AXNY Winners

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Re: Popping out of my AWA-thread-only lurk mode:

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:45 pm

Big Big Truck wrote:(Don't dream it, be it!)
'Give yourself over to Absolute pleasure' :)

There's not really much more I can add to what EK just said. I'll just add my affirmation by nodding profusely

*nod nod nod*

jbone
Org Profile

Re: Popping out of my AWA-thread-only lurk mode:

Post by jbone » Mon Sep 09, 2002 6:47 pm

Big Big Truck wrote:Stupid, stupid brain. :x
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

OtakuOutpost
Org Profile

Post by OtakuOutpost » Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:19 pm

What amazes me about competitions is that the same rehashed conversation comes out of the end of each one of them.

The same people preach the same morals over and over again and we hear the same arguments about what AMV competitions are really about. Meanwhile, competition after competition, the only videos that are recognized are sellout concepts.

I'm bored with AMV watching now and pissed off at all the competitions, so why bother anymore? The dialog on this site is the same bickering that we've heard in the community for the last 5 years and there will never be an end to it.

To think that there's nothing left to do is lame. To say there's so many people making AMV's that it's impossible to come up with a new concept is really lame. The problem is the lack of creative thinking on peoples part.

People make amv's by listening to music and going, "hmmm... ya know that sounds a lot like this anime! I'll make a music video to it" That's why you see nothing but the same rehashed crap over and over again.

Think outside the NORM.

I've got about 30 concepts I've got floating in my head right now for videos unlike anything anybody else has tried yet. If I had less of a life, I might be able to get them done. As it is I will have to continue working at the breakneck pace of 1 video a year.

People who pump out 6 to 10 videos a year should die (alone).

--Tony

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:25 pm

OtakuOutpost wrote:I'm bored with AMV watching now and pissed off at all the competitions, so why bother anymore? The dialog on this site is the same bickering that we've heard in the community for the last 5 years and there will never be an end to it.
5 years? I've only really paid attention to this for about 8 months and I'm already getting tired of much of this. :-P
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:45 pm

OtakuOutpost wrote:What amazes me about competitions is that the same rehashed conversation comes out of the end of each one of them.

The same people preach the same morals over and over again and we hear the same arguments about what AMV competitions are really about. Meanwhile, competition after competition, the only videos that are recognized are sellout concepts.
What exacly do you consider a sellout concept? Just wondering what your definition is?
OtakuOutpost wrote:I'm bored with AMV watching now and pissed off at all the competitions, so why bother anymore? The dialog on this site is the same bickering that we've heard in the community for the last 5 years and there will never be an end to it.

To think that there's nothing left to do is lame. To say there's so many people making AMV's that it's impossible to come up with a new concept is really lame. The problem is the lack of creative thinking on peoples part.
I agree with the bickering, but that will NEVER go away since it exists in all walks of life. It's a human thing unfortunatly. I hear it in clubs, at cons, during competitions, at work, etc, etc... Sad but one just has to deal with it since escaping it is impossible...
OtakuOutpost wrote:People make amv's by listening to music and going, "hmmm... ya know that sounds a lot like this anime! I'll make a music video to it" That's why you see nothing but the same rehashed crap over and over again.

Think outside the NORM.

I've got about 30 concepts I've got floating in my head right now for videos unlike anything anybody else has tried yet. If I had less of a life, I might be able to get them done. As it is I will have to continue working at the breakneck pace of 1 video a year.
Well, it is a hobbly so I think people can do what every they want and we should have to pressure them into anything. Yes, I agree with better quality videos for contests, but it's kind of like the film industry where there are so many lame films and only a handfull of gems each year. I myself try many different kinds of concepts that may or may not be accepted (Just watch my lastest video). Personally I agree in trying something new, but that does not mean the concept must be "revolutionary" or compleatly new. I think if the video is sound and well done it can be just as good (Your videos this year were good solid drama, but not "revolutionary"...)

OtakuOutpost wrote:People who pump out 6 to 10 videos a year should die (alone).

--Tony
Sorry Tong, I find that statement way too generalized. I would rather see 6 - 10 good videos from someone rather than 2 bad videos...

Yes, I agree to take the time and do a good job, but some people do nothing but videos all year and can produce a large quantity... Yes, maybe 10 videos is too much, but where do you actually draw the line as to how many videos / year should be done in order to make good ones???

Vlad

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:06 pm

This does seem to be a re-ocurring discussion this year. A few thoughts I had were that a lot of people seem to be making drama videos and a lot of these videos share the same source. This is to be expected as anime is now more readily available. I have always found that a lot of the videos I really enjoyed weren't those that necessarily had the most superb editing but rather a good understanding of what audio melds well with the visuals.

