, that sounds better and probably won't get me cooked... ^_^

Anyways, to get to what ErMaC was saying, I agree on a good number of what he's mentioned about AMVs. What truely knocks me down laughing is that the "average" amv editor is a DBZ editor. Look at the stats on this site and try to tell me I'm wrong... How many people out of all the editors here did a DBZ video?

One disagreement I have with you though is about the Downloaded footage deal. Something of merit I'd say. Downloaded dbz footage? Yes, it sucks about 101% of the time. Digisubbers these days are getting MUCH better at encodes and are releasing some extremely high quality stuff. Sure there are subs, but the truly patient and skilled can find ways around them...

About my thoughts on amv creation? Yes, I make amvs for competition. Yes I love it if or when I win. What's wrong with that? I know there are some people like that poor girl who mentioned videos shown first never win. At karate tournaments it's VERY HARD for someone going first to win since that person's skill may very well equal the last person's skill in the lineup but judges think more carefully on the last "ah, the final one" entry than the first ones. It's called a human attention span and nobody's is eternal. Same for judging other events. I however won't overreact and say this video royally sucks and that one deserves to win or something. To be honest, I'm not sure I'm qualified to say such statements. Let's hear Brad Demoss, Kevin Caldwell, or Duane Johnson speak. I'm sure they'd have something interesting to say. ^_^

I'm surprised by the amount of GREAT video editors I've been seeing pop up. Yes, there's lots of "bad to mediocre" amvs and editors but hey, in life, there's balance. Don't worry about what the bad people do. They will learn in time what to do. Some are slower than others. (Took me 5 tries to get something decently popular ;_;) Let's not worry about the bad videos. In time, they'll die out and stop appearing.

What I'm waiting for is for the time when EVERYONE will no longer suck. I'm just not sure how many lifetimes I'll have to wait... :lol:

I like amvs. We shouldn't consider what others do/think unless it physically/mentally/spiritually harms our well being. So he made a crappy DBZ video, who cares!! It probably won't win anything and will be forgetten within a day.

The trick is I want to see superb videos from the new and old alike. I wonder what Jay R. Locke is doing now? I'm also wondering what ErMac's next vid is since I've opinionated quite a number of his videos and always look forward to his works. Doki Doki is legendary as well, though all of the awesome video creators I've seen also have an overdeveloped sense of modesty.

And that my friends, is good.

If I didn't mention your name as a legendary creator, I'm sorry but all this typing is hurting my skull and fingertips...

Enjoy AMVS PEOPLE! THEY ARE HERE FOR OUR ENJOYMENT AND FOR OUR WELL BEING! :D
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:15 am

I'm probably going to regret poking my head into this discussion, but what the heck.

First off, the AXNY video competition. I was one of the tech crew running it, and privy to some of what happened with the planning and set-up. The original plan was to have the staff preview the entries and pick out the ones to go on and be screened at the convention and decided on by the full audience. However, there weren't as many entries as expected, so everything got shown. Don't know anything about the order- that was the order that we were told to show them in. Personally, I think that it would have been a good idea to break it up so that all of a person's videos didn't get shown together. Also, part of why Jen was so upset was understandable, and a mistake that I wish we could have avoided- we had a SVCD with a bunch of previous entries to show as filler, and one of them (the last one that was shown) was Proxy's Phantom Techno Remix to Memories video- and the first of Jen's videos in queue was also done using Phantom. This was far from planned, and the older Phantom video being the last filler shown was simply a function of when we ended up being ready to start the actual competition, but it's something that I know I'll be watching out for to keep from happening if I'm ever involved in running an AMV competition again.

As for music video creation... I've pretty much only seen the videos that were shown at AXNY this year, having been rather cut off from the anime world as of late, but if that was any indication, there just weren't as many that made me, well, want to watch them. Maybe there were always that many, well, mediocre videos entered but they didn't make the final cut, I don't know, but looking down the list there are only maybe a dozen or so that I really want to get copies of.

The AXNY AMV contest was almost entirely drama- there were literally almost as many vids in the drama category as there were action and comedy combined, and I thought that it really dragged things down. That's definitely my own personal opinion, and admittedly a bit hypocritical, as two of the five vids we've made would fall into the 'drama' category. Despite that, I do much prefer either action or comedy, too many angsty or depressing videos in a row just isn't my bag...

When I started making AMVs, it was purely because we had an idea that we couldn't -not- make. We had finished at least two videos before we realized that people actually made these for competition and not just for their own enjoyment and to entertain others. This thread ties in a bit to another- whether or not you still watch/enjoy your first video. I think that as long as you enjoy watching a video after making a few more and improving in skill (and possibly taste) and are still proud of the effort, it's worthwhile. Having other people appaud them and enjoy them is simply icing on the cake.
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:33 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:Hey...wait a minute, maybe we can start an exclusive AMV creator club for all those with gray hair.... Nind you I think if would be a very small membership size at the moment seeing the avarage age of everyone....
Auuuhhh, to be young again....

Vlad
HUSH, YOU!!! :lol: :cry: :lol: :cry: :lol: :cry:

I was only introduced to AMV's in 2000, and I've only been to three cons, but I've seen excellent vids at every single one. Sure, there's a lot of mediocre stuff out there, but that's true everywhere in life.
Every time I exchange vid collections with someone at a lan, or go to a con, there are always a few gems to be discovered.

Some of you folks (you know who you are) have done such a good job working through the technical intricacies of processing high quality video, that almost anyone can load up footage and try to make a video. You can thank/blame yourselves for the influx of new creators.

They/we/I WILL get better, or eventully drop the hobby, most likely. It could all get VERY interesting in a couple years, when all the new people who continue to make AMV's have another year or two's worth of completed vids under their belt. That's the kind of experience that no guide can teach.

It's all going to turn out fine, just you wait & see.

Big Big Truck
Org Profile

Popping out of my AWA-thread-only lurk mode:

Post by Big Big Truck » Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:24 pm

AbsoluteDestiny:
...attempt to level the playing field so everyone can have the same opportunity for making good videos. This leaves everything to the individual talent of the creator rather than the technical prowess - which is how it should be in my mind.
...[we] can at least take audiovisual technical aspects out of the equation when judging good videos.
I agree completely. Anything that helps someone achieve their creative vision is good, in my opinion. If someone wants to know how to mix paint, play the violin, or draw a figure, they can get help in the form of online guides, books, classes, etc. People should feel encouraged to learn.
Why should it be any different for video editing?

Scott Melzer:
I've heard a lot of people calling this "The Year of the Slump."
Heh. I know what you mean. In my case, it's mostly because of the fact that I work at a computer doing graphics (and goofing off while waiting for work) 8 hours a day and don't really care to bathe in the monitor's light by night as well.
Another reason is that lately, I only get interested enough to actually edit if I'm editing an anime I really connect with or feel strongly about. There's very little anime like that out there. I've already used half of it up; the rest, I'm waiting for the DVD release...

But aside from that, it's also because I've gotten a little intimidated by the AMV community. Both the huge influx of newbies AND the respected veterans. The following is just my experience. Please don't take it as speaking for anyone else:
As for the former: The AMV community has had a real population explosion, and I guess I feel a little lost. That and my musical tastes and my weird sense of humour kind of leave me in my own little niche on Mars when I edit. I'm a bit reluctant to share my newer videos for fear of giving an impression that I'm a total nutjob.
(Yes, I do know that 'you shouldn't care what other people think', but I was born to entertain, so this does matter to me, to a degree. Viewers should at least be able to make some sort of mental connection when viewing a video.)

As for the latter: In addition, I do get a little paranoid. There was one video I put my heart and soul into last year... I realized it didn't innovate in any way; didn't really challenge anyone. I kind of felt obligated to push some boundaries, but... I'd put a lot of love into that video, and I admit that I got scared that the video that was dearest to me would get bashed by more experienced or skilled editors for being a "sellout".

So lately, I've been vacillating between "no one will get this... but I like it" and "this is so un-innovative and self-indulgent... but I like it." It's both win-win and lose-lose.

Regarding AMVs in general, I still stand by what I've said before: if you want to make it, make it. If you want to do it, do it. (Don't dream it, be it!) Even if it means pairing Goku and Vegeta with Staind, or Oscar Francois de Jarjeyes with Conjunto Rumbavana.*
Even if this means that there are 1,000 new DBZ videos that are all alike, guess what - it also means that there are 1,000 results of someone exercising their creativity and having fun. As long as no one forces me to watch them, I think it's great.

In conclusion, I just want to say that the idea of Bebop paired with West Side Story is currently frightening the HELL out of me, because I'm imagining Jet Black leaping around and singing "when you're a Jet".

Stupid, stupid brain. :x

* (no, I am not actually doing this.)
(insert fannishly mangled rap lyric here)

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Re: Popping out of my AWA-thread-only lurk mode:

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:45 pm

Big Big Truck wrote:(Don't dream it, be it!)
'Give yourself over to Absolute pleasure' :)

There's not really much more I can add to what EK just said. I'll just add my affirmation by nodding profusely

*nod nod nod*

jbone
Org Profile

Re: Popping out of my AWA-thread-only lurk mode:

Post by jbone » Mon Sep 09, 2002 6:47 pm

Big Big Truck wrote:Stupid, stupid brain. :x
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

OtakuOutpost
Org Profile

Post by OtakuOutpost » Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:19 pm

What amazes me about competitions is that the same rehashed conversation comes out of the end of each one of them.

The same people preach the same morals over and over again and we hear the same arguments about what AMV competitions are really about. Meanwhile, competition after competition, the only videos that are recognized are sellout concepts.

I'm bored with AMV watching now and pissed off at all the competitions, so why bother anymore? The dialog on this site is the same bickering that we've heard in the community for the last 5 years and there will never be an end to it.

To think that there's nothing left to do is lame. To say there's so many people making AMV's that it's impossible to come up with a new concept is really lame. The problem is the lack of creative thinking on peoples part.

People make amv's by listening to music and going, "hmmm... ya know that sounds a lot like this anime! I'll make a music video to it" That's why you see nothing but the same rehashed crap over and over again.

Think outside the NORM.

I've got about 30 concepts I've got floating in my head right now for videos unlike anything anybody else has tried yet. If I had less of a life, I might be able to get them done. As it is I will have to continue working at the breakneck pace of 1 video a year.

People who pump out 6 to 10 videos a year should die (alone).

--Tony

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:25 pm

OtakuOutpost wrote:I'm bored with AMV watching now and pissed off at all the competitions, so why bother anymore? The dialog on this site is the same bickering that we've heard in the community for the last 5 years and there will never be an end to it.
5 years? I've only really paid attention to this for about 8 months and I'm already getting tired of much of this. :-P
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:45 pm

OtakuOutpost wrote:What amazes me about competitions is that the same rehashed conversation comes out of the end of each one of them.

The same people preach the same morals over and over again and we hear the same arguments about what AMV competitions are really about. Meanwhile, competition after competition, the only videos that are recognized are sellout concepts.
What exacly do you consider a sellout concept? Just wondering what your definition is?
OtakuOutpost wrote:I'm bored with AMV watching now and pissed off at all the competitions, so why bother anymore? The dialog on this site is the same bickering that we've heard in the community for the last 5 years and there will never be an end to it.

To think that there's nothing left to do is lame. To say there's so many people making AMV's that it's impossible to come up with a new concept is really lame. The problem is the lack of creative thinking on peoples part.
I agree with the bickering, but that will NEVER go away since it exists in all walks of life. It's a human thing unfortunatly. I hear it in clubs, at cons, during competitions, at work, etc, etc... Sad but one just has to deal with it since escaping it is impossible...
OtakuOutpost wrote:People make amv's by listening to music and going, "hmmm... ya know that sounds a lot like this anime! I'll make a music video to it" That's why you see nothing but the same rehashed crap over and over again.

Think outside the NORM.

I've got about 30 concepts I've got floating in my head right now for videos unlike anything anybody else has tried yet. If I had less of a life, I might be able to get them done. As it is I will have to continue working at the breakneck pace of 1 video a year.
Well, it is a hobbly so I think people can do what every they want and we should have to pressure them into anything. Yes, I agree with better quality videos for contests, but it's kind of like the film industry where there are so many lame films and only a handfull of gems each year. I myself try many different kinds of concepts that may or may not be accepted (Just watch my lastest video). Personally I agree in trying something new, but that does not mean the concept must be "revolutionary" or compleatly new. I think if the video is sound and well done it can be just as good (Your videos this year were good solid drama, but not "revolutionary"...)

OtakuOutpost wrote:People who pump out 6 to 10 videos a year should die (alone).

--Tony
Sorry Tong, I find that statement way too generalized. I would rather see 6 - 10 good videos from someone rather than 2 bad videos...

Yes, I agree to take the time and do a good job, but some people do nothing but videos all year and can produce a large quantity... Yes, maybe 10 videos is too much, but where do you actually draw the line as to how many videos / year should be done in order to make good ones???

Vlad

Return to “AMV Contests”