AXNY Winners

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Kai Stromler
Org Profile

Post by Kai Stromler » Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:12 pm

I don't think there's a need to apologize for this discussion. I know I've learned a lot by getting a free peek into the heads of some of the top people in the scene, and it seems like a lot of the things in this thread really needed to be said at some point, in order to really confront this 'year of slump' issue. If it's as prevalent an impression as it seems, it needed to be confronted sooner or later; better here than IRL where tone of voice and body language mess things up, and the range of opinions is limited to who's around to hear.

It's not that good videos aren't being made, or that good creators suddenly suck. It's that interest in AMVs has exploded, both among [potential] creators and in the general anime community, and as a result, there are a LOT more people showing at a LOT more cons, and even more posting their work online.

I think a lot of the hard feelings that people have come from frustration at this; they KNOW there's good stuff out there, but it's being drowned by all the dross. There ARE good videos on the AWA Pro tapes that I slag on off and on; do I remember them? Yeah, bits and pieces, the cool concepts that stick. But what sticks more are the bad ones, videos with no attempt at motion synch, with mouths flapping every which way regardless of the song content, with pixels the size of your arm. Not individual videos, but a general impression of widespread suckitude, which casts an unfairly bad light on the good videos in the contest.

Unfortunately, that gets carried away as well as the few good impressions. It's not that there's no 'good' anymore, it's just that there's a lot more 'bad' now, and it's a lot more visible.

--Kai
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
CHOPWORK - abominations of maceration
skywide, armspread : forward, upward
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available

Scott A Melzer
Org Profile

Post by Scott A Melzer » Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:49 pm

Actually, I wasn't trying to appologize for the discussion. I was appologizing if anyone took what I'd said as a "Slap in the face." I truly didn't think that I came across that way, but apparently Joe did and so others might, and just wanted my intentions to be clear.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:47 pm

Scott,
No reason to feel stupid man... I just wanted to point out how it kinda sounded like. I wasn't hurt by what you said, but I was bothered by what you said since many might take offense to it and some did. You know me and if I am really pissed at someone they get a NASTY post usually heh, but I have changed my ways. I also really don't feel I took what you said too much out of context Scott, and other people got from the post what I did as well. I know how ya feel about the current status of amvs and I felt the same way when I was watching the AWA Pro contest tapes, but nobody is perfect and I try to remind myself people are doing this to have fun not to be professionals or artists always.

I just think the way you put it came off the wrong way I think and we have all done that in the past... that or maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say, but when I saw the "we're" part at the end it looked like you were speaking for everyone. If that isn't what you meant that is all cool man... and I really doubt you meant it that way, but it read like the gospel according to Scott (hehe I am so kidding here lol). As far as our history, it is just that and let it die in the past.

Peace out
Joe
Scott A Melzer wrote:Woah...

Boy, do I feel really stupid now.

Joe, I'm sorry if anything that I said came across as hurtful or mean. No, I wasn't "blowing off steam." If anything, all I felt was tired and a bit sad. I certainly didn't mean to say anything that was a "slap in the face" to people. I thought I was expressing myself clearly, but I guess not. I do think that you took much of what I said out of context (for instance, I never said that there haven't been any good videos since Bobby's, I just didn't want to write an exhaustive list), but I also understand that I'm not the best at expressing what I mean. We have a history of rubbing each other the wrong way. I've no interest in revisiting that. I don't want to not get along with ANYONE. It's no fun.

I didn't mean to spark this huge discussion. I still love AMVs, and have just been disappointed lately. In my work, in what I'm seeing at cons, etc. On the other hand, I have also seen some of the best stuff that I've seen in years. Some videos manage to use effects extremely well. I thought that Ian's "Shameless Rock Video" was a beautiful blend of concept AND effect. There have been others, but I don't want to waste everyone's time.

I've heard a lot of people calling this "The Year of the Slump." I've overheard creators, people at cons, people at panels, people online. I am just continuing my thoughts on this, not trying to insult everyone. I'm sorry if anyone took it that way. I was utterly shocked that Joe took my words to be hurtful and full of anger. I was exhausted and sad. There was honestly no anger whatsoever in me.

It's exactly this type of flare-up that happens that drives us apart. So, I'm appologizing. I hope that we all either "pull out of this slump" or that I'm just incredibly wrong and it's just my opinion and there IS no slump. And I hope no one was offended. Of COURSE to each his own. Of COURSE opinions vary. That's why we're not all making the same video, using the same music, using the same footage. If I even slightly implied that I thought different, then I'm shocked. Yes, I was originally very upset at Joe for "taking me out of context" and "twisting my words" but I went back and re-read my post and understand how he could have taken it that way. I want to be a "peace maker" not a "flame starter." *sigh*

Peace out. Best to everyone.

Scott A Melzer
Org Profile

Post by Scott A Melzer » Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:14 pm

Good. Glad you understand what I meant, if not what I said.

Just was very shocked by how hard you seemed to have taken it. To me, that was a pretty nasty post. If they get nastier, well, I definately don't want to see one!

I definately made a big mistake in saying "We're." I meant to include myself, showing that I thought that I was also doing mediocre work, that I wasn't saying, "You." I've been very public against people speaking for everyone. It's A) Wrong and B) wildly inaccurate.

Everything stated was just my opinion and it looks like I had a few unfortunate word choices that gave completely the wrong impression. I didn't notice anyone else getting upset though.

Does anyone else feel that there's a slump? Am I completely off base here? I've heard several people talk about it at Otakon and other cons. To be perfectly honest (I think I made this point), I only saw the Drama videos at AXNY. Had to leave. I'm not speaking of AXNY in specific, but vids in general. I certainly haven't seen everything.