Personally I happen to see a lot of twisting footage with drama videos where it doesn't really work out so well. In other words 60-70% of the tone matches but the other 30% is all off. This is hard when you are trying to replicate emotions from a show in either a similar or a different manner. I have sent one real drama video to contests and that was the Ryvius one from last year (somewhat of an anti-amv and more a narrative and tonal replication of the original work). That video was the hardest work I have done. Particularly because I avoided giving away any details which would break up the pacing of the plot for that wonderful show when someone actually gets to see it. This has worked to varying degrees. I've gotten input on it from friends (those who've seen the show, those who haven't, and those who don't watch anime). I did not connect with everyone on it and I don't think there is a single drama vid we could all agree on that would connect with everyone. Perhaps the big thing here is that most videos that use a similar show and go for the big picture are all trying to tell the same story.

It's not that more anime are getting duplicates in the contests. Remember people used to complain about all the Ranma vids? Well now it's drama vids. And they're not short and simple. Most people (take awa pro for example) are out to make the greatest monument to the show possible. Maybe because they loved it or maybe because they enjoy the process but in the end that doesn't matter. Drama used to be the category everyone in the audience yawned at. Now the tech is better but we've got more entries in it. So it merely seems like there's stagnation.

Many of these videos are all on par with each other. Without easy differentiation in the editing level we all fall back and begin to analyze the emotional impact more than we may have before. Before it may have been, "oh a nice character video...that was nice." Now it becomes, "it was put together well, but it didn't really grab me or make a great statement." Everyone has their hopes up for great videos but it's hard to get that without some variety. This does not mean there cannot be multiple great videos to the same footage or even same song as well in a contest.

I don't think there is stagnation. I just think everyone is interested in doing the same type of thing now. At one point it seemed like action. Now it seems to be drama which is probably the most perilous when it comes to losing a connection with your audience because oftentimes when you create it you can't see it doesn't connect because you sure as hell know what you're doing. Comedy is a lot more simpler for that. Just grab some friends if you're unsure and see if they laugh. Drama is a fine line. So I don't see stagnation, I just see a lot of similarities out there but there are plenty of diamonds in the rough if you will. Acen had some really good ones I enjoyed. And I have seen some other stuff people have floated my way.

On a side note: I also see a few anime where people clearly have misunderstood what the original work was about. The big offender in this is the Kenshin OVA (this is my personal opinion and no I am not going to start talking about which videos in particular I will only say I have seen some that based on the video concept they did not understand the original work).

All in all the most important thing that I believe is that it is the local submitters to contests, especially those who don't post here or in other on-line forums, are the ones who make the biggest impact. I always love sitting down at Acen to see what new stuff will be there. And to be honest I was very satisfied with that contest this year (with exception of small number of comedy vids). If I can think of one thing that may be hurting us is the elitist attitude that we seem to have from the viewpoint of the con-goers. It is these people who are the future amv makers we should be attracting. There's nothing wrong with them getting a shot and we should probably do a better job of encouragement on the creative side as opposed to the competitive side.

Hmmm... Comedy videos are few and far between at contests lately. I guess I need to get myself in gear with some of those comedy ideas I've been toying with... ^_^ Or maybe finally get some old school goodness going. Now here's an idea. Make a specific contest similar to the Japanese MAD contests. If only footage was more readily available for everyone for old stuff, I'd love to do a 1960-1984 anime footage contest.

OtakuOutpost
Org Profile

Post by OtakuOutpost » Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:28 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:Sorry Tony, I find that statement way too generalized. I would rather see 6 - 10 good videos from someone rather than 2 bad videos...

Yes, I agree to take the time and do a good job, but some people do nothing but videos all year and can produce a large quantity... Yes, maybe 10 videos is too much, but where do you actually draw the line as to how many videos / year should be done in order to make good ones???

Vlad
Yeah, but i would rather see 2 good videos over 1 good video and 5 crap videos.

=D

Yeah, it's generalized but was intended to be a bad attempt at humor.

--Tony[/b]

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:42 am

OtakuOutpost wrote:
Yeah, but i would rather see 2 good videos over 1 good video and 5 crap videos.

=D

Yeah, it's generalized but was intended to be a bad attempt at humor.

--Tony[/b]
Yep, I know what you mean there... I just don't want to disscurage peaple from doing thier hobbies that all... I do realize the humor attempt!

Vlad

wwf_htm
Org Profile

Post by wwf_htm » Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:40 am

Ashyukun wrote: As for music video creation... I've pretty much only seen the videos that were shown at AXNY this year, having been rather cut off from the anime world as of late, but if that was any indication, there just weren't as many that made me, well, want to watch them. Maybe there were always that many, well, mediocre videos entered but they didn't make the final cut, I don't know, but looking down the list there are only maybe a dozen or so that I really want to get copies of.
If ya have time, would you mind pointing out which vids from AXNY you thought were good enough to get copies of? I have a slow connection so I can't really get EVERYTHING. I'm interested in which drama ones were good...

HTM

here's a list of those shown:

Jennifer Wand
Title: None
Song: The Phanton of the Opera
Artist: The Phanton of the Opera, Original Case

Jennifer Wand
Song: Falling For The First Time
Artist: Barenaked Ladies

Jennifer Wand