It's all opinion. I thought I made that clear that it was just my opinion. There will certainly be people who think that this is the greatest year ever for AMVs.

Raynovac
Org Profile

Post by Raynovac » Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:33 pm

I dont spend much time on the boards and i have only been making AMVs since last winter but here is my 2 bits.

Bad/mediocre Videos are made because they are well planned and/or not enough time spent

Some people are more concerned about ego than art so instead of trying to tell a side story of an anime or an analysis of an anime, its a who is better using pretty lights, wise cracks and blood

wow that was only 2

but pretty much thats what i think in the short version.

Long version

Time is what is needed the most and a certian amount of humbleness. I try to work out an idea completely on paper before touching the mouse, because i dont feel any pressure of getting a video in before a deadline such as AWA or AX. I could have sent one of my better ones in but wanted to work on it more and didnt do a mad rush to finish. I ended up entering it into a small con and got into finals there. For me it was no big deal but for other people, AWA or AX was more important than finishing a good video thoroughly. All a video needs it time, patience, planning, and a need to entertain and tell a story.

The Xenos
Org Profile

Post by The Xenos » Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:15 am

Ah. First time on the boards. I once tried to make a video, but my HD died before I could export it well. So I'm just really a collector and viewer of AMVs.

Anyway, I was at AXNY and jsut wanted to post my comments. I only got to see the winners during the masqurade. Personally, for best overall I liked Beboppin' a bit better than the West Side Bebop comedy winner. As for Bebopin's category, I dunno if I would relaly classify bebop as just action. Then again drama doesn't seem right. If there was a 'cool dance' category... heh.

Also, my friend pointed out that the end of teh Smash Brothers action one mimiced MGS2 with Raiden and Snake back to back. He pointed out that he had a bandana on like Snake. Plus I really enjoyed the B/W intro to that.

Also, AXNY overall seemed a bit unorganized, so I'm not too surprized if the AMV contest was too. It wasn't too bad, I sitll enjoyed myself alot, but some things like the maqurade and the signings seemed a bit rough.

-Xenos

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:38 am

MaboroshiStudio wrote: Everyone connects differently, that is to be expected, and I agree with you on liking the video not the creator. People are caught up in too much fan worship and overlook the merits of a video I say. Then again, with anything you create you always run the risk of people not understanding it, but as I stated the most important thing is if you enjoyed making the video and are proud of it. I think expectations have become really high and sometimes people just want to have fun not. These are just anime music videos so have some fun...
Yes, I fully agree... WOW, we both agree on something...

MaboroshiStudio wrote:I was pretty reserved in stating my opinion here Vlad... I don't think you saw how I was back in the day where I was known for putting in a bunch of snappy low blows into a post. I had a problem with what Scott said and voiced my concern in a reserved manner imho that is all.
Sound about right Joe, as you get older your starting to calm down. Think of it this way, when you get to my age you should be fully mellowed down! Funny what age does to a person.... Have you checked for any gray hairs lately????

Vlad

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:52 am

hahah you want to taste my fury Vlad?!? I think I have some venom left for someone since I have been saving it up :twisted: lol, but yeah I am trying to live down my past behaviour and becoming a model old school amv creator I guess. I do see some gray in my bread of late doh... and I am only 27.
Vlad G Pohnert wrote: Sound about right Joe, as you get older your starting to calm down. Think of it this way, when you get to my age you should be fully mellowed down! Funny what age does to a person.... Have you checked for any gray hairs lately????

Vlad

dji
Org Profile

Post by dji » Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:09 pm

Kai Stromler wrote: I think a lot of the hard feelings that people have come from frustration at this; they KNOW there's good stuff out there, but it's being drowned by all the dross. There ARE good videos on the AWA Pro tapes that I slag on off and on; do I remember them? Yeah, bits and pieces, the cool concepts that stick. But what sticks more are the bad ones, videos with no attempt at motion synch, with mouths flapping every which way regardless of the song content, with pixels the size of your arm. Not individual videos, but a general impression of widespread suckitude, which casts an unfairly bad light on the good videos in the contest.
Kai I think you sum it up well. What I've been seeing is lack of middle ground for these contests.. and yes.. the drama category has been overwhelmed. I think this year's Otakon contest enteries were 47% for drama. That's a frigging lot!

The thing I've see the most is the editing has gotten better, and the storyline/content is left behind.. and I'm seeing a lot of that in a recent AMV contest. A lot of "good/well-edited/lacking storyline or content" videos.. and the videos are not consistent. The biggest indication for me.. is if I'm watching your video.. and I'm thinking about anything else.. it's not keeping my attention.

Regardless.. Scott.. I understand your plight, and I understand your feeling on your post.. I sure in some way we all do. :D
"12 out of 10 crazy bald guys luv my new avatar!"

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:30 pm

One thing a bunch of creators and I have commented on over various messaging services and in person at cons is the proliferations of the dramatic-song-plus-dramatic-scenes-from-angsty-show formula that's just getting dumb. It's like the only reason the video is dramatic is because the scenes they were using were dramatic to begin with. Like a FuYu vid I saw at Fanime this year. It was just take-dramatic-scenes-and-string-them-together. It would've been just as dramatic without the audio at all.

Anthony came up with that as a good litmus test for whether a drama video is actually a good concept/well-fit-with-song. If you can remove the audio and the video has the same effect, then it wasn't a good video because it means everything was merely carried by the footage and the editor didn't have to do anything but lay scenes down with minimal cuts.

Videos that actually pair up a song with a series or scenes from various series and make them a SINGLE entity are the really good ones. Shameless rock video did this wonderfully, the song and the footage are both matched in tone and work together for a great video. There are some drama videos on these pro tapes I could watch on mute and I wouldn't lose anything, and that's a pity.

Return to “AMV Contests